Is Live Music Making A Comeback?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a buddy that had a motown/funk band here in SW Florida. As soon as the bars reopened in May, they went back to playing. Most of their gigs was in open air/tiki bars. They would post live feeds o

Folks have taken different approaches and I have absolutely no problem with anyone determining what's in their own best interest just as I am uncompromising in determining mine, it should be understoo

all I can say is 'COME ON VACCINE!!!'

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm not partisan, and see faults on both sides of the fence, so to me it's figuring out who is the lesser of the evils.

America is #1. The greatest number of COVID cases and deaths in the world. So the question might be, "What do we do now?"

There will be a demand for live music as soon as we get this plague under control. People like live music and have liked it since the first cave man beat on logs.

So how do we get this plague dealt with as soon as possible so we can get back to gigging?

1.    Protect yourself and others. Wear your mask, wash your hands, turn air conditioners off and let fresh air in, keep social distancing, don't involve yourself in unnecessary crowds from gyms to bars to protests and do all you can to avoid getting or spreading COVID.

2.    Vote out the incompetents who made us #1 in the world, because they have bungled it for over a half year and there is no sign they are going to do anything but bungle the response

I'm sorry if #2 is slightly political, but it is not partisan. I've voted both parties and third parties as well. I have no partisan axe to grind and I do not believe what they say on either FOX or MSBNBC because I know about half of what they report runs from "Mostly False" to "Pants On Fire".

And there are worse liars on either side of the fence.

Notes

Edited by Notes_Norton
typo
  • Members

MS is currently being hard hit but life still seemingly goes on all around me. Several of my friends are regularly doing gigs (mostly outside) but in the metro musical community on FB, which is admirably close- knit and supportive, I don't know of a single gigger that has contracted COVID (ok, one couple early on, but they didn't get it from gigging). As for myself, I have a couple of weddings this month..I'll skip the obligatory detailing as to why, but they are on the safer end of the gig spectrum. Glad to have them but it's not jamming with my friends. This recluse musician stuff sucks, I'm tired of it. Like everyone I bitch about the heat and humidity of outside gigs in summer, but now I'd gladly deal with it just to play. Until then I'll just keep that axe sharp and add to my skill set.   

I finally lined up at the PUA gig-worker trough, grateful that it's there but I'm convinced every politician in the US is stupid. Makes no sense- friends of mine that made $100 a week in 2019 seemingly get the same weekly amount as those that made $700 a week (after write-offs I was less than that). To get the $1200 stimulus you have to be current on taxes (if you are required to file a return) otherwise, no go. But for giggers PUA you seemingly can just make up figures for your income, with the warning that you may be audited down the road. No doubt there is a lot of fraud going on.

I'm sure there will be another CARES act forthcoming, but not as much- the gravy train is over. Actually I was shocked that independent contractors were not left out of financial assistance, seeing as how we are the red headed step children of the economy.

• Members

As music is my profession, I claim every penny earned and take every deduction allowed. My wife/duo partner, who does the same, got audited 3 times by the IRS and came out smelling like a rose in all 3.

It pays to be legit.

Notes

• Members
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, pinkfloydcramer61 said:

I'm sure there will be another CARES act forthcoming, but not as much- the gravy train is over. Actually I was shocked that independent contractors were not left out of financial assistance, seeing as how we are the red headed step children of the economy.

Yes I saw that our GDP was down over 34% for second quarter 2020, anyone with basic math skills should see how precarious that can leave us. The huge avionics company I work for has announced some significant layoffs and it's easy to predict more chain reactions coming across the board. Soup line anyone?

We played our gig at Nautifish on Lake of the Ozarks Saturday night, had a great time, perhaps we can call ourselves a regional act now? We'd rescheduled the July 26 afternoon gig we had to later this month due to weather and have another booked for September 4th at Stone City. We'll need to see where things are at before booking any later than September because outdoor temperatures can become more intermittent as October rolls around.

The gigs won't matter too much for us since we'll need to halt that by early next year anyway. We both now have dates and a solid retirement (or at least semi-retirement) plan now in place which includes moving out west to Utah. We've got a number of home update/maintenance projects to take care of and will probably need to move a lot of stuff, including music gear, into storage early next year as we list our house for sale.

Edited by ggm1960
  • Members
7 minutes ago, ggm1960 said:

Yes I saw that our GDP was down over 34% for second quarter 2020, anyone with basic math skills should see how precarious that can leave us.

The supposed 32.9% drop-off in 2nd quarter US GDP, trumpeted in all the major media headlines, is annualized. The actual downturn in 2nd quarter US GDP was closer to 10%- less than that of Germany. 

• Members
3 hours ago, pinkfloydcramer61 said:

The supposed 32.9% drop-off in 2nd quarter US GDP, trumpeted in all the major media headlines, is annualized. The actual downturn in 2nd quarter US GDP was closer to 10%- less than that of Germany. 

