Would you drive over 400 miles one way, on your own dime...

Marko

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hell no, 400 miles for freebie. I'm betting you can get all the free gigs you can handle less then 40 miles. Plus it's on your dime screw that. Your 50 you been around long enough to know the biz. apparently the other guy hasn't been in for very long. I can't think of any bands that made it big time at our age. I'm 47. Only one to comes to mind is Kentucky Headhunters. I know those guys finally made it big time pretty late in their career. But from what info. I read about them they were rocker's first. Been musician for like 30 years if memory serves me right I believe one of them said they we're stuck at Dumas Walker's place for like 17 years and finally got that lucky break. I dunno if their even still around. I don't listen to much country only when it playing on other folks radio.

• Members

Hell no, you are right on in your thinking!!! Driving 400 miles to play for free (oh, sorry, "exposure" as they put it, but as you pointed out we all know what "exposure" really means) is absolutely rediculous, it's pretty obvious that the guys in your band that are pushing for it it just want to play rock star. Screw that, let them do it on their own time (and dime).

I can't believe that they got you guys on the bill even after you and the singer said no, that is unbelievably childish, as is the fact that they don't even have the balls to talk to you about it on the phone or even in person, they have to email you with the guise of talking about "band issues", they can't even come out and say it.

Just tell 'em they can do whatever they want but that you and the singer aren't going and that booking you guys when you had already said you didn't want to do it is unacceptable. End of story. If I was ever in a band that did that to me (and combined with wanting to keep that hack rythym guitarist) I'd be out of there ASAP, but I realize it's on that easy in your case. Given how the 3 of them are behaving I'd say it's time for you and the singer to start looking for a new drummer and guitarists, especially as it seems that they are united against you guys. Good luck hope everything works out.

• Members

Given your situation, it definitely isn't an advantageous thing to do; however, it seems like the guys who are in favor of taking the gig are drawn in by something else. Maybe it's the chance to play for a large crowd? Maybe it's the pride of opening for a 'national act'?

You guys will just need to have an honest conversation. Maybe draw up a list of the pros and cons of doing the gig. But don't let the fill in guy have a say! Let us know how it goes.

• Members

Depends. Would I drive 400 miles to open for AC/DC in front of 50,000 people, Yes.

Would I drive 400 miles to open at the local county fair for a band that had a hit on the radio in 1973 in front of 500 people. Probably not.

Not enough info.

• Members

Sounds like you have a hostile takeover going on. I'm betting that the singer and yourself don't know that the new guy is a done deal. I would certainly ask him to step outside while the actual band discusses "issues" and see what developes from that.

I hope that you or the singer own the PA.

• Members

Sounds like you have a hostile takeover going on. I'm betting that the singer and yourself don't know that the new guy is a done deal. I would certainly ask him to step outside while the actual band discusses "issues" and see what developes from that.

I hope that you or the singer own the PA.

I agree. I don't think the talk involves the festival.

• Members

Depends. Would I drive 400 miles to open for AC/DC in front of 50,000 people, Yes.

Would I drive 400 miles to open at the local county fair for a band that had a hit on the radio in 1973 in front of 500 people. Probably not.

Not enough info.

LMAO.. that's what I was thinking. I would do it for the chance to open for a band that I really like. AC/DC didn't come to mind, but they'd definitely been on the list.

• Members

Jeebus, you guys are in your 50's?

Sounds like one or more of your bandmates are still in high-school; unbelievable stupid drama for a cover band......

No way I could play with clowns like this - don't you wanna just laugh in their face?

"To discuss band issues". :lol:

• Members

Only one to comes to mind is Kentucky Headhunters. I know those guys finally made it big time pretty late in their career.

I used to occasionally see Greg Martin on Bardstown Road, usually in the Bonnycastle area near Guitar Emporium....

• Members

I guess you guys have something to talk about
:lol:

What's there to discuss?

If I decline availability and some fool books the gig anyway, that's THEIR problem, not mine.

Their problem because from that moment onward I would not be associated with the band name or that individual. :idea:

Mistake #1: Allowing an idiot to book gigs and misrepresent availability

Mistake #2: Allowing a sub-par musician to remain in the band

Mistake #3: Providing rehearsal space while allowing some unknown qty to handle band bookings and business.

