Is Live Music Making A Comeback?

ggm1960

• Members
On 6/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, ggm1960 said:

. . . The last minute gig worked out great because we picked up some extra "travel" money for our vacation we're headed out on soon! Hopefully things won't be too weird on our M/C trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other destinations we've planned.

Congratulations on the gig and glad you actually picked up some $$ out of the deal. :thu:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a buddy that had a motown/funk band here in SW Florida. As soon as the bars reopened in May, they went back to playing. Most of their gigs was in open air/tiki bars. They would post live feeds on facebook of their gigs. I didnt see many posts as of late, so i started searching for their schedule of events.

I found out the lead guitarist has died of covid. the drummer is current in ICU with the virus, and the bass player and his wife are both struggling at home with it. They were all unbelievers of the severity of the virus. They said it was nothing more than the flu. i mentioned on one of their live streams that the crowd wasnt wearing masks, and people were right up against the band dancing. They let their guards down, and it finally caught them. 

this makes 11 musicians i know that has caught the virus. 4 have died. they all caught it after the states reopening. their ages averaged 56.

• Members
3 hours ago, leftyjay said:

. . . this makes 11 musicians i know that has caught the virus. 4 have died. they all caught it after the states reopening. their ages averaged 56.

Sorry to hear about your friends/fellow musicians. :( Things will probably get worse before they get better too. Mojo on its way.

• Members
16 hours ago, leftyjay said:

I had a buddy that had a motown/funk band here in SW Florida. As soon as the bars reopened in May, they went back to playing. Most of their gigs was in open air/tiki bars. They would post live feeds on facebook of their gigs. I didnt see many posts as of late, so i started searching for their schedule of events.

I found out the lead guitarist has died of covid. the drummer is current in ICU with the virus, and the bass player and his wife are both struggling at home with it. They were all unbelievers of the severity of the virus. They said it was nothing more than the flu. i mentioned on one of their live streams that the crowd wasnt wearing masks, and people were right up against the band dancing. They let their guards down, and it finally caught them. 

this makes 11 musicians i know that has caught the virus. 4 have died. they all caught it after the states reopening. their ages averaged 56.

That sounds like a horrible experience, so sorry to hear about the losses you're experiencing. I guess I should be very grateful we're not having any problems like that here where I'm at!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

That sounds like a horrible experience, so sorry to hear about the losses you're experiencing. I guess I should be very grateful we're not having any problems like that here where I'm at!

not yet...:wave:

😷

• Members
23 hours ago, leftyjay said:

<...snip...> They let their guards down, and it finally caught them. 

Sorry to hear that.

Sadly it makes me feel better about being unemployed.

Our season (October through May) is usually booked by now, and we have zip - nada - zilch. Here in SE Florida we are dependent on the tourists and winter residents. I guess their plans are on hold.

I've been unemployed since March 17.

Fortunately the mortgage is paid and I have zero debt. That makes me one of the lucky ones I guess.

Notes

• Moderators
4 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

When do you think?

that is up to Covefefe19, and how well behaved your local populace is. We are re-closing bars, beaches, indoor dining because people stopped behaving when they were given a chance...

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

that is up to Covefefe19, and how well behaved your local populace is. We are re-closing bars, beaches, indoor dining because people stopped behaving when they were given a chance...

Where at?

• Members
On 6/28/2020 at 2:39 PM, Notes_Norton said:

Sventvkg the lame excuse about more testing was disproved so then our trumpuppet decided to blame it on the "Watermelon Picking Mexicans" (typical GOP lame blame it on the defenseless instead of "the buck stops here"). The testing was minimal, the cases hundreds of times more than the increased tests.

Yes, a depression will be bad, but the depression caused by killing millions will be worse, and people will be dead.

Despite what the GOP bumblers say, this is worse than anything since the Black Death. My brother-in-law is a world famous to other doctors doctor. He is known all over the world. He said, "You don't want to get this disease. It's extremely contagious, and highly destructive. Worse than SARS and anything else in the past couple of centuries. It makes the Spanish Flu look like an amateur.

Let me guess, you get your news from FOX and further to the right than that. Yes?

