fishman soloamp

eyesore

• Members

Listen daddymack if someone read your previous post you make it sound like the soloamp is comparable to some good powered speakers and its just not. Im glad you love your fishman amp and you can pick it up. I play music full time and when im in my 60's i will use the best gear for the gig and not have a compact car because this is what i do for a living.

The guy who got me started is in his late 60's now and can sling his P.A. gear like us (somewhat) younger guys.

25 pounds vs. 31 pounds....ummm ok whatever. Get your pantys out your ***

Seriously what if it were 10+ years ago when most speakers were closer to double that 31 pound mark?? Musicians are more spoiled than ever with whats available now.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My point was that compared to each other, in the same price range, the SA beat the Compact, hands down. Not to say the Compact is bad, it just isn't as good all around. And Bose knows that....they had to cut a lot of corners to get a L1 unit into the $1k price range...and it shows

See why would one say this if you used both systems?? Take reverb out of the equation and I totally disagree with you. Next time try them side by side.

• Members

See why would one say this if you used both systems?? Take reverb out of the equation and I totally disagree with you. Next time try them side by side.

I've tried both, sise-by-side...you get considerably more bang-for-your-buck and better overall sound w/ the "Fishstick".

A good thing to remember is that when you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail...there is no "one size fits all" PA system. :idea:

• Members

The Fishman SoloAmp wasn't designed to pump large sound to outdoor crowds of 1,000. It was designed to amplify acoustic guitar and voice in a small to mid-sized space. And it does that very well. The line array offers 140-degree dispersion and will cover most restaurant and small club settings, and for its intended purpose, offers way more bottom end and better sound than the low-end Bose unit. And, properly positioned, it eliminates the need to carry separate monitors.

In many of the rooms I play, the Fish Stick covers the room better than did my old (and very heavy) pair of E-V 15"/horn cabinets on stands. There are rooms and events the Fish Stick doesn't cover as well; for those, I have a different PA setup with newer powered 15s (as well as a full concert-sized PA for the very large gigs and festivals). But -- if I don't have to hump hundreds of pounds of gear, I now have a quality and good-sounding alternative that does what it does incredibly well. Thank you, Fishman!

:thu:

• Members

I have tried both side by side too. I would choose the compact, but thats because I bring a pedalboard that has reverb for vox and gtr. Otherwise I would choose the fishman.

They really sound kinda the same except I thought the compact was louder. Either way one does not sound greatly better than the other and I could figure out a better way to spend a grand.

there is no "one size fits all" PA system

If you have powered speakers you kinda have that. One for small gigs, two for small to medium and a third for medium to large gigs.

• Members

...... I play music full time and when im in my 60's i will use the best gear for the gig.......

You never know when something happens to screw your body up and then, when you're in your 60's, you may well have to have a roadie do all the work if you're still gigging for a living. You are not invincible. 50 seems to be about the age the body starts to fail and you don't have to necessarily lift something heavy to ruin your back. It may well be a wrong step or turn, with or without weight, that throws out your lower back and that can happen at any age and any fitness level. Maybe you trip on a cable on stage or take a misstep going down the stage stairs/steps or off gig, a car accident, stepping off a curb wrong, falling down when drunk, getting hurt in a fight, a myriad of ways to put you into a situation where you can't lift much, if any, weight.

I'm 63 and have at least one rib that is in a perma-break situation and you can bet your sweet ass six pounds makes a difference.

• Moderators

Listen daddymack if someone read your previous post you make it sound like the soloamp is comparable to some good powered speakers and its just not. Im glad you love your fishman amp and you can pick it up. I play music full time and when im in my 60's i will use the best gear for the gig and not have a compact car because this is what i do for a living.

The guy who got me started is in his late 60's now and can sling his P.A. gear like us (somewhat) younger guys.

25 pounds vs. 31 pounds....ummm ok whatever. Get your pantys out your ***

Seriously what if it were 10+ years ago when most speakers were closer to double that 31 pound mark?? Musicians are more spoiled than ever with whats available now.

fp, take a chill pill...read what I wrote, not what you think you saw. Nowhere in the first post did I make a judgement as to sound quality regarding powered speakers, just about suitability for my needs.