• Members

What's there to discuss?

If I decline availability and some fool books the gig anyway, that's THEIR problem, not mine.

Their problem because from that moment onward I would not be associated with the band name or that individual.
:idea:

Mistake #1: Allowing an idiot to book gigs and misrepresent availability

Mistake #2: Allowing a sub-par musician to remain in the band

Mistake #3: Providing rehearsal space while allowing some unknown qty to handle band bookings and business.

It's not really fair for one band member to just decide not to do a gig everybody else wants. I don't think discussion is out of line in that case.

• Members

It's not really fair for one band member to just decide not to do a gig everybody else wants. I don't think discussion is out of line in that case.

I dunno about that: you've got 2 members that don't wanna drive 800 miles roundtrip to play for free.

What's so unreasonable about that?

I make it clear UPFRONT that I WON'T do any free gigs, with the exception of local fund-raisers: at that point, there is no need for discussion.

{censored} like this is why bands break up: I don't get it really - state your expectations clearly and upfront and these situations should never happen.

• Members

i drove a little over 400 miles each way for a job interview a few months back.

it was the 1st and the last time i'll ever do something like that for the sake of my career.

to do it for a free gig? that's beyond stupid.

• Members

I did once. I paid out of pocket to drive my band truck and pay my band to go 360 miles to Portland and do the Waterfront blues Festival for 400 dollars (the pay is low because it's a food bank benefit, but it's a huge show, three days and multiple stages). That covered the pay for 4 of my band members; I still had to pay all the fuel costs, motel, a minimal fee to my agent for setting it up, etc etc. But it would definitely be worth it, or so I thought, since it would mean playing in front of about 10k, meeting and greeting people, making connections, and signing CDs in the product tent, etc etc.

Turns out it was a huge cluster. It's a great festival for the listener, but with three stages, it's a logistical nightmare. Everyone associated with working the thing seemed to be irritable and stressed and about a second away from exploding. We showed up and the guy managing band cars acted like he was doing us a favor by letting us park our band truck about 200 yards away from the stage and carry all our gear in. And he insisted we move it out of there 1/2 hour after our set. The stage manager was a complete nightmare and because they started us a couple of minutes late, our set went over a couple of minutes, whereupon he ran out onto the stage during the last song and started waving his arms and screaming a us. He continued berating us after we were finished and breaking down, in front of people at the front of the stage wanting to talk with us and the VIP tables backstage. So basically I paid 300+ dollars out of pocket to get humiliated in public and get the bum's rush to boot.

Would I do it again? Not on your life.

It's tempting to think that all that 'exposure' is going to be worth something, but really, think about it: How many opening bands do you even remember from big shows, and how many of their CDs did you go buy as a result? I can think of a few, but not all that many. The only real value these kinds of gigs have is to use in your promo just to be able to say you did it.

• Members

Not enough info.

21st Annual City of ??? Festival... featuring Rick Darringer with Soundown...

• Members

I was just having a similar conversation with a friend of mine. He recently parted ways with his original band, although he was in a cover band with the same guys. A couple of his bandmates were pursuing the idea of flying to Germany to a festival, where the only pay would be from merch sales. They allowed this farce to get to the point that they were "confirmed" and appearing on the various promotional materials. Eventually, someone actually did a little homework and found that this wouldn't be one of the huge European festivals with tens of thousands in attendance, but rather some upstart thing taking place in someone's back lot with estimates of a few hundred people showing up. Thus, the plug was pulled.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to the 400-mile drive if the destination was someplace where I (and my bandmates, unless we drove separately) could either play a couple of other shows or at least make a vacation of it.

• Members

No way. That's 800miles round trip. Figure your costs how you'd like but my company pays me over $.50cents a mile for travel. Let's knock it down to $.30cents and thats $240 plus a room and some food. If Rick Derringer was doing his Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo show down at your local fairgrounds, would you consider forking over $300+ dollars for the privilege of opening for him? Doubt it...., but it would be a better deal given the time you'd save driving! I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but perhaps these are some arguments you can make to your bandmates (or former bandmates).

Archived