Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

GreatDane

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In anticiipation of GreatDanes guitar arriving tomorrow, I'm in the process of lining up my materials & a couple of other items needed for the job.

When I retired from the car thing I was working a 10,000 sq ft shop which was equiped with two 220 volt two stage compressors each on a 60 gallon tank, linked for pressure balance & wired to run together...lots of air available.

Neither of those are now in my possession.

So I've chosen a smaller portable 4 3/4hp single stage unit which is on a 25 gallon tank and provides about 6 cfm of air.

I'll be spraying with hvlp guns that require much less capacity than what will be available.

I'll also need some hoses & a regulator/moisture seperator.

It's not like I'm buying all this just for this project...my maple archtop that is currently in the works is slated to be a blond & have a nitro finish.

So I'm just getting things a little more quickly than I would have otherwise.

The two brands of nitro that I'm aware of are Behlen stringed instrument lacquer & Lawrence McFadden.

The McFadden is a bit more pricy but is my choice.

The list of builders who use McFadden is sort of like a whos who in the industry, and includes...

Andersen, Benedetto, Breedlove, Collings, Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I will also be using Color Tone liquid pigments for lacquer to add to clear for the black on the top of the guitar.

Color Tone Liquid Stain will be used to tint the base coat clears, to achieve the desired effect, on the rest of the guitar.

This will be something that will be sprayed on some sample pieces of mahogany for GreatDanes approval before applying to the guitar.

That's my up-date for today.

It'll get much busier after the guitar is actually in the shop & under way.smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

In anticiipation of GreatDanes guitar arriving tomorrow, I'm in the process of lining up my materials & a couple of other items needed for the job.

When I retired from the car thing I was working a 10,000 sq ft shop which was equiped with two 220 volt two stage compressors each on a 60 gallon tank, linked for pressure balance & wired to run together...lots of air available.

Neither of those are now in my possession.

So I've chosen a smaller portable 4 3/4hp single stage unit which is on a 25 gallon tank and provides about 6 cfm of air.

I'll be spraying with hvlp guns that require much less capacity than what will be available.

I'll also need some hoses & a regulator/moisture seperator.

It's not like I'm buying all this just for this project...my maple archtop that is currently in the works is slated to be a blond & have a nitro finish.

So I'm just getting things a little more quickly than I would have otherwise.

The two brands of nitro that I'm aware of are Behlen stringed instrument lacquer & Lawrence McFadden.

The McFadden is a bit more pricy but is my choice.

The list of builders who use McFadden is sort of like a whos who in the industry, and includes...

Andersen, Benedetto, Breedlove, Collings, Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I will also be using Color Tone liquid pigments for lacquer to add to clear for the black on the top of the guitar.

Color Tone Liquid Stain will be used to tint the base coat clears, to achieve the desired effect, on the rest of the guitar.

This will be something that will be sprayed on some sample pieces of mahogany for GreatDanes approval before applying to the guitar.

That's my up-date for today.

It'll get much busier after the guitar is actually in the shop & under way.smile.gif

why is this giving me shivers? seriously, this is giving me goosebumps. awesome.

• Members

Ok, GreatDane, you can breathe that sigh of relief...it arrived in one piece.

blacktop1.jpg

Some new Gibson parts...bridge, tailpiece, switch & switch collar + the rest of the components...even sent me a pick for my collection.smile.gif

blacktop2.jpg

A very nice SKB case.

blacktop3.jpg

Looks like we're good to go...nothing to do now, but to do it!

blacktop4.jpg

blacktop5.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rhynster

View Post

I'm really hoping that wine red comes off the neck and back easily, but the pessimist in me says it's not likely.

That black on natural look is phenomenal.

There was some speculation earlier in this thread as to whether or not this guitar was finished with dyes or pigmented color coats.

So, one of the first things I did was to strip a couple of spots to satisfy my own curiosity on this matter.

Both the neck & the body stripped clean in a snap...so it was not dye.

McFadden supplies grain fillers that are tinted to accomodate different woods...there is a substrate under the red that is not wood, yet is the same color as the wood...Gibson uses McFadden products (according to McFaddens web page).

The sanding dust smells like lacquer vs poly...there is a definative difference between the smell of the two materials.