One of the reasons I have back problems is from hauling/hoisting PA cabs onto sticks for decades (ever have EV VOTTs?My band in the 80s did...). I didn't just wander onto the scene at the age of 55+ and decide to go solo...I've been gigging (and by gigging, I mean getting paid to play and sing music) since ~1970, so I know about what gear was, and what it is now, okay? I am looking one thing, and one thing only. I don't care about tech specs, and I actually don't really care about cost. I am, once again, talking about my requirements, my situation and my target gigs. I don't care about how great someone else's system sounds in comparison, because frankly, that has nothing to do with me...any more than my system choices don't have anything to do with you. So get your panties unbunched, okay? I really didn't come here to argue, I came here make a simple statement based on the OP...why everyone who has a different system has to make out that theirs is the best is beyond me...tastes great. less filling...no two rooms are the same, no two acts are the same...can't we all just agree to disagree?

• Members
, so less wattage can "git 'r done".
:)

I'm a pretty strong dude, but my rig is both light and efficient. Everything that I need goes in and out in one trip.

IMO it's pretty stupid to carry around more wattage and speaker mass than you need.

When you're playing solo you aren't competing with other istruments so a little goes a long way.

• Members
I'm a pretty strong dude, but my rig is both light and efficient. Everything that I need goes in and out in one trip.

IMO it's pretty stupid to carry around more wattage and speaker mass than you need.

When you're playing solo you aren't competing with other istruments so a little goes a long way.

Absolutely! :cool:

• Members
I really didn't come here to argue, I came here make a simple statement based on the OP...why everyone who has a different system has to make out that theirs is the best is beyond me...tastes great. less filling...no two rooms are the same, no two acts are the same...can't we all just agree to disagree?

if i came off as argumentative i apologize... i meant nothing of the kind... i just wanted to give my take on a similar situation... for really small gigs i still just drag out the fender acoustasonic... as a matter of fact, this past sunday, the duo i play in opened for a 12 band musical event in tallahassee. it was an outdoor venue and all i used was my fender sfxII, my vocal mic and two of my mics on my djembe... ran a direct to the main board that was supplied by the venue... it was a very nice EV system made even better by the fact that i didnt have to load it in, set it up, set any levels or load it out... :) i have no doubt that the fishman would be a better choice than my fender just from the power/weight factors alone... but then i got the fender for $350 used in pristine condition... :idk: i just put wheels on it.. :)

• Members

Haha, there sure a lot of folks on this post on the defensive. Chill out and grab a beer. If you're happy with what you got, then why do you give two {censored}s what other people think about your set up.

I'm probably going to pick up a fish-stick. I already have a pair of JBL PRX-512's and a Soundcraft EFX-8 mixer that I go through on the normal. But every time I go home on leave to visit family and friends, I end up needing something. I'm not going to put the same kind of money into a secondary PA that I rarely get to use. Plus something like the fish stick will store away nicely at my mom's house.

But I do agree with most folks about the powered speakers....yes, most definitely a better, fuller sound. And more versatile. Thats my primary set up, check my signature. But it all depends on your audience too. If you play for 100 people and they are all quiet and attentive......then a small, all in one set up will probably work great. But get a bar full of rowdy, loud drunks and you are probably out of luck. Know your venue, know your audience.....

• Moderators

if i came off as argumentative i apologize... i meant nothing of the kind... i just wanted to give my take on a similar situation... for really small gigs i still just drag out the fender acoustasonic... as a matter of fact, this past sunday, the duo i play in opened for a 12 band musical event in tallahassee. it was an outdoor venue and all i used was my fender sfxII, my vocal mic and two of my mics on my djembe... ran a direct to the main board that was supplied by the venue... it was a very nice EV system made even better by the fact that i didnt have to load it in, set it up, set any levels or load it out...
i have no doubt that the fishman would be a better choice than my fender just from the power/weight factors alone... but then i got the fender for $350 used in pristine condition...
:idk:
i just put wheels on it..

no, the argument comment was not directed at you , V... ;)

$350 is a great price, and with wheels...a nice touch ;)

When I looked at /tested all the acoustic amps (including the Acoustic acoustic amps) I could find, one thing struck (the sound guy in) me...the speakers are literally on the floor...even with an amp stand, much of the sound in a small room, with people sitting relatively close was going to get buried; this is not a good thing, IMHO. If you are working on an elevated stage, not so bad, but nearly every place I have looked at recently that had live soloists/duos, they were stuck in a corner of the room with no riser, surrounded by patrons at tables. And, ***surprise*** nearly all the ones that sounded good were using L1s or Fish-sticks....a few had a pair of small (8-10") powered speakers on stands with a small mixer. This is another reason why the 'sticks' (L1 Compact and the Fishman SA220) made more sense to me. But I think that is the difference, the 'sticks' are optimized for the small lounge/coffee house/restarant thing, by getting the sound up above table level. And that is what I'm targeting. If I was looking for larger venues, like bars, (which I'm not)I would have gone a different way, although my weight and space limitations would still apply.

