fishman soloamp

eyesore

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tried one at G.C. It sounded good. What I like is that it has a built in reverb that's useable, which I didn't see on the Bose unit. The tripod stand is IMO, kind of over-engineered; heavier than I think it needs to be. If I didn't already have a decent setup, I'd be all over it.

• Members

IMABO, it's a much better value than either of the Bose equivalents.

Okay, I'll play...:)

I've only used the Fishman once, but I own the Bose L1 Compact. The Fishman was nice, but the coverage/dispersion of the Bose is a bit better. The Soloamp spreads more like a conventional speaker, so it's a little more directional, and drops off faster.

The Bose takes some getting used to. The slower drop off is deceiving. You might not think it's quite loud enough on stage, but you'll find it's covering the back of the room just fine. It sounds really good, but so does the Fishman.

HOWEVER, the lack of reverb on the Bose might be a deal killer. I like a touch of 'verb on both guitar and vocals, so I must use an outboard unit. The Fishman has good 'verb built in.

• Members

Okay, I'll play...
:)

I've only used the Fishman once, but I own the Bose L1 Compact. The Fishman was nice, but the coverage/dispersion of the Bose is a bit better. The Soloamp spreads more like a conventional speaker, so it's a little more directional, and drops off faster.

The Bose takes some getting used to. The slower drop off is deceiving. You might not think it's quite loud enough on stage, but you'll find it's covering the back of the room just fine. It sounds really good, but so does the Fishman.

HOWEVER, the lack of reverb on the Bose might be a deal killer. I like a touch of 'verb on both guitar and vocals, so I must use an outboard unit. The Fishman has
good
'verb built in.

Don't you think that for what Bose charges for the L1, they could put in a reverb?

Glad you like the L1.

• Members

if ya had your choice;would go with a;say;fender passport system over the fishman.i kinda on the fence.thanks!

No. I've used the Fender system, and while it's a good budget PA (and cheaper than the SoloAmp), I think the SoloAmp has a fuller, richer sound. Also, the line array speaker systems are very feedback resistant--you can literally position the SoloAmp behind you and not get feedback, which saves you the trouble of adding monitors.

That said, they are different beasts: If you think you might want to use the PA with a full band, the Passport is obviously the way to go. You can hook up a small mixer to the SoloAmp if you want to add another musician, but I wouldn't push it too far. The SoloAmp is really designed for a solo artist or duo. Really well designed, I should say! :cool:

• Members

I've used the Fishman SoloAmp for a couple years at different size venues. Just the SoloAmp is ok for small quieter places, I prefer adding a powered monitor. With the monitor it fills most of my needs in solo gigs. For large rowdy bars I take a larger PA.

• Members

I've used the Fishman SoloAmp for a couple years at different size venues. Just the SoloAmp is ok for small quieter places, I prefer adding a powered monitor. With the monitor it fills most of my needs in solo gigs. For large rowdy bars I take a larger PA.

It's kinda inappropriate to use a Solo Amp in a loud rowdy bar anyway right? The Solo-Amp is a 200 watt speaker cab in a 25 pound package. It should be obvious to anyone that the laws of physics as they apply to moving sound efficiently in a live environment seldom are broken. No matter how you cut the deck 200 watts ain't gonna move a whole bunch of air. To move air you need tin.

Now that said the Solo-Amp does exactly what Fishman claims it will. It's a small, light, portable package that when used in environments it was designed to be used in works wonderfully. If you ask more of it than it was designed to give and it fails, it's not the Solo Amps fault :)

• Members

Don't you think that for what Bose charges for the L1, they could put in a reverb?

Glad you like the L1.

Thanks Terry. And yes, I do think the L1C should have some verb. But, if they added reverb, it would eliminate the need for their Tone Match thing, so Bose would lose a potential sale...... (kidding to some degree, but you get my drift)

• Members

I've been using my SoloAmp for several months now -- it is a line array, and it does have a wide dispersion area (I believe they claim 140 degrees). I've had no trouble with coverage in any small room I usually play, and it even works great on smaller outdoor gigs! For just acoustic guitar and vocals, it really can't be beat. Yeah, I wish it had more bottom end, but that's because I use a looper pedal and treat my guitar as a percussion instrument at times. Still, it works better than I thought it was going to, and I've been nothing but happy with the purchase!

• Members

I've been gigging with one for a while, and am very pleased with it. The stand allows it to be positioned higher than the Bose equivalent and, as others have mentioned, it is more fully featured. Sound quality is more than acceptable. It's very convenient to be able to pack the stand, combined speaker/amp/mixer module, and AC cable in a relatively lightweight rolling bag that fits in the trunk of a compact car. It's a good solution in most environments that would be appropriate for solo or duo performers.

• Members

I own two Soloamp's and connect them together when I play. As a solo guitarist who plays a nylon string guitar, this setup works perfectly. It would also be more than suitable for additional guitarist, keyboard or even conga player. I play mainly smooth jazz style music for fine dining, weddings and events..................... It's all about having the right tools for the job. If you play solo or with a duo its a fantastic setup. One factor to consider is the style of music you play, for instance you could use a couple of good overhead condenser mic's to mic up a string quartet and it would sound great. I wouldnt hesitate to have an electric, an acoustic, vocals, some piano and congas all running through both Soloamp's (using an external mixer for additional inputs), but again, I'm playing smooth jazz and some salsa. I wouldnt try it if I were playing classic rock in a noisy bar. So, there are various factors that need to be taken into consideration when determining what gear will work for you. I like to cover my basses and have enough gear so that I can pick the right tool for the job at hand. For what I do, the soloamp is very versatile and is typically what I use.

• Members

Has any one used a foot stomper with the solo amp, i'm about to purchase one and wont get a chance to try it first.

will the be enough bottom end for the stomp box?

Quite probably not... but there are a lot of reasonably priced smaller powered subs out there that might add the thump you want.

• Members

Has any one used a foot stomper with the solo amp, i'm about to purchase one and wont get a chance to try it first.

will the be enough bottom end for the stomp box?

Actually, I have and got by w/o a sub...I plug my Toe Tapper into a Boss 7-band Bass EQ, turn off the highs, and into the Hi-Z input on channel 1, with my mic into the lo-Z imput and guitars into channel 2.

OTOH, a sub just makes it fuller sounding for everything.

f2e1b5ff-5b01-4326-b0a3-213a022a8dfc

• Members

Thanx, i guess i can add a small sub if i'm not happy.

So on saying this , what would be a good small sub but not overpriced?i've seen a small combo by Kustom that provides a single top and a 12 inch sub but i'm not sure of its quality.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kustom-300W-PA-PA100T-PA112S-PA-System-3-Channel-Mixer-/140685545892?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item20c18311a4

• Members

Thanx, i guess i can add a small sub if i'm not happy.

So on saying this , what would be a good small sub but not overpriced?i've seen a small combo by Kustom that provides a single top and a 12 inch sub but i'm not sure of its quality.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kustom-300W-PA-PA100T-PA112S-PA-System-3-Channel-Mixer-/140685545892?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item20c18311a4

I'd suggest something w/ a minimum of 300 watts, and of a bit more quality...perhaps something like the Peavey PV 118D :

PV118DP-xlarge.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV118DP/

A bit more $, a lot more value, and if $$$ is tight, consider a good used sub.

Archived