Rickenbacker 90th Anniversary models

isaac42

• Moderators

Rickenbacker has announced two new models for their 90th anniversary: the 480XC guitar and the 4005XC bass.

Image may contain: people playing musical instruments and guitar

The bass looks to me like it's a 360 guitar body with a short scale neck attached. From what I've read it's a short scale (30.5"). 24 frets. Toaster pickups. It should feel, play and sound different from any other Ric bass currently in production.

Naturally, I had to have one!

• Moderators
22 hours ago, daddymack said:

and...?

And what?

Okay, I had to have one, so I put in an order. Might be here by August.

I wasn't in love with the price on the bass, either, but you only live once, right? List is, I think, around $5200. There is, or was, one on Reverb for $5150. Sweetwater quoted me $4500. Wildwood Guitars $4099. Went with Wildwood. I've heard good things about them.

There are precedents for both models. For the guitar, the 480 model. The old ones go for less than this one, so, if you like the guitar, you can get an old one for less, but it won't be the 90th anniversary model.

As for the bass, the original 4005 was full scale (which, for Rics, is 33¼"). Not sure why this one is short scale, but it should make it easier to play.

The 480 guitar even came in a short-lived slanted fret version, the 481.

Vintage 1973 Rickenbacker 481 Electric Guitar with Slanted Frets

https://www.myrareguitars.com/vintage-1973-rickenbacker-481-electric-guitar

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Midnight Blue isn't bad.

Depending on the light it can look lighter blue with silver in it.

Here the pic that the retailer sent to me before my purchase.

lGS2Gts.jpg

I also went to adjust the truss rod, took off the truss rod cover and the paint on the truss rod cover came off.

I sent the part back in and the Hall's took care of it.

NmM8x9i.jpg

Here's my other Ricks

I love the 330, and it might be my fav of them all.

ovaX54B.jpg

The 620 was my second Rick. I bought them when they were under a grand and the prices just kept creeping up and up and up.

yLr7TPD.jpg

I never owned a a 12 string guitar and was thinking, might as well own the one that is most historical. The Modern pups are really good.

PAwVOrf.jpg

The last Rick I purchased was the 350 63. It's very cool.

I don't buy or sell many guitar, but just about every year I pick out something special and go with it.

Haven't purchased a bass guitar in probably 25 years.

An American Standard Jazz.

yeZMvRa.jpg

An American Standard Jazz Deluxe that I bought. It has a smaller body and active pups. I sold my American P bass after buy this. This Deluxe cover everything the P bass did and way more. l It also felt better in my hands, as a guitar player. It's in  a weird see through ash body. I have never seen another one like it. I have seen white, but not the see thru white.

ynYqLLN.jpg

The Kala Bass that a buddy of mine gave me. It's old, so no active pups, I plug it in and use a Preamp if I want more. Sounds good through the Ashdown or the SWR California Blonde.

5klRpml.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Midnight Blue isn't bad.

Depending on the light it can look lighter blue with silver in it.

Here the pic that the retailer sent to me before my purchase.

lGS2Gts.jpg

I also went to adjust the truss rod, took off the truss rod cover and the paint on the truss rod cover came off.

I sent the part back in and the Hall's took care of it.

NmM8x9i.jpg

Here's my other Ricks

I love the 330, and it might be my fav of them all.

ovaX54B.jpg

The 620 was my second Rick. I bought them when they were under a grand and the prices just kept creeping up and up and up.

yLr7TPD.jpg

I never owned a a 12 string guitar and was thinking, might as well own the one that is most historical. The Modern pups are really good.

PAwVOrf.jpg

The last Rick I purchased was the 350 63. It's very cool.

I don't buy or sell many guitar, but just about every year I pick out something special and go with it.

Haven't purchased a bass guitar in probably 25 years.

An American Standard Jazz.

yeZMvRa.jpg

An American Standard Jazz Deluxe that I bought. It has a smaller body and active pups. I sold my American P bass after buy this. This Deluxe cover everything the P bass did and way more. l It also felt better in my hands, as a guitar player. It's in  a weird see through ash body. I have never seen another one like it. I have seen white, but not the see thru white.

ynYqLLN.jpg

The Kala Bass that a buddy of mine gave me. It's old, so no active pups, I plug it in and use a Preamp if I want more. Sounds good through the Ashdown or the SWR California Blonde.

5klRpml.jpg

Didn't kmow you were a Ric man, Mikeo.