• Members

I don't mean to sound like a dick but I am sure it's goign to come out that way so I appologize in advance...not aimed at anyone in particualr.

I would not choose my gear based on what's comfortable for me to carry/move around, etc...I choose my gear based on what works better for my needs, and given equal choices, then what's more convenient for me.

If I can't handle/carry/lift the proper gear for a gig, I would not take a gig so anyone making a decision to buy a fishman unit because it is easier for you to carry it, and not because it sounds like you want it to...well...reconsider what you are doing...but don't lie to yourself by saying that a fishman or a bose unit can deliver the same performance or versatility that a full fleaged pa can, it just isn't so.

Rod

• Members

...but don't lie to yourself by saying that a fishman or a bose unit can deliver the same performance or versatility that a full fleaged pa can, it just isn't so.

Rod

No one necessarily claimed that a stick would.

However, take that full fledged PA system into a 1200 sf restaurant and it won't work near as well, if there's even room for it. And taking a 500 watt powered speaker on a pole into the same environment and turning it down so it doesn't over drive the audience/diners it's not going to deliver enough power to the speakers to drive them efficiently enough to sound like they should. So, yeah, versatile to a point.

• Members

No one necessarily claimed that a stick would.

However, take that full fledged PA system into a 1200 sf restaurant and it won't work near as well, if there's even room for it. And taking a 500 watt powered speaker on a pole into the same environment and turning it down so it doesn't over drive the audience/diners it's not going to deliver enough power to the speakers to drive them efficiently enough to sound like they should. So, yeah, versatile to a point.

I hate to burst your bubble about taking one a 500 watt powered speaker on a pole into a small environment.......But I have used one of my JBL PRX-512's on a pole, and my mixer into a small wine bar....probably 20 people in there and it sounded AMAZING. I know that the stick or bose L1 or any of those would do the job well, I'm not arguing that. But I won't agree that one does it better than the other. I've played through a pair of Bose L1 w/bass package......and I did like it.....but if I have to choose one over the other for sound quality (in ANY environment) I'll choose my JBL's (or one of them) any day. That's just my two cents. I just don't agree that the line arrays do anything better than a good set of powered speakers as far as sound go. They fit into smaller packages...yes, and they don't weigh much....true. But sound equality? Not in my opinion. But the line arrays are not bad at all, just not equal.

• Moderators

I don't mean to sound like a dick but I am sure it's goign to come out that way so I appologize in advance...not aimed at anyone in particualr.

I would not choose my gear based on what's comfortable for me to carry/move around, etc...I choose my gear based on what works better for my needs, and given equal choices, then what's more convenient for me.

If I can't handle/carry/lift the proper gear for a gig, I would not take a gig so anyone making a decision to buy a fishman unit because it is easier for you to carry it, and not because it sounds like you want it to...well...reconsider what you are doing...but don't lie to yourself by saying that a fishman or a bose unit can deliver the same performance or versatility that a full fleaged pa can, it just isn't so.

Rod

Wait....so because I have physical limitations, I shouldn't gig? Seriously? Is that your point?

Nowhere did I make any claim that the sticks would do what a full PA would...read the posts...why is everyone missing the point here? :idk:

• Members

I think you missed my point, first I wasn't directing it at anyone specific but...my point, if you read my post, is that the focus should be on quality first, then portability and that's all. If you have limitations that prevent you from lifting heavy things and the fishman suits your needs, great, but unless you are renting gear and a soundman, you will be limited to the kind of gigs the fishman allows you to work at adequately.

My second point is that, there is no way in this earth, where a fishman unit is as versatile as a full PA, there simply isn't so let's take it for what it is, a good solution for a specific niche market, and that's not a bad thing, it's very good at what it is designed to do but that's it. Reading some posts, some people give me the impression that at $900, this is the best option out there and that simply isn't true, is is an adequate option and may suit your needs but it is far from the best at that price point. Even if just for portability/weight a pair of ev zxa1's and a small mixer would, in my oppinion give you more versatility and coverage.