Notes

Fake news.jpg

Good. Stay inside for the few years you have left you old {censored}...I’m just down the street from you in Jupiter. Maybe I’ll come and breathe on you!! 😂😂😂😂🖕🏿💀🖕🏿

• Members
5 hours ago, sventvkg said:

Good. Stay inside for the few years you have left you old {censored}...I’m just down the street from you in Jupiter. Maybe I’ll come and breathe on you!! 😂😂😂😂🖕🏿💀🖕🏿

That won't work, a lot of people don't seem to understand that this virus is not airborne, you'd need to spit in one of his orifices.

• Members
6 hours ago, sventvkg said:

Great attitude.

IMHO this is exactly what is wrong with the USA right now. Aggressive, verbally violent, name calling behavior to someone who simply disagrees with you.

I could retaliate by saying, "I hope you go out get COVID and die a long, agonizing death on a ventilator after you infect all your loved ones" but won't because I do not want to lower myself to those standards. Instead I'll say, "When you go out and mix, I hope you are one of the lucky ones who don't get infected."

We have ceased to become a civilized country where people care about each other and are moving towards becoming a barbarian country where anger, hate, and fear rule -- it's "Me first and screw the rest of the world. and if you disagree with me and my chosen pundits, you aren't worth the air you breathe."

And I put a lot of the blame on political propaganda stations such as FOX and MSNBC that use hate and fear to manipulate their audiences. Fox and MSNBC are about half lies / half truth, and there are plenty of extremes past that threshold on both sides of the divide.

And dividing the country is good for the oligarchy, because a divided country is much easier to control. And the super-rich get richer at our expense.

We're all in this together. COVID doesn't care if you are rich, poor, republican, democrat, independent, young, old, middle aged, religious, atheist, or anything else. If the virus lands on you, all it cares is if you are a good host to replicate itself on.

We're all playing "COVID Roulette", but those who play it safe are not playing it as often, and those who don't wear protection are increasing the amount of live ammunition in the barrel.

The economy is going to tank whether we open up and kill millions or shelter in place and cause it to tank due to lack of spending.

The US Government waited 6 weeks with our leaders telling us "it's just the flu and will be gone by May." while their experts were telling them how serious this was. In the meantime, they were secretly selling their stocks, protecting their fortunes, and not caring about the people they were sworn to protect.

The US and Taiwan got the first case 1 day apart. Taiwan acted immediately, and now our percentage of infection is well over 1,000 times greater than that of Taiwan.

The window to save the economy was squandered by the Republican party and the POTUS. They blew it to save themselves.

We are now have the most cases in the world, and the blame falls on the ruling political party and the propaganda stations that tell us not to abide by our last hope, safety measures.

So the economy is going belly-up either way. I choose to err on the side of caution. You can do what you want, but I ask you not to use childish name calling and hate speech against those that disagree with you. That tells the world a lot about your level of civility and empathy.

Peace,
Notes

• Moderators
6 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

That won't work, a lot of people don't seem to understand that this virus is not airborne, you'd need to spit in one of his orifices.

Where did you get the impression this virus wasn't airborne? Are we on different planets? This isn't AIDS or HIV.  If the virus was not airborne, why would we need masks? It is an aerosol contagion...do you understand AT ALL what that means?

ggm, I realize you think you are somehow immune and all that, but honestly, I don't know where you get your info from, but I would suggest you expand your information sources IMMENSELY, because you are terribly misinformed.

Please do not continue passing on erroneous information on what is a well known and deadly contagion in these forums.

• Members

It's transmitted through the air, but seems to be much more contagious indoors vs outside, where the droplets or aerosols are diluted to where they carry a much less potent viral load. Any remaining doubt about this was erased with the growing expert consensus that the protests did not spread the virus.

This also shows that public health experts were correct, almost clairvoyant, in informing us as the protests were beginning, that the protests were worth the risk. Which could only mean that they knew there was very minimal risk. How they knew this without hanging out on hobbyist musicians' internet forums, we'll never know.

• Members

I read a report in the early days of reopening, at 10% capacity where people closest to the air conditioner return vent in over a dozen restaurants had the highest rate of infection.

