The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ultradust

View Post

I decided to play it stock for the tour, and then re-assess things afterwards before considering going with a different set.

Although I haven't measured the resistance, I kept feeling the stock pickups were a tad hotter than what I was really after, as they were pushing the Super Reverb I had for most of the tour (the above photo with the AC15 was taken early on) with more midrange honk than I wanted, though I was quite alright with the way it was slamming my compressor and dirt boxes in the signal chain. Maybe that was why I got such fantastically good single coil sounds, especially from the neck when doing funky rhythmic chunking. From what I remember, Moollon Standard humbuckers typically run between 7.2k and 8.0k, but I might ask boss to do something a bit hotter than that, while seeing if he can do his magic to retain as much upper end chime as possible.

We'll see, I'm honestly very pleased with the SG1000 as it is for the most part, but love thinking about the potential...

GYAAAAAAAAH!!!11

269011_353956809980_501104980_1253420_30

I've replaced the P'ups on my SG's for SD's JB on the bridge and SH01 on the neck, they absolutely scream! (The coil-split function is rendered useless by this action).

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by BoneNut

View Post

Maybe you all can help me out here.

I'm interested in GFS's new brass bridge. ( http://www.guitarfetish.com/SOLID-BR...SS_p_4217.html )

I wrote them and they say it has 74mm post spacing. I want it for my Yammi SA2200 but I can't find the bridge specs for the SA2200 anywhere. Does anyone here know the Yamaha spacing?

Just curious - what's wrong with the stock bridge?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Weiner_Bomb

View Post

My sg 1500 is actually pretty darn light. It also doesnt have a maple cap. All mahogany.

Sorry, I was using a SG2000 as a comparison. I've heard so many people say that SG's are heavy, but never heard anyone say the same thing about a Les Paul. I've had a 2000 in one hand, and a LP custom in the other hand and I really didn't notice much difference, if anything, I thought the LP was slightly heavier.

• Members

View Post

I'm interested in GFS's new brass bridge. ( http://www.guitarfetish.com/SOLID-BR...SS_p_4217.html )

I wrote them and they say it has 74mm post spacing. I want it for my Yammi SA2200 but I can't find the bridge specs for the SA2200 anywhere. Does anyone here know the Yamaha spacing?

Print a millimeter scale via .pdf, and you should be able to measure it very easily yourself.

• Members

Not sure I ever got an answer, but are there any Yamaha electric solid bodies either Pacifica, RGZ or RGX models without a locking nut with 1 11/16" width necks (at the nut)? I have a few Pacifica teles and they all seem pretty narrow 1 5/8". I know 1/16" doesn't sound like much, but at the nut and with narrow string spacing it does make a difference.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMC

View Post

Just curious - what's wrong with the stock bridge?

Nothing at all! It works perfectly of course but those new brass ones from GFS look cool and seem solid as hell. Just something I'd like to try.

Quote Originally Posted by larryguitar

View Post

Print a millimeter scale via .pdf, and you should be able to measure it very easily yourself.

Thnaks. How should I measure? From center of hole to center of hole?

• Members

View Post

I think I shared this with you in the past, BN, but just in case, I once bought a lovely schaller finetuning tailpiece (à la TP-6) for my SA2200 and it didn't fit so whatever it is, the Yammie has a different size than what the schaller was intended for. If the store you buy from has a good no-hassle return policy, it could be worth just trying one you like and return it if you're not in luck. Good luck with your quest.

• Members

The SA2200 at least has a far more traditional bridge than my SA1200S. I wonder why they changed because the old tune-o-matic design on my SA is much better than the newer one. Probably impossible to find parts though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Another heads-up for UK Yamaholics.... a Yamaha Pacifica 821D in a beautiful transparent red burst; gold hardware, HSH, licensed Floyd Rose trem, 24 frets:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1306358402...#ht_500wt_1202

currently at £122 with 4 hours to run.

I owned one from new until I sold it for £200 a couple of years ago. FANTASTIC guitar, variety of excellent tones, the licensed FR trem performed well too. I only sold it as I had moved from rock/metal to blues and wanted a Strat (which I've since replaced with a Yamaha Pacifica 904, awesome upgrade).

There's also a Pacifica 604 on eBay UK right now that would make a nice intermediate guitar on par with a USA Strat - currently £111 with a few days to go.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1

View Post

Not sure I ever got an answer, but are there any Yamaha electric solid bodies either Pacifica, RGZ or RGX models without a locking nut with 1 11/16" width necks (at the nut)? I have a few Pacifica teles and they all seem pretty narrow 1 5/8". I know 1/16" doesn't sound like much, but at the nut and with narrow string spacing it does make a difference.

I'm pretty sure my RGZ112P is 1 11/16th and they can be found cheap.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1

View Post

Since the Pac904 was discontinued, I'm not sure that they do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a big Yamaha fan. My guitar of choice is the SF1000 Superflighter. I have 2 - the Blonde natural and the Oil Stain. Both are 1978's. The Blonde is in player condition and I bought it a couple of years after the Oil Stain that came to me from a dear friend who died. As well, the Oil Stain is near mint so it doesn't leave the house.

1978 SF1000 Superflighter Oil Stain

SFoilstain.jpg' alt='>'>

!978 SF1000 Superflighter Blonde

SFblonde.jpg' alt='>'>

!978 SF1000 Superflighter Blonde (Hi Rez detail)

Sf1000blonde.jpg' alt='>'>

Yamaha's forgotten guitar. Referred to as the "Les Paul Killer" when it came out. It seems Carlos Santana started on this model before gravitating to the newer SG2000 that Yamaha wanted him to promote.

24 frets, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, twin humbuckers, coil split, gold hardware, contour body.

If you ever have the chance to pick one up, do so without hesitation. Without fail, every time I start playing one, it takes only a minute before I think to myself, "This is a {censored}ing nice guitar."

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnneP

View Post

I'm a big Yamaha fan. My guitar of choice is the SF1000 Superflighter. I have 2 - the Blonde natural and the Oil Stain. Both are 1978's. The Blonde is in player condition and I bought it a couple of years after the Oil Stain that came to me from a dear friend who died. As well, the Oil Stain is near mint so it doesn't leave the house.

1978 SF1000 Superflighter Oil Stain

SFoilstain.jpg' alt='>'>

!978 SF1000 Superflighter Blonde

SFblonde.jpg' alt='>'>

!978 SF1000 Superflighter Blonde (Hi Rez detail)

Sf1000blonde.jpg' alt='>'>

Yamaha's forgotten guitar. Referred to as the "Les Paul Killer" when it came out. It seems Carlos Santana started on this model before gravitating to the newer SG2000 that Yamaha wanted him to promote.

24 frets, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, twin humbuckers, coil split, gold hardware, contour body.

If you ever have the chance to pick one up, do so without hesitation. Without fail, every time I start playing one, it takes only a minute before I think to myself, "This is a {censored}ing nice guitar."

Beautiful!

Archived