Would you drive over 400 miles one way, on your own dime...

Marko

• Members

Hell, We take a lot of free gigs (hate to say it), but I wouldn't touch that one. not in a million years.

Sounds like the bandmates are trying to make a power move on you, they book the show then pull that BS about how you guys CANT AFFORD to not play a show you booked .. making the potential cancellation the crime instead of the booking.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno about that: you've got 2 members that don't wanna drive 800 miles roundtrip to play for free.

What's so unreasonable about that?

I make it clear UPFRONT that I WON'T do any free gigs, with the exception of local fund-raisers: at that point, there is no need for discussion.

{censored} like this is why bands break up: I don't get it really - state your expectations clearly and upfront and these situations should never happen.

I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong, just that there's no reason not to at least discuss it.

• Members

Depends. Would I drive 400 miles to open for AC/DC in front of 50,000 people, Yes.

Would I drive 400 miles to open at the local county fair for a band that had a hit on the radio in 1973 in front of 500 people. Probably not.

Not enough info.

Those are my thoughts exactly. If it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, I'd probably do it. Otherwise, there is no chance in hell.

• Members

I wouldn't do the gig, mainly because if you actually DID get exposure from the gig that lead to paying gigs, those paying gigs would be 400 miles from where you live, too, if not more. However in your case it almost sounds like the decision has already been made by the other members who booked it. Maybe the only choice you have now is whether to be a part of it or not. Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

• Members

Nope. However, I have driven that distance for hi-paying gigs........ also, think of this the next time the word "Exposure" is thrown at you: Try to think of the names of the (unsigned/unknown) bands that opened for bigger names in recent years. Can you remember any of them?

• Members

I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong, just that there's no reason not to at least discuss it.

Yeah, I guess so.

Not sure if I could be so understanding: something aint' right with a band setup that allows a cat to book a free gig and then try to guilt-trip me into showing up.

I think rather than focus on this situation, the OP would do well to question how this situation came to be in the first place: nothing will kill a band faster than some well-intentioned (or not) cat taking it upon him/herself to book a gig without respecting the boundaries and availability of the other band members. :idea:

In my current band, I let everybody know right out of the gate that I for one am NOT interested in playing for the door or for free: that sets the boundary right there, in no uncertain terms.

• Members

The only way this show makes sense is if you were in your 20's, original, already have a nice following, have merch (including a great demo/release), have a shot at actually getting a deal some day, and there would be 1000's of people.

Under the circumstances, there is no way in Hell to justify playing that show.

• Members

I wouldn't do the gig, mainly because if you actually DID get exposure from the gig that lead to paying gigs, those paying gigs would be 400 miles from where you live, too, if not more.

This.

If it were 10 miles away, I'd still have to think about it. On a Saturday night when we would otherwise be pulling real money at a local bar? I'll take the bar gig.

In my experience playing free gigs usually leads to a whole lot more... free gigs. :poke:

• Members

For a town fair? NO!

I might consider something like this if it were a music festival I'd enjoy attending anyway, if the rest of the band felt the same way, if we were accorded all percs and advantages as artists/performers, and if the national act was equivilant to Jesus Christ or one of the top three Disciples.

• Members

A note for the "There's no reason not to discuss it" folks. It was discussed. Marko and singer were clear that they were "out". Now, there's going to be a discussion all right, but the subject will be different.

Some have brought up that Lead &/or Drums might try to guilt you into it by saying it would look bad to refuse to play a booked job. Hmmm... I b'lieve I mght contact the venue. "I'm Mr. Marko, and I represent "The Band". I note from your promotional material that "The Band" is scheduled to play your event. Unfortunately "The Band" has had other long standing committments for that date, and will be unable to work your event into their calendar this year. It would interest me to kow how "The Band" came to be booked at your event, as our schedule for that time period has been full for quite some time, and I am the only person authorized to book and schedule "The Bands" appearances. In the future, any inquiries into schedules or bookings of "The Band" should directed to me personally, (Name, address, phone #, e-mail address). Thank you for your interest in "The Band", and I hope this misunderstanding has not caused you any inconveniance. Sincerely, Mr. Marko."

So if he wants to say you can't cancel a scheduled gig, you can say "Cram it, Clown. It's already cancelled." I might drive 400 miles to see the look on his face if you drop that bomb on him.

• Members

So if he wants to say you can't cancel a scheduled gig, you can say "Cram it, Clown. It's already cancelled."

So far so good.

But you left out the next part:

"You and the rhythm guitar player, pack your stuff and get out. You're no longer a part of this band."

• Members

From your original post it seems that the other band members seem to think that they are going on IMMEDIATELY before the headliner. When what usually happens is you'll be scheduled to go on at 1:00pm and the headliner comes on at 10:00pm

Quick side note. I got major {censored} from a band a couple of years ago because I wouldn't drive 200 miles over closed highways to a bar gig. Finally I had the guys call the bar. The owner said "We've got 4 feet of snow here, so we'd probably just send you home if you show up."

• Members

Would I do it? Depends. We are all approaching 50 in my band and we would probably do something stupid like that. But our motives would be different. We all have successful careers and are not in this to "make it". We would probably look at like a vacation from work/family and a chance to say we got to play with...(fill in the blank).

Archived