Actually I saw the number at a .gov website and I've gone back to look again. It's apparently still an estimate at this point. As it's a percentage it's apparently based off the numbers from the previous quarter(s). I see there it also says "seasonally adjusted at annual rates". I don't have the time to dig in and do any deep research but obviously what I'm seeing here looks concerning. I'd be interested to know more about what you mean if you could summarize it in a way that's not overly complex.

Chart showing Real GDP: Percent change from preceding quarter
  • Members

It's been 30 years since I got my BA in business from CowCow U, so I may be fuzzy about some things. It's my understanding that an annualized 32.9 % drop in GDP for 2nd quarter means that if that same % drop (which was actually around 10%) remained the same for the next 3 quarters (a whole year) it would amount to a 32.9% drop for the entire year.

Hopefully daddymack or Notes or somebody intelligent  can verify that and explain it better.

• Members

Priorities have changed significantly for us, our house took a direct hit from Monday's "derecho" while our whole town and much of the surrounding area has been devastated. Massive trees have been uprooted, semis overturned, poles, signs, billboards, etc. bent backwards and littering the streets. A storm with sustained winds in excess of 100mph, equal to a hurricane, has done massive damage to many homes and businesses and we have no idea when power will be restored for much of the area. I've just returned to work today where there is power and internet in this building.

Our house lost half of the roofing leaving one particularly large exposed area that took on a lot of water. We had a ceiling cave in upstairs in one of the bedrooms from the soaked attic insulation. We're exhausted from cutting up blown over trees, limbs and other debris around the yard and driveway. We were able to borrow a generator yesterday and got some fans blowing up into the attic through the gaping hole that used to be ceiling. Ceiling, carpeting, sub-flooring and who knows what all else will need to be repaired and replaced. We'll be in recovery mode for months to come, likely well into next year so we've rented a storage unit and plan to start packing and moving a lot of things out of the house. We've stayed with relatives who live 40 minutes to the south the last couple of nights. It's amazing how trivial the "big" problems we had a few days ago have become!

• Members

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the repairs.

From one who has been in over a dozen hurricanes, take it one step at a time and it will get better. If you are like me, you'll miss the trees more than anything.

• Moderators

derechos are  historically rare in the US, so I am sorry to hear you were slammed, ggm...it's like a tornado and a hurricane combined. Hopefully your insurance will cover the bulk of the costs, but waiting for the money sux...we gave up on FEMA after the '94 quake here, but I was lucky enough to have bought quake insurance in November of '93. By the time FEMA got around to us, I'd already done the repairs, and paid my deductible.

• Members
On 8/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Notes_Norton said:

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the repairs.

From one who has been in over a dozen hurricanes, take it one step at a time and it will get better. If you are like me, you'll miss the trees more than anything.

It was incredibly overwhelming at first but we're slowly coming to terms with what we'll need to do. Power is slowly being restored around the area, we had a contractor over yesterday, still waiting for the insurance rep. A friend helped us get tarps on the worst parts of the roof. I've been wearing out my little Poulan Pro chainsaw and had to order some new parts for it.

The damage to our second floor is extensive so I'm certain that Brenda and I will need to move into the basement bedroom. With that in mind we're clearing stuff out of there and will be moving a lot of stuff into storage as well as eliminating a lot of other things, we have a move planned in under a year so that part is actually a positive direction albeit a bit premature.

I figured our music career was over for a while, perhaps until after we move but Brenda mentioned she'd still like to play the two or three gigs we have on the books if they're a go and then we'll see what happens going forward after that. It is a day by day thing for sure.

ceiling01.jpg

ceiling02.jpg

• Members

Do your best to keep water out of your hom, tarps, tape, whatever.

If it's anything like after a hurricane, construction contractors will be backed up for months.

The most important thing is that you all weren't seriously injured.

From here on in it's a giant PITA but step by step things will happen to make it better.

Notes

• Members

Thanks for the concern, understanding and sympathy, we've all had to live through some rough times and I've never seen damage on such a large scale as what areas of this state are experiencing now. This has turned into my disaster update thread I suppose.

Good things have been happening, electrical crews, National Guard (to help with tree/branch removal) and other relief efforts and supplies have been pouring in. We got our electric back on Saturday afternoon. If I'm remembering what I heard right there were about 2500 poles down so the utility company, along with lots of outside help, have really been kicking butt! That was a huge step and today we're supposed to have some folks come along to help get our roof better covered, it's extremely fortunate there hasn't been anymore rain since the storm.

I got the parts and repaired my chainsaw yesterday but the biggest part of that work is over and I'm going to put that away and concentrate on other things now. With the electric back and getting the roof covered there will be less immediate stress and we can get things packed up and moved to storage as our 2nd floor will inevitably become a construction site in the weeks and months ahead.

I took some videos at work while the storm was occurring....

IMG_0926.mp4