The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMC

View Post

I've been looking for a DG-80 for some time and the testimonies in these pages have only increased my GAS!

A used model has come up for sale in the UK for £220 'as new' and was wondering whether this was a good deal?

Well, if it really is like-new, £220 would be a decent price.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Moot

View Post

Wow! I'd never even heard of the T100! What a beast!

I like the big Yamaha logo on it - very cool.

They are actually a Soldano SLO-100 variant -- designed by Greg Soldano and manufactured by Yamaha in the early '90s.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by onelife

View Post

Before you write off digital modeling completely, you owe it to yourself to try one of the DG series amps. Yamaha really did capture what is good about tube amps with this line while leaving out the negative bits...

well i mix'n'match anyway - just laid down a track with a 112V Pacifica through a tube-Bugera practice amp beefed up with a Boss BD box + reverb. Best guitar sound i ever heard biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Radar-Love

View Post

They are actually a Soldano SLO-100 variant -- designed by Greg Soldano and manufactured by Yamaha in the early '90s.

You mean Mike Soldano. It was available as as 50 watt head and 1x12 combo too. When I find a moment I'll dig out the Yamaha product brochure and post it. If I'm not mistaken Soldano offered a couple of mods for these amps to improve their performance after Yamaha discontinued them. These amps were built in the U.S. BTW.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mjones53

View Post

Hello, I was told this is the Yamaha group, I posted my new made in Japan '83 SBG200 link here

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...-made-in-Japan

I sold one just like it 2 years ago. Very Nice guitars. I still have it's big brother- and sbg 2000.

Picture018.jpg

Someone added a coil split switch and I don't know if the pups were original.

• Members

Rik has (or had, I dunno since the Dean signature model) a lot of pull at Yamaha in the days I was there (90's). Did some clinics with him, and he's an outstanding musician. Triumph was never my thing, but that boy can play and sing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mjones53

View Post

Hello, I was told this is the Yamaha group, I posted my new made in Japan '83 SBG200 link here

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...-made-in-Japan

Hi! Welcome to the forum, mjones53!

And congrats on your new SBG! I've been trying to track one of its older siblings for a bit now. I hear great things about them. And I've heard great things about the StewMac pickups, too, though I haven't tried any yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, so in anticipation of my new Weddington Special, I decided to sell my RGX620z. I meet the buyer in my office and he is really cool. We talk guitars for a bit and turns out he knows a thing or two about Yamahas, too (used to own a RGX-TT). On his way out he says, "Hey since you are a Yamaha fan you might be interested to know that I own two TA60 amplifiers."

TA60? What the heck is that? Turns out it is this:

S9904080011.jpg

Woah. Trippy stuff. He offered to let me borrow to see if I like it and want to buy one. Anyone have experience with this beast?

• Members

Does anyone know anything about Yamaha H.I.P.S. pickups? They're stock on old Image/MSG Customs.

Are they active, or is there a preamp in the guitar? Has anyone changed his/her's with success?

Thanks!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTheAge

View Post

They were made in Taiwan, at least mine was. Not sure what the J does stand for, but it does not denote built in Japan.

I see, thanks for the info. It's hard to find good information on the older Pacificas.

• Members

Some quick and dirty iPhone pics of my new Image Custom! It's from 1989.

3ee4e0d0.jpg

7ee66044.jpg

c96ea73a.jpg

It took a lot of cleaning and care, but it's a great guitar with cool options and a variety of tones; the active boost comes in handy for the single-coil sounds.

I was able to drop the action lower than I prefer without buzzes or drop-outs. Bending is a breeze thanks to its 24.75" length (and some Gorgomite!)

This will likely become my grab-n-go guitar. Very comfy neck. The vibrato works well with no tuning issues, not that I use it much. I've heard complaints about low sustain with these guitars, but mine sustains a normal amount, I'd say. More than most strats.

I'll get better pics tomorrow.

Still looking for any info on these H.I.P.S. pickups!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus

View Post

Well, I have had some great scores over the years, today may have been the best of all. Took a couple of days off work and this afternoon, while running errands, I decided to check out my local Guitar Center. I sold some stuff recently actually even had a little money to play. Been dying for a singlecut and just last week I missed out on a black Weddington Special on eBay for a BIN of $400. Walked around the store twice just checking things. Suddenly, my eye recognizes a familiar head stock on a guitar sitting by itself hidden by some amps. Took me a minute to realize that it had the Yamaha logo on. Price tag was $299 so I immediately assumed it was an AES500 or something. Wait--no pickguard. So I picked it up to see what it was. Lo and behold, a black Weddington Special! Plugged it in and fell in love. Pickups sound great and the pot are silent and smooth. Only issue is a cracked nut. A little negotiation and the agreed to install the nut if I bought the part. Luckily, they had a Tusq XL in stock! In our area, used stuff has to sit in the store for 30 days to check police reports so I can't get it until April 20 but I am pretty damn excited! I will post pics as soon as I have it.

Finally picked it up today!

7097786405_81da90f688_b.jpg

6951715848_1ba4b5a3b1_b.jpg

The camera flash created some weird spots but the guitar has NO scratches (other than typical polish and pick scratches) or nicks on it at all. The only issues are some pitting on the bridge and some rust on the pickups screws. Other than that, solid as a rock! So happy.

• Members

Geez, it must have been a long month for you. Nice axe!

Are those Q100's in your Weddington? I had no idea Yamaha used them in anything other than their AES-1500s.

A big congratulations to you! And just in time for the weekend!

• Members

View Post

Geez, it must have been a long month for you. Nice axe!

Are those Q100's in your Weddington? I had no idea Yamaha used them in anything other than their AES-1500s.

A big congratulations to you! And just in time for the weekend!

Thanks! Yeah the Q100 was standard on all Weddingtons. They sound fantastic.

• Members

What? No love for the Image Custom?

View Post

Some quick and dirty iPhone pics of my new Image Custom! It's from 1989.

3ee4e0d0.jpg

7ee66044.jpg

c96ea73a.jpg

It took a lot of cleaning and care, but it's a great guitar with cool options and a variety of tones; the active boost comes in handy for the single-coil sounds.

I was able to drop the action lower than I prefer without buzzes or drop-outs - it's back where I like it now, but it's a good neck. Bending is a breeze thanks to its 24.75" length (and some Gorgomite!)

This will likely become my grab-n-go guitar. Very comfy neck. The vibrato works well with no tuning issues, not that I use it much. I've heard complaints about low sustain with these guitars, but mine sustains a normal amount, I'd say. More than most strats.

Archived