The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No Yamaha guitar at the moment, though I've owned three.

My current #2 amp is an 80s G100-112. In high school jazz band, my school had four or five of these in 2x12 form along with a couple JC120s. I always preferred how the Yamahas sounded. Not necessarily more 'tube-like' but it just felt more responsive and sounded more alive.

Anyway, flash forward about 18 or 19 years... I got one of these a couple years ago for pocket change, basically. My main rig is a Dr Z Carmen Ghia 2x10 with a reverb pedal and three dirt pedals including a Wampler Ecstasy Drive which is somewhat in the Dumble family. I leave it on basically all the time for cleans and low gain tones. I swear than the Yamaha is about 80% as good for about 1/20th the price.

The amps have a very lively clean tone. I'm a Fender and Vox guy at heart and usually don't play with much gain. I'm pretty happy with the clean channel on the Yamaha and the clean tone of the OD channel with the gain turned down. The gain channel is also in the Dumble ballpark, much like the II series Fenders of the late 70s and early 80s. Basically trying to get into the area of early Boogie lead tones of relatively little dirt, but long, singing sustain. Very cool.

I hadn't played it in a while as the Q control on the parametric was scratchy and because of where it lies in the circuit, it was unbelievably loud when adjusted. I took it apart a couple weeks ago, sprayed all the pots and all the connectors with contact cleaner. Fixed the issue and made the reverb sound quite a bit bigger.

Great amps... definitely under appreciated and, likely, under-known.

DSC_7220a1.jpg

DSC_7237a1.jpg

DSC_8757a1800.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GibsonVMan

View Post

Scored a Yamaha RGX320FZ. Awesome guitar for $190!!

I test drove several RGX520FZ and RGX320FZ guitars that were on a weekend blow-out sale at Guitar Center about three ago.

Out of the whole batch, I ended up buying a gunmetal grey RGX320FZ for $199 over any of the more expensive RGX520FZ guitars. Simply an excellent playing guitar. I'm sure it's a cousin of some other very similar MIK Schecter and Ibanez models that have the same shape, but different hardware and finishes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GibsonVMan

View Post

So..I just snagged a Yamaha Chorus pedal. How many pedals did they make? I had no clue that they were even made??

Does it look like this:

$(KGrHqV,!icE6MBMhBm+BOwHZSqYQ!~~60_3.JP

If so, then good on you! That whole series was co-designed with KORG and built like tanks. I have had the flanger and EQ and both were excellent.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus

View Post

Does it look like this:

If so, then good on you! That whole series was co-designed with KORG and built like tanks. I have had the flanger and EQ and both were excellent.

Nope, it's one of the newer ones I guess. Made in Japan. It will be here in a few days...

• Members

View Post

I saw a digital delay from that same series for $125 BIN on Ebay a couple of weeks ago.I almost pulled the trigger on that one.

Ed

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Radar-Love

View Post

I test drove several RGX520FZ and RGX320FZ guitars that were on a weekend blow-out sale at Guitar Center about three ago.

Out of the whole batch, I ended up buying a gunmetal grey RGX320FZ for $199 over any of the more expensive RGX520FZ guitars. Simply an excellent playing guitar. I'm sure it's a cousin of some other very similar MIK Schecter and Ibanez models that have the same shape, but different hardware and finishes.

I don't blame you. These are amazing!

• Members

OK, my RGX620 finally arrived! Won this on eBay for an insane $160. Took the seller a week to ship and the holidays messed up delivery but she is finally here. I will never be without a Yamaha electric again!!

6583925863_cf3bf000a6_b.jpg

The trem arm is missing so I might go ahead an upgrade to a Wilkinson. I think that the transparent red pickup rings are a nice touch:

6583927741_11d2b969e9_z.jpg

• Members

View Post

OK, my RGX620 finally arrived! Won this on eBay for an insane $160. Took the seller a week to ship and the holidays messed up delivery but she is finally here. I will never be without a Yamaha electric again!!

6583925863_cf3bf000a6_b.jpg

The trem arm is missing so I might go ahead an upgrade to a Wilkinson. I think that the transparent red pickup rings are a nice touch:

6583927741_11d2b969e9_z.jpg

What's that on the end the end of the fretboard?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS KING

View Post

Are people still rocking out with their blow out TVLs?

I didn't get one, but Doc Morbius did and it was a fine guitar at any sub $2,000 price point, let alone the blowout price.

I probably should have bought his. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

View Post

I didn't get one, but Doc Morbius did and it was a fine guitar at any sub $2,000 price point, let alone the blowout price.

I probably should have bought his. idn_smilie.gif

I still have mine. Does he still have his?

It really is a great guitar.......for the price, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better guitar.

This is one of the few times I'm glad I jumped on a blowout deal.....they all haven't been as great.

I haven't changed the strings either. eek.gifidn_smilie.gif

They're D'Addario.....but I've never had another set last that long......

• Members

No, he either flipped it for a profit or sent it back. I can't remember. I think he just didn't like the 335 type body.

I'm not super picky, but I've played a lot of nice guitars in my day... I'd say his was pretty much flawless.

Sure it would benefit from higher end pickups, but man... very solid guitar. Unbelievable for the blowout price.

Archived