Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

GreatDane

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by atrox View Post
Yeah, that is pretty much the same exact thing I said last year. However, I'm not taking any work at all till this Fall

Good luck man. i hope you can get this thing done finally
hey Atrox! i remember you offering to do the work last year. i wrote back with your input on how to proceed and didn't hear back. not a big deal, because i didn't follow up either (moved on to other things and truthfully getting a little discouraged that no one was around to do the finish work). i figure i'd try this again. can someone with finishing skills and time help?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thank you for this information, meandi! thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
The black & clear nitro are both available from Stew Mac in spray cans.
I experimented with them several years ago.

With nitro, or for that matter, acrylic lacquers as well, the flash time of the thinners need to be tailored to temperature & humidity conditions for good flow out & to avoid blush in high temp/humidity conditions.
There-in lies the major problem with trying to do high quality work with spray cans.

Orange peel can always be leveled with wet sanding before proceeding.

Blush occurs primarially due to excessive humidity, especially on warm/hot days, which limits the ability of the atmosphere to accept the solvent vapors of the drying solvents from the sprayed lacquer.
This causes the sprayed paint film to "skin" over too quickly trapping un-evaporated solvents in the substrates of the paint film layer, causing the finish to turn greyish looking...not a pretty sight.

This is an easily controllable situation with slower drying thinners/retarders.
However, these options are simply not available to the painter when using spray can finishes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

hey Atrox! i remember you offering to do the work last year. i wrote back with your input on how to proceed and didn't hear back. not a big deal, because i didn't follow up either (moved on to other things and truthfully getting a little discouraged that no one was around to do the finish work). i figure i'd try this again. can someone with finishing skills and time help?

My sincerest apologies then. I have a hard time keeping track of the PMs in this place. I didn't mean to blow you off.

• Members

It's official!~ pending a response from meandi with shipping details, we have the repair aspect of this HC Forum Les Paul thread locked down.

meandi has agreed to photograph and document the progress in a new thread; work could begin as soon as June!

any available finishers out there? we're getting closer to having a HC Blacktop.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by atrox

View Post

My sincerest apologies then. I have a hard time keeping track of the PMs in this place. I didn't mean to blow you off.

seriously, no worries. like i said; i didn't do much to follow up at the time. one of these days, i'd like to work with you on owning my first Mason tele. love.gif

• Members

Ive done a TON of wood repair building finishing and refinishing, litterally acres of surface area, but we are mostly talking about wooden boats. I do know my way around a shop and musical instruments, BUT.... Meandi would be a far better choice for your piece of mind for this project. Plus I make alot of promises I am sincere about, but always get bogged down in too many projects. I got a dozen or so guitar projects laying around right now. If you couldnt find anyone to do it, I STILL would have done it for you.

Anyway, Meandi would be MY first choice too. Cant wait to see the thing in action. By the way, I am going to steal the idea for that Les Paul's color combination because it is AWESOME looking!!! Cant wait to see it finished. That Black top with the natural sides, back, neck, etc is just pure class.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow View Post
Ive done a TON of wood repair building finishing and refinishing, litterally acres of surface area, but we are mostly talking about wooden boats. I do know my way around a shop and musical instruments, BUT.... Meandi would be a far better choice for your piece of mind for this project. Plus I make alot of promises I am sincere about, but always get bogged down in too many projects. I got a dozen or so guitar projects laying around right now. If you couldnt find anyone to do it, I STILL would have done it for you.

Anyway, Meandi would be MY first choice too. Cant wait to see the thing in action. By the way, I am going to steal the idea for that Les Paul's color combination because it is AWESOME looking!!! Cant wait to see it finished. That Black top with the natural sides, back, neck, etc is just pure class.
i never knew you had the skills like that; guess i have to pay more attention around here. I've heard back from meandi and it's a go for June, so we will be seeing a Les Paul thread. now just need someone to do the Blacktop. And i completely agree, it's a very classy combo, indeed!

• Members

I'm extremely flattered by the reference! We actually have a black nitro guitar in process now, it's had all its coats of color and clear (5 and 4, it's a thin-skin), now it's curing for the final buff. I'll post up a pic, though it'll have the soft orange peel that the final clear coats tend to have.

In any event, let me confer with Trevisol the Elder, and I'll get back to you!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Trevisol View Post
I'm extremely flattered by the reference! We actually have a black nitro guitar in process now, it's had all its coats of color and clear (5 and 4, it's a thin-skin), now it's curing for the final buff. I'll post up a pic, though it'll have the soft orange peel that the final clear coats tend to have.

In any event, let me confer with Trevisol the Elder, and I'll get back to you!
PM sent~ I think we're nearing the finish line! this is very exciting...

• Members

Glad things are lining up for you.

I was wondering why you decided to re-finish the top. I know that there will be the big patch from the Kahler, but I can't help but think back to all of the great guitars that we love because they show the battle scars of their lives. It's almost a shame to have plastic surgery on this one so young.

The black top will look nice though, no doubt.

• Members

Hey, 9-Pin!

i'm looking to have the entire guitar refin'd as what I call a "black top"; gloss black top with honey-stained back and sides; like a gold top, but with black instead. the original finish on this Deluxe was never doing it for me; I have some wine red guitars that i think are dead-sexy, but this one ain't it. i think the new look will be awesome, and i've always wanted a blacktop.

1.jpg

2.jpg

i've got all the hardware and a set of creme P90s and she's going to be a killer when all is completed!

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
Hey, 9-Pin!

i'm looking to have the entire guitar refin'd as what I call a "black top"; gloss black top with honey-stained back and sides; like a gold top, but with black instead. the original finish on this Deluxe was never doing it for me; I have some wine red guitars that i think are dead-sexy, but this one ain't it. i think the new look will be awesome, and i've always wanted a blacktop.

1.jpg
From the pic title this is an 81 deluxe in Wine?

• Members

i came up with the idea one day talking with another guitar player friend; we were talking about variations on the goldtop theme, and i thought it would be cool to do a "blacktop". the pics are from a google search i did once. i have no idea if there truly exists a Gibson like this, or if it's an artist rendition. all i know is i want to have one done.

Archived