Nobody coughed or spit on all these people in all these restaurants. The virus is definitely airborne.

This from trusted sources, not FOX or MSNBC or anything more extreme than that.

I'll believe the scientists that studied this.

Notes

• Members
6 hours ago, daddymack said:

Where did you get the impression this virus wasn't airborne? Are we on different planets? This isn't AIDS or HIV.  If the virus was not airborne, why would we need masks? It is an aerosol contagion...do you understand AT ALL what that means?

ggm, I realize you think you are somehow immune and all that, but honestly, I don't know where you get your info from, but I would suggest you expand your information sources IMMENSELY, because you are terribly misinformed.

Please do not continue passing on erroneous information on what is a well known and deadly contagion in these forums.

I started the thread to discuss the reemergence of live music, not get into an argument about the virus. I have no cause to lie and I no longer attempt to convince anyone of anything, I'm simply stating facts. Perhaps you don't understand what airborne actually means? Initially my wife, who actually is a doctor, told me that but by all means look it up on google:

"

Common question

Is the coronavirus disease airborne transmitted?

According to current evidence, COVID-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes. In an analysis of 75,465 COVID-19 cases in China, airborne transmission was not reported."

• Moderators

CHINA? Are you kidding...? The Chinese have been lying about virtually every aspect of Covfefe19...taking data from them is like believing Trump when he says 'trust me...':facepalm:

Got a more reliable source to back your 'facts' than a simple 'Google response...that likely engendered 30 pages? When you make a statement and claim it as 'fact', you need to be able to back it up solidly with named sources. Your unattributed source quoting Chinese information does not pass muster, sorry.  This is, to many of us, a life and death issue as attested to within the thread, so we need to be serious here, not flippant, or quasi-informed.

And, sadly, this is what happens to threads...they can get hijacked...sven hijacked it and paid the ultimate price...

• Members
38 minutes ago, daddymack said:

CHINA? Are you kidding...? The Chinese have been lying about virtually every aspect of Covfefe19...taking data from them is like believing Trump when he says 'trust me...':facepalm:

Got a more reliable source to back your 'facts' than a simple 'Google response...that likely engendered 30 pages? When you make a statement and claim it as 'fact', you need to be able to back it up solidly with named sources. Your unattributed source quoting Chinese information does not pass muster, sorry.  This is, to many of us, a life and death issue as attested to within the thread, so we need to be serious here, not flippant, or quasi-informed.

And, sadly, this is what happens to threads...they can get hijacked...sven hijacked it and paid the ultimate price...

Ok well, now you know why I don't bother to discuss it anymore, I mean do you expect me to post a medical journal on disease transmission methods? I simply typed in "is the coronavirus airborne" at the google search line we all know and love. I guess be satisfied that google and I are in league with China conspiring to lie to you?

Perhaps this??:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/qa/is-the-coronavirus-airborne

I'd like to revisit the part where I stated that I don't bother to convince anyone of anything anymore and return to discussing Solo and Duo Acts if that would be ok?

• Members

OK, I checked it out. COVID-19 is not technically an Airborne Disease by definition it is a Droplet Disease.

On the other hand the primary mode of infection of COVID19 is Airborne Transmission.

Although Airborne Disease and Airborne Transmission use the same word, they are not the same thing.

So when someone says, "I'm not wearing a mask because COVID-19 is not an airborne disease." A person could counter with, "While you are technically correct, airborne transmission is it's primary mode of transmission."

COVID is not a contact disease either, but it can also be transmitted by contact with an infected person.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

So when someone says, "I'm not wearing a mask because COVID-19 is not an airborne disease." A person could counter with, "While you are technically correct, airborne transmission is it's primary mode of transmission."

Thank you, I was getting ready to post the same thing. If you don't know what doctors mean by "airborne" you can get confused. This is from ggm1960's webmd.com link:

When someone coughs, sneezes, or talks, these droplets can infect another person if they get into their airways. . . .

. . . Because we don’t know and completely understand this virus, it’s a good idea to take airborne precautions .

Coughing, sneezing, talking? Gosh, humans never do any of that, right? So it's okay to gather in social situations. :rolleyes2:

Archived