CL free pile amp

gardo

• Members

Okay I saw the ad and had to look. The ad says working so let’s go.

Came home with a Traynor reverb mate 40. I have no experience with these but it was free. The power switch is broken but that should be an easy fix. I noticed it had 2 speakers , I think 8“ so I don’t expect much. .It even has 2 jacks for line out if I want to test that sound guy we talked about.

2CC4BCF2-C983-4E17-9E55-6D969F9DEE45.thumb.jpeg.7fc440eb58bc6b884f333a7dfafb3190.jpeg23AAEA58-6ED0-4D4F-BC1C-78EE397FB630.thumb.jpeg.215e8bb6dacb078199f89a429a6c5658.jpeg

It’s in the back of my truck covered with plastic until I get a chance to check for bugs etc.

Sometime tomorrow I’ll check it out 

Edited by gardo
  • Like 1

• Members
4 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

Probably a STEREO amp with STEREO chorus!!! Probably has a glorious clean tone. 

You may be right . I haven’t tried it out yet.

Right now it’s disassembled for cleaning 

It looks just like a scaled down version of my Princeton Chorus, which is kind of cool 

• Members

It's got a line out too.

2 of them, so now you sound guy can run your set up in stereo. 

It's a win-win.

Remember the Fender Champ tweed  has a 8" speaker. Look at what Clapton did with that amp.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Jr  with an 8" speaker and it rawks.

I think I paid 200 bucks for it new.

eup4a7slxvajpvzdwrjw.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Members

I disassembled the amp and cleaned it up also replaced the power switch with one from the parts bin .

No issues ,everything seems to work as it should. It sounds OK with an ES 335 type at low volume with a little edge.

8CCBD50A-9290-4145-9B61-AD5C38563B19.thumb.jpeg.0a3796b5c9ea3ffa100c393eb7cc8915.jpeg3A78FCD5-0684-4CB2-A77A-3293D2052E04.thumb.jpeg.c9b3746e40b03159cf17798f3884d7f6.jpeg0907201A-7191-4554-891E-5A52497B62A6.thumb.jpeg.c3842c02ab6ce469680fe12ff10857e3.jpegIt really does look like a scaled down Princeton Chorus . 

Not sure if it’s a keeper though 

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

Looks like it's 20 Watts X2 so don't expect a whole lot. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/traynor-trm40-reverb-mate-40-combo-amp Still, free is free. Congratulations and Happy New (Free) Amp Day. :thu:

My everyday amp is only 26 watts X 2 with 10” speakers  and has plenty of power. This Traynor can’t compete for clean sound but does get a nice rock tone 

• Members
22 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

Probably a STEREO amp with STEREO chorus!!! Probably has a glorious clean tone. 

It actually is a stereo amp with good cleans at low volume . The trick seems to be to get the amp up off the floor to let the sound fill the area

• Members
41 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

The Princeton has a phone jack out.

Get an a/b/y box and run both amps at the same time.

Mess with the sound guys head. Send him right to a shrink, on a fat military section 8.

I always wanted a second Princeton. They can be run as a master/slave with the effects loop I think 

• Members
1 hour ago, Mikeo said:

Yep

Fender once gave me some solid state amp free for buying a American Strat.

I sold the amp. Stiill have the Strat.

Free is good 

All they gave me was a free gig bag when I bought a Mexican Strat

Traded the gig bag for a couple Beheringer pedals and some cables

I use one of the cables every day. The pedals are on the shelf 

• Members
Just now, gardo said:

Free is good 

All they gave me was a free gig bag when I bought a Mexican Strat

Traded the gig bag for a couple Beheringer pedals and some cables

I use one of the cables every day. The pedals are on the shelf 

I never used a Beheringer anything.

I use Mogami cable when I plug in. George L's on my pedal board.

• Haha 1

• Members
1 minute ago, Mikeo said:

I never used a Beheringer anything.

I use Mogami cable when I plug in. George L's on my pedal board.

The cable is Fender. Plugged straight into the amp it sounds as good as my Mogami 

Either way I had no use for the gig bag , only hard casas

• Members
32 minutes ago, gardo said:

The cable is Fender. Plugged straight into the amp it sounds as good as my Mogami 

Either way I had no use for the gig bag , only hard casas

My Taylor GS mini's came in a Taylor gig bag. They are now in SBK cases made exclusively for the GS mini. The gig bags I put in the attic.  They are no Cali girl case, but are very protective.;)

GSMiniSKB-large.jpg

• Members

I talked to an old friend the other day who has had some struggles in life. He told me he’s just been playing acoustic these days . I t seems his amp died and he’s been unable to replace it.  I’m planning a trip up his way in a few weeks to pass this amp along to him so he can get his Strat out again.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Happy free used solid state Canadian/Chinese stereo amplifier day!:thu:

Traynor has a history of copying Fender circuit designs going way back to the 60s, so I would guess they dissected the Fender Princeton Chorus amp to create that one. My first actual bass amp was a Traynor, but a real Canadian tube amp, with a Yorkville speaker.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:40 AM, Mikeo said:

I never used a Beheringer anything....

For years, my motto was 'Friends don't let friends use Behringer.' Then they slapped the 'B' word on their high-end mixers, which are actually quite good, and a number of venues I have played around SoCal use them. I have since amended the motto to 'Friends don't let friends use cheap Behringer pedals or Bugera* amps.'😉

*several years ago, an acquaintance brought me a 5W Bugera with a mystery problem. The warranty had expired a few months before. After examining the amp, I was appalled at the terrible workmanship: wires hot melted to the chassis, untrimmed solder leads, exposed/uninsulated AC wires...I eventually came to the conclusion that the Output Transformer had an internal short. How? I don't know...but an OEM OT was not available, and I was unable to match an equivalent.

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

Happy free used solid state Canadian/Chinese stereo amplifier day!:thu:

Traynor has a history of copying Fender circuit designs going way back to the 60s, so I would guess they dissected the Fender Princeton Chorus amp to create that one. My first actual bass amp was a Traynor, but a real Canadian tube amp, with a Yorkville speaker.

For years, my motto was 'Friends don't let friends use Behringer.' Then they slapped the 'B' word on their high-end mixers, which are actually quite good, and a number of venues I have played around SoCal use them. I have since amended the motto to 'Friends don't let friends use cheap Behringer pedals or Bugera* amps.'😉

*several years ago, an acquaintance brought me a 5W Bugera with a mystery problem. The warranty had expired a few months before. After examining the amp, I was appalled at the terrible workmanship: wires hot melted to the chassis, untrimmed solder leads, exposed/uninsulated AC wires...I eventually came to the conclusion that the Output Transformer had an internal short. How? I don't know...but an OEM OT was not available, and I was unable to match an equivalent.

JHS pedals did a video saying that many boutique pedal builders actually get their chips from Beheringer