COVID unemployment until whenever?????????

• Members

I'm rather frustrated by it all I suppose because I feel like I came to terms with it months ago and now it's like I'm just waiting for the country to catch up and learn to deal. I realize that may not be a popular thought process for many but I can't lie to myself or others.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was upset at first, but now I'm being patient and making the best of it.

I read about people, even those with no or light symptoms ending up with permanent damage to lungs, brain, kidney, heart and/or other organs. My brother-in-law who is a world famous doctor to other doctors verifies that. He's stuck in Australia right now. He says "You don't want to get this disease."

So being stuck at home IMO is better than playing Russian Roulette with something that can kill or permanently damage me. I feel erring on the side of caution is a good way for me to play this.

The people who are chomping at the bit to get back to 'normal' will be the beta testers. I'll wait and see how they do before I come out of my little half acre in paradise.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

"The people who are chomping at the bit to get back to 'normal' will be the beta testers."

I'm with you.  Restaurants in RI (I'm on the MA/RI border.) have been open for a week doing outdoor dining; only by reservation, social tracking, etc. 

This week RI restaurants are expanding to inside dining at 50% capacity by reservation with social tracking.  btw: RI even has an app to put on your phone that will track your location and store the info just in case you get affected (social tracking).

The above does not sound like a relaxing restaurant visit to me................

For our family, we say "Why take a chance?"  We're all healthy (kinda sick of each other at this point) but we are healthy...............

All of my gigging is off the table through September 1st....'been practicing daily and started playing another instrument for fun (beats watching TV).

As the weather warms we will probably start going to the beach....and stay clear of everyone else.

Mike M

• Members
7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I just got a humorous picture in my mind about people sitting down to eat at a restaurant with their masks on.

That is funny and a touch ironic. Open the restaurant but nobody can eat. At some point you have to take the mask off.

• Members
17 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

That is funny and a touch ironic. Open the restaurant but nobody can eat. At some point you have to take the mask off.

Or going back to work and trying to sing and play my sax, flute, and wind MIDI controller with a mask on :D

• Members
9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Or going back to work and trying to sing and play my sax, flute, and wind MIDI controller with a mask on :D

Yeah, at some point people have to decide what "acceptable risk" means to them.

• Members

I understand that there are more than a few restaurant workers that do not want to return to work due to the reduced restaurant capacity along with the reluctance of patrons to go out and dine, they figure that they will make less $ than they are collecting on unemployment....

'can't say that I blame them....

• Members
14 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Yeah, at some point people have to decide what "acceptable risk" means to them.

True. It's a risk vs severity issue.

My brother-in-law is a world famous doctor among other doctors. I read things on the 'net and he not only verifies them but tells me "You do not want to get this disease. It makes the flu seem like child's play".

Even asymptomatic or those with mild symptoms can end up with permanent brain, heart, kidney, and/or lung damage. I make my living with my lungs (sax, wind synth, flute and vocals) and if my lung function is compromised 10% that's way too much. Or what about the 45 year old healthy, athletic male who got it, it destroyed his kidneys, and has to go dialysis 3 times a week for the rest of his now shortened life? Or brain damage? I like my brain. I'm rather fond of my heart as well.

So exposing yourself might be like paying Russian Roulette with a revolver that has a thousand chambers, but there is no gain to play that game, little risk, but devastating consequences if you lose.

Until they get either a better way of curing the disease or a vaccine to prevent it, I'm going to err on the side of caution.

But that' just me.

Notes

• Members
On 5/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, Notes_Norton said:

9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

. . . I make my living with my lungs (sax, wind synth, flute and vocals) and if my lung