Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

GreatDane

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Trevisol

View Post

That neck is mahogany. Mahogany has a variety of colors, from maple-blonde (My mother has an antique mahogany chest that is a similar color to alder), to dark like cherry, to brown like walnut.

But the grain pattern is unmistakable. That's Mahogany. Also, Dane, I returned your PM.

I'm glad to see it's not a dye. thumb.gif

you sound pretty convinced, so I'll go with it. the grain is definitely different on the neck than on the body, and then there's the description i posted earlier about maple necks being used on Deluxe's until the early 80s, but i'm no expert.

haven't received any PM yet~ maybe the gerbil fell asleep in the wheel wink.gif

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess it could be soft maple, or just an odd cut of maple.

grain2.jpg

That's soft maple. . . . could be that I guess.

But that looks like close-grained mahogany to me. In any event, it looks like it's real close in color to the mahog, so we'll get a good match out of it.

Also, the realtor came to show our apartment as i was typing the PM. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

not a typo, but i could be off base. i thought the wood looked too light to be mahogany, and recall that LPs of this era (1981) were maple necks in mahogany bodies (my '79 Custom is this way), so i assumed this was a maple neck. i also don't have tuners on the guitar right now, and the wood in the routes sure looks like maple. who knows? idn_smilie.gif

thank you for following along, Axe! i will be sending the guitar off to meandi a week from monday, and then the fun begins... thumb.gif

Hopefully meandi will do a progress thread with some of the how-to aspect of the project. I am concerned about working around the body binding with the scraping and whatnot. These cooperative efforts make this place cool...more is needed.

As for the wood, like Ryan T, I was thinking light mahogany. Then again some quartersawn maple exhibits those reflective grains like your neck. The answer should be realized when the paint is removed. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder

View Post

Hopefully meandi will do a progress thread with some of the how-to aspect of the project. I am concerned about working around the body binding with the scraping and whatnot. These cooperative efforts make this place cool...more is needed.

As for the wood, like Ryan T, I was thinking light mahogany. Then again some quartersawn maple exhibits those reflective grains like your neck. The answer should be realized when the paint is removed. thumb.gif

I will be doing a thread on my contribution to the project.

My job will be to clean up the cavity where the Kahler trem was mounted & fit a plug to fill it & shape to the contours of the top, as well as repairing the un-needed screw holes on the headstock from the Kahler string lock.

I must say what an honor it is, what with all the tremendously talented individuals on this forum, to have been asked by GreatDane to work on his guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

I will be doing a thread on my contribution to the project.

My job will be to clean up the cavity where the Kahler trem was mounted & fit a plug to fill it & shape to the contours of the top, as well as repairing the un-needed screw holes on the headstock from the Kahler string lock.

I must say what an honor it is, what with all the tremendously talented individuals on this forum, to have been asked by GreatDane to work on his guitar.

Okay cool, I didn't catch that. I thought you were going to do the finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

View Post

ok, the guitar is in the mail and off to meandi for repair. the guy at the fedex counter said 'three days' so it should arrive around the middle of next week.

Looking forward to it's arrival.

I'm finishing up a project for a friend this weekend...the maple archtop currently in the works is on the shelf...so I should be able to get to it when it gets here.

• Members

i also have some great news for all of you who followed and enjoyed meandi's archtop build thread~ meandi has agreed to do the whole project from start to finish! this includes the repair work, refinish and assembly! i can't even begin to describe how happy to am to have meandi taking on this entire thing. seriously.

the best part is; he's agreed to photo-document the entire project from beginning to end. this is going to be awesome!

special thanks to Ryan Trevisol and his dad for originally considering taking on the refin job. they clearly do some great work and definitely have the whole period-correct-restoration thing down.

in the end though, the moons were in the right alignment and my original choice of having meandi do the whole thing worked out (special thanks to his son for convincing him to get back into finish work after retiring from the business years ago). wink.gif

• Members

He did have a lot to do with my taking it on.

He's been suggesting for several years now that I should do this...that some of the stuff I'm building deserves more than the tung oil finishes I've been using.

He has a fair idea as to what's involved, as he helped me do a complete refinish on a black 7 series BMW several years ago.

I painted for 30+ yrs before getting out of it & I really thought I'd never be excited about picking up a spray gun again.

But, I gotta admit GreatDane, I'm looking forward with anticipation to this project.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 9-Pin-Phoenix

View Post

Meandi doing the whole thing? That's great news!

After following the archtop thread, I can't wait to see what I'll learn with this project!

it is great news! i'm hoping we're all going to see a pretty amazing thread unfold. it's not everyday we get to see a nice little Gibson LP on the HCForum workbench. according to Fedex, she should get to meandi's on thursday.

• Members

View Post

by the way, i asked Frets to change the thread title now that the project is a go. Thank you, Frets!

Good idea.

This way the continuity of the conversation to date flows right in to the actual work on the guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by harrisbquinn

View Post

so this is going to be the build thread? or will there be a new one?...WHERE DO I SUBSCRIBE!!!???!!!???

Since GreatDane had the title of this thread changed, I"ll be posting to this one.

This way, everything leading up to the build will be there along with the photos of & text reguarding the actual work.

Welcome aboard, it's going to be an exciting time!icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prages

View Post

This is going to be great.

I always dream of finding an old distressed LP and restoring it to a nice looking players piece.

Can't wait to see the work get started. thumb.gif

this has been my dream as well, and it's looking like my dream is going to be reality. i've had this "husk" sitting around for a number of years; i picked it up for a little bit of cash thinking that one day i'd be able to help bring her back to her former glory. it's been a long time coming, but i think this girl is about to get her day once again.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by harrisbquinn

View Post

so this is going to be the build thread? or will there be a new one?...WHERE DO I SUBSCRIBE!!!???!!!???

like meandi indicated~ this will be where it all goes down. i liked the idea of keeping the whole thing from beginning to end captured in this one thread. subscribe away, and i hope others out there will be able to follow along and enjoy the ride!

Archived