So my hypothesis is that this is a lacquer finished guitar with a mahogany colored grain filler under the color coat.

blacktop6.jpg

Also, there was some question, based on a Wickipedia article supplied by Great Dane, as to whether or not this guitar has a maple neck.

The neck on this guitar is a closed grain wood with no open pores as on the body.

It is a very hard white wood that I cannot dent with the ole thumbnail hardness test, making me think that this is one of the maple necked instruments refered to in that article.

blacktop7.jpg

• Members

awesome, meandi~ i was hoping i was right about the neck being maple. this means that this guitar could in fact be one of the last of the maple necked deluxes they made. sweet!

i am SO happy to see that she'll clean up nice. i was admittedly a little worried. do you have everything you need (minus a few screws)? Bryan from BG should have the pickups done and out in a couple weeks. is there anything else she needs?

oh, and the pick is yours to add to the collection smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

awesome, meandi~ i was hoping i was right about the neck being maple. this means that this guitar could in fact be one of the last of the maple necked deluxes they made. sweet!

i am SO happy to see that she'll clean up nice. i was admittedly a little worried. do you have everything you need (minus a few screws)? Bryan from BG should have the pickups done and out in a couple weeks. is there anything else she needs?

oh, and the pick is yours to add to the collection smile.gif

Based on the way the grain looks, I believe that it's a quarter-sawn neck.

The photo below is of a neck I built for a Jackson body I have...which I know is quartered...grain lines look the same...will know more once I get it completely stripped.

jg34.jpg

I believe that everything is here.

Still don't have the compressor or paint materials in hand, but that is in the works.

Can always use another pick...I've only got a hundred or so...icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC

View Post

i have 2K posts and ive never wanted to subcribe to any thread. . . . . until now. . . so. . . how the HELL do i do this?

Look for "Thread Tools" near the top of the page, click, select "subscribe to thread" from the drop down menu.

• Members

I haven't read all of the responses, but that guitar is worthy of a good craftsman like you'd find through Dan Erlewine, George Gruhn, or Elderly. The original finish should be preserved (if that's the original) at all costs. Don't let someone {censored} it up with a rattle can or a {censored}ty half assed amateurish job. It may have more holes than it takes to fill the Albert Hall, but it's still an old Les Paul made in Kalamazoo with old wood--probably Honduran Mahogany and Michigan Maple--possibly Brazilian Rosewood.

Try to preserve as much as you can. Just say no to a complete refin.

Sorry to be a dick.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

I haven't read all of the responses, but that guitar is worthy of a good craftsman like you'd find through Dan Erlewine, George Gruhn, or Elderly. The original finish should be preserved (if that's the original) at all costs. Don't let someone {censored} it up with a rattle can or a {censored}ty half assed amateurish job. It may have more holes than it takes to fill the Albert Hall, but it's still an old Les Paul made in Kalamazoo with old wood--probably Honduran Mahogany and Michigan Maple--possibly Brazilian Rosewood.

Sorry to be a dick.

I think you're a little late. tongue.gif

• Members

View Post

Sorry to be a dick.

You should have read the entire thread first. facepalm.gif

Good Craftsman? Check.

No rattle cans? Check.

The guitar will end up being something the owner actually likes. It isn't really worth much in it's current state and most likely would not be worth any more if restored to 100% stock condition than it will be when done in the black top configuration.

It's just a guitar ya know.

• Members

View Post

Sorry to be a dick.

I pretty much agree. This is also why I can't stand it when people take old Firebirds and turn them into Camaros, or close enough with a Chevy motor. Oh well.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by milosch

View Post

I pretty much agree. This is also why I can't stand it when people take old Firebirds and turn them into Camaros, or close enough with a Chevy motor. Oh well.

This isn't the same thing, as soon as someone put a Kahler on there it hit it's classic all original value and it aint never comin back from that, and to be honest even if it is an early Norlin Deluxe ie pre panckake it's value still ain't that high, and if it's anywhere in the 73-84 region it's still only worth about 2k at most, these are not collectors guitars, but when it's finished by a craftsman as good as Meandi, it'll certainly look a million dollars.

If I were some of you guys I'd be looking for my favourite dressing for humble pie, cause you sure as {censored} are gonna be eatin lots of itthumb.gif

Archived