[metathread] $1.52 boy

boy#152

• Members

I am wondering if Richards or Jones told him what to do? I cant recall any real noteworthy spanki from him?:confused:

His wife is like 12 or 14, I forget. Maybe she's 16 by now:confused:

RBTV thinkin all Stonezy:mad:

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He laid down good stuff, yet in retrospect some of his parts are unsophisticated. I think it can be said that the electric bass guitar was still almost a brand new instrument in the early 60's. While some early players gave us timeless material, some didn't.

Wyman's playing suited the Stones, that's what really counted.

• Members

Not overly complex, but always tasteful. I love the playing on Beggar's Banquet.

Richards played the bassline on "Sympathy for the Devil," but Wyman did most of the work. I don't know if he actually wrote the lines but he played them so that counts for something in my book.

His playing was pretty standard for 60s bassists early on, and he developed his own style that and some pretty cool lines as the Stones kept growing musically.

• Members

Originally posted by bigbottomline

I read an interview and found out that he often played a fretless. I was surprised.

True?
:rolleyes:

Yep - he recorded a lot with some cheapie defretted short scale - I forget the maker. He wasn't a chops guy, but he played on a lot of terrific tracks - he understood swing & feel real well. My favorite is We Love You - check that one out.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

Yep - he recorded a lot with some cheapie defretted short scale - I forget the maker. He wasn't a chops guy, but he played on a lot of terrific tracks - he understood swing & feel real well. My favorite is
We Love You
- check that one out.

I'm pretty sure HE was the maker! :cool:

• Members

Wyman's a very underrated player - he's even more forgotten about than Mario Cippolina of Huey Lewis and the News.

Bill Wyman really started stretching out after 1980 or so. "Start me Up" is great. So is "Emotional Rescue" and "Under Cover of the Night". This is assuming that he played that stuff - it could have been Woody, Keith, or Wimbish, for all I know.

• Members

I remember reading an interview with Noel Redding where he picked up Wyman's bass and could barely play the thing. He said it had "weird strings" on it and wouldn't stay in tune. I don't know exactly what he was referring to though.

Keep in mind Redding was essentially a guitarist recruited to play bass, while Wyman came to the electric bass from the upright and cello.

I loved how Wyman wore his bass strapped on too.

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

I'm pretty sure HE was the maker!
:cool:

According to the book "How the Fender Bass Changed the World", it was an unnamed Japanese knockoff that he defretted with the intent to refret it, but discovered if he fretted directly on the slots where the frets used to be he could get what he needed. He never put frets back in it. This bass is the one he used prominently on "Paint it Black".

• Members

Originally posted by the_big_geez

Q:did Bill Wyman do any good bass work?

A: Nah. Unless you count always being there on time...

And he played mean cello on 'Their Satanic Majesties' Request'.

But maybe you've never heard the 'Stones' sole foray into psychedelia...

That's my favourite Stones record!!!

Liked Wyman very much as a bass player. He just did what he had to do with sometimes a little twist.

• Members

Originally posted by JC Bass

According to the book "How the Fender Bass Changed the World", it was an unnamed Japanese knockoff that he defretted with the intent to refret it, but discovered if he fretted directly on the slots where the frets used to be he could get what he needed. He never put frets back in it. This bass is the one he used prominently on "Paint it Black".

The bass was branded "Tuxedo" by the manufacturer. It's unclear if it was made in Japan or the UK.

Bill bought it for 8 pounds sterling back in 1961. He reshaped the body and defretted the neck with the intention of replacing the frets with new ones, but discovered the bass sounded better fretless, so he chose to leave it that way.

Here's a photo of Bill playing it.

Wyman61bass.JPG

He ended up recording the Stone's biggest hits with that bass during the 60's. He said that he preferred it over all other basses in the studio at that time even though he played a Framus "Star Bass" on stage.

Bill considered the bass to be "homemade" in his opinion because he changed it so much from the way it was originally made.

TD

• Members

I guess, but Emotional Rescue has got to be the one Stones song I absolutely can not stand. The rest of their stuff is primo. I'd Have to say Child of the moon and Jump on top of me Baby are 2 of my favorites. I like Sweet Virginia a lot too along with Dance Little Sister.

• Members

Originally posted by gretschzildjian

That's my favourite Stones record!!!

Liked Wyman very much as a bass player. He just did what he had to do with sometimes a little twist.

'Why don't we sing this song all together?

'Open our hearts let the feelings come...

'And if we sing this song all together,

'Then we will know where we all come from'

Several times when throwing a party, someone will say 'got any 'stones', man?' I say, 'Sure! I'll get some on here soon,' and cue this album up.

After a while the same guy asks, 'what are we listening to; it's kinda cool...'

Man, I just LOVE that ear-peircing, over-reverbed feedback on 'Citadel'...

Archived