JMO

Rod

• Moderators

okay, no, it isn't the only PA at my disposal, and certainly were my situation not what it is, I would possiblly have gone with something different, but the situation is what it is, and the logical solution was the SA220....it is the one I selected for the specific niche of gigs I am targeting, which is exactly the niche for which it was designed. Again, I am fully aware that it is not a big powerful expandable, versatile system. I'm okay with that because I have that already available (for the band..actually we have almost 3 complete PA systems:8-12-16 channels), and really, nearly all our 'big' gigs we don't even bring our PA, we use the show/festival systems. I don't get why everybody has an agenda regarding something that really was never said here, they just wanted to get it off their chests, I guess.

So if you are looking to just play small rooms, have limited space either to set up in or in the vehicle (more my issue), need something that is easy to move, quick to set up, has basic on-board reverb, is light weight...the SA220 does that.

• Members
Okay, I'll play...

I've only used the Fishman once, but I own the Bose L1 Compact. The Fishman was nice, but the coverage/dispersion of the Bose is a bit better. The Soloamp spreads more like a conventional speaker, so it's a little more directional, and drops off faster.

The Bose takes some getting used to. The slower drop off is deceiving. You might not think it's quite loud enough on stage, but you'll find it's covering the back of the room just fine. It sounds really good, but so does the Fishman.

HOWEVER, the lack of reverb on the Bose might be a deal killer. I like a touch of 'verb on both guitar and vocals, so I must use an outboard unit. The Fishman has
good
'verb built in.

I have used the Fishman Solo amp since it came out, doing many gigs with one, it's now called the SA 220. My buddy has one too and we have linked em together.

I have tried the Bose one too, which has no eq on it. You can get the Fishman to sound like the Bose if you want, but not the other way around.
A nice 5 minute set up, and it's loud enough for many smaller clubs and coffee house gigs.
I use a Martin 00016 and also a Fishman Aura Spectra and really get some decent tones of the solo amp. It doesn't have a huge bottom end, but it works. I also have a Fishman Loud Performer too.

A mic stand and a SM 58 seem to work well. I have tried other mic too, the SM 58 Beta was not really any better.

Before the solo amp stuff I was using a Fender passport 250, which was decent too for the coffee house small club thing.

• Members

If I can't handle/carry/lift the proper gear for a gig, I would not take a gig so anyone making a decision to buy a fishman unit because it is easier for you to carry it, and not because it sounds like you want it to...well...reconsider what you are doing...
but don't lie to yourself by saying that a fishman or a bose unit can deliver the same performance or versatility that a full fleaged pa can, it just isn't so.

Rod

pretty much correct.

It's not gonna compete with a decent PA for sure, but for small spaces and coffee house gigs it's a winner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't believe people are comparing the stick/ compact rigs to PA's. Apples and Oranges.

I bought a Bose Compact, the $999 rig. I used to own a Carvin AG100. I went through three of them in a year, not even gigging, just practicing through them. The Bose, sounds better than the Fishman to my ears. Fuller. It also appears to have a really good capacity to fill a room without taking peoples heads off. The Fishman falls off quicker. Either is better than the Carvin, but, my alternate to the Bose was going to be a Mackie sub and a 450 series, mono. I was going to buy two subs, and two 450s, and just use one for solos, but, the Bose sounded so damned good and weighs next to nothing, I chose it. I already have a small mixer with verb, and several pedals so the question of channels and fx is mute to me.

I don't think ANY of these systems are poor. I think if you have a grand to spend, and play solo mostly, the Fishman is the one to get. If you are not as tight for cash, but don't want to break you back, get the Bose, because I think it sounds better. I think the Carvin is out of the running. When I bought mine, they were $399..they have gone up a lot and I just do not think they are competetive with he stick type configs. A PA is is nearly always going to sound better, but, it is more moey, more complex to set up, larger and heavier. My plan is to run the Bose when I can, and move to a PA when I can't

I'll also add, far more gigs are lost due to excessive volume than not enough volume. Db's are not everything. Clarity and quality go a long way.

It's worth adding too that Bose stuff is not usually discounted, but, I got mine at GC when they were $100 off, and because it could not be discounted more, my salesman got me out the door with the Bose, a three year warranty, planet waves kill switch instrument cable and a wolfpack bass case for $1100 flat otd. If you pick up a couple things you need when you buy it, you will usually get some heavy offset markdowns on the stuff they can markdown.

Archived