YouTube Repulsion

macken_nz

• Members

I've been watching YouTube guitar channels for years and lately have been feeling irritated and a little disgusted.

Between 'Music is Win', 'Robert Baker' & 'The Troglys Guitar Show' I find myself put off by these guys gushing over new guitars and amps every week and seeing the horde of gear behind them as trophys.

This equipment while attractive and cool to look at is ridiculous as well. How many amps and guitars do you need?.. There seems to be a correlation between these characters and an important musical statement. To be fair I haven't heard any of the music these guys have made but I get the impression they're mostly just impersonators.. knowing way too much technique for their own good and for the most part missing the point of gear as simply tools.

That 'Fluff' guy with all his recto's he compulsively collects yet struggles to play anything but some generic riffing on them.. 'Tyler' playing a metallica solo note for note and obsessively attempting to nail a tone.. what's the shooping point?.. it's someone elses playing style.. maybe take a bunch of mushrooms and dream up something beyond all this wankery?.. unngh

Darrel Braun plays awfully yet every week is gushing about a new guitar he will never make sound great.. nice guy sure.. but who gives a doofy really right?.. it's just bargain bin entertainment that i've so grown tired of and sadly to be honest, am a little addicted to.

That pedal show guys are pretty likable but are just gear nerds at the end of it all aren't they?.. missing the point entirely.

Look at me mum?! I'm ranting! :)

phillip philington - YouTube

Edited by macken_nz
  • Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

They're just trying to make a living in the music biz. Criticizing their guitar skill is a bit rough. Why not just ignore their videos if you find them repulsive?

yeah repulsive is a bit strong.. more just underwhelmed.. I don't think i'm criticizing guitar skills,  just the scope of their artistry. They seem to be competent enough. I just miss being wowed.

I seem to be starved of entertainment and have a routine of watching the same channels over and over and over.. I need to stop I think. I think I prefer the amp repair/guitar setup vids more.. Dave's World & Uncle Doug.. Less pretentious and fun somehow.

There's a material aspect to these guitar channels that really miss the point I feel and I find them all pretty much the same.

I don't mind the making a living bit.. I just feel there's a correlation between all these Youtubers and mediocrity. 

Maybe they should listen to more Aphex Twin..

Modern guitarists blow goats :)

Edited by macken_nz
zoomghee

• Members
6 hours ago, 1001gear said:

Doesn't bother me nearly as much as pedal demos by clueless guitarists.

Yeah that kinda stuff is underwhelming for sure.. Some kid fumbling through things can be painful.. I think it's just over exposure to this stuff for years and years due to boredom.. I dunno really. Not really articulating myself the best here.

• Members
4 hours ago, macken_nz said:

Yeah that kinda stuff is underwhelming for sure.. Some kid fumbling through things can be painful.. I think it's just over exposure to this stuff for years and years due to boredom.. I dunno really. Not really articulating myself the best here.

It's real annoying too when you're shopping around and the majority strum D and G and just twiddle the knobs. 🥵

• Members
9 hours ago, 1001gear said:

It's real annoying too when you're shopping around and the majority strum D and G and just twiddle the knobs. 🥵

How dare you say that about D & G!.. They've been good to you.. Hell they've been good to us all. Solid and unpretentious.. 

Yet somehow lacking if that's all that is in your repertoire. 

• Members
6 hours ago, macken_nz said:

How dare you say that about D & G!.. They've been good to you.. Hell they've been good to us all. Solid and unpretentious.. 

Yet somehow lacking if that's all that is in your repertoire. 

I mostly shop for ODs and more recently a few distortions - 30 plus with a wave of 20 to 30 dollar China pedows the last few years and Youtube is the only credible source I have. In the hands of the phony demo guys, G and D are the enemy. Srsly, even a blues lick or two would reveal more musical character. As it is, you may (if the recording quality is sufficient) get a ball park on what the clipping chip sounds like, uh, on D and G...

• Members
1 hour ago, 1001gear said:

I mostly shop for ODs and more recently a few distortions - 30 plus with a wave of 20 to 30 dollar China pedows the last few years and Youtube is the only credible source I have. In the hands of the phony demo guys, G and D are the enemy. Srsly, even a blues lick or two would reveal more musical character. As it is, you may (if the recording quality is sufficient) get a ball park on what the clipping chip sounds like, uh, on D and G...

I remember the dark days before the web of doom.. I wonder what a Boss PH-2 sounds like I wondered.. There's only one thing for it.. TO THE STORE!! I'm sure those poor 90's music store guys got tired. 

But yeah it's hard to know with online demos.. Some are definitely better than others and it can be frustrating.

• Members

I got some boss stuff - Ge7, Metal zone  - I think that's it. The GE7 hissed on all the settings I liked and the MZ only did one thing well. Scooped distortion. Well that, and suck. So 2 things. I used to live in music stores and years later went to a NAMM show and got enlightened - to the hype of retail. So it's been online purch. ever since. I had to discover tone the slow clueless way. If I had been close to Nashville OTOH... Anyway now I have a pretty good idea of what I can do with what. The big decider has been youtube for some years now and when I can't tell if a pedal will be of any use, that's just depressing. Bad players, bad material, fake industry... brave new world.

• Moderators
On 7/2/2021 at 2:19 PM, macken_nz said:

I've been watching YouTube guitar channels for years and lately have been feeling irritated and a little disgusted.

How many amps and guitars do you need?..

Look at me mum?! I'm ranting! :)

phillip philington - YouTube

To your first issue: There are no 'gatekeepers' on YouTube...no one decides if the program quality is worthwhile as long as they meet the technical codex requirements. This leaves the decision making up to the viewer.

If you have been watching for years, then I will advise you to stop.:wave:

As to how many amps and guitars one needs...well, no one can answer that for anyone else. Personally, I will state that I have not quite figured out the optimal number for me, but at the moment, it is 15 amps and 17 guitars [11 electric, 6 acoustic], two basses [one acoustic], three ukeleles [one electric], two lap steels and an electric violin. Then there is also all the PA gear...:facepalm:

Bad Penguin's collection [or Harem😉] makes mine look like a 'Mom an' Pop Store' next to a GC...and he is still buying...😎

• Moderators
12 hours ago, macken_nz said:

I remember the dark days before the web of doom.. I wonder what a Boss PH-2 sounds like I wondered.. There's only one thing for it.. TO THE STORE!! I'm sure those poor 90's music store guys got tired. 

But yeah it's hard to know with online demos.. Some are definitely better than others and it can be frustrating.

A long time ago I came to the conclusion that on-line demos are pretty useless, as they're totally dependent on your system's ability to accurately reproduce the sound they recorded. So for me, it is off to the store. I was fortunate to have lived in NYC when I was starting out, so a subway ride to Manhattan was common for me...off to Manny's, et al. Living in LA made finding music stores too easy....which may explain my 'excessive' collection [according to MommaMack].

I have only purchased a few things without personal sampling, typically pedals, since I know I can turn/trade them fairly easily..the last one went into a trade pretty quickly...:rolleyes2:

• Members
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

To your first issue: There are no 'gatekeepers' on YouTube...no one decides if the program quality is worthwhile as long as they meet the technical codex requirements. This leaves the decision making up to the viewer.

If you have been watching for years, then I will advise you to stop.:wave:

As to how many amps and guitars one needs...well, no one can answer that for anyone else. Personally, I will state that I have not quite figured out the optimal number for me, but at the moment, it is 15 amps and 17 guitars [11 electric, 6 acoustic], two basses [one acoustic], three ukeleles [one electric], two lap steels and an electric violin. Then there is also all the PA gear...:facepalm:

Bad Penguin's collection [or Harem😉] makes mine look like a 'Mom an' Pop Store' next to a GC...and he is still buying...😎

Yeah ultimately you are right.. Seem to have just fallen into this mediocre hole of "entertainment" there.

Ideally those channels would be full of the most talented and less gear centric players.. But then again if they were they'd prolly not be youtubers right?.. Tom Bukovac can play though! I think his channel shows off what you can do without a carefully staged set behind you.

I have 3 amps & guitars and use fuzz, wah and vibe and I can't imagine ever wanting more.. If you're not playing them all on a monthly basis they're redundant and your focus is lost artistically.. Remember art?.. that's the idea isn't it?

Edited by macken_nz

• Members

Come on, be honest. They are SALESPEOPLE not consumers nor are they *gasp* musicians. They are simply selling a product they were endorsed to sell. They try to sell you the fact that they are "objective" but they aren't. They are not Siskel and Ebert, they are Lily from ATT. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, badpenguin said:

They are not Siskel and Ebert, they are Lily from ATT. 

without the personality, acting skills and other endowments that make her eminently more watchable.😉

3 hours ago, macken_nz said:

Yeah ultimately you are right.. Seem to have just fallen into this mediocre hole of "entertainment" there.

Ideally those channels would be full of the most talented and less gear centric players.. But then again if they were they'd prolly not be youtubers right?.. Tom Bukovac can play though! I think his channel shows off what you can do without a carefully staged set behind you.

I have 3 amps & guitars and use fuzz, wah and vibe and I can't imagine ever wanting more.. If you're not playing them all on a monthly basis they're redundant and your focus is lost artistically.. Remember art?.. that's the idea isn't it?

What I have amassed over the last thirty years or so, is the fruits of steady gigging, and each acquisition opened a door to something else, side gigs, projects, etc

Covid slammed that door on me, sad to say, but I was at a juncture anyway, and needed the time to pursue a different direction as a solo...and as I get back out there, the gear will get dusted off...

• Members
11 minutes ago, daddymack said:

without the personality, acting skills and other endowments that make her eminently more watchable.😉

What I have amassed over the last thirty years or so, is the fruits of steady gigging, and each acquisition opened a door to something else, side gigs, projects, etc

Covid slammed that door on me, sad to say, but I was at a juncture anyway, and needed the time to pursue a different direction as a solo...and as I get back out there, the gear will get dusted off...

Maybe get the amps down to 13? :) 

• Members
3 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Come on, be honest. They are SALESPEOPLE not consumers nor are they *gasp* musicians. They are simply selling a product they were endorsed to sell. They try to sell you the fact that they are "objective" but they aren't. They are not Siskel and Ebert, they are Lily from ATT. 

Well said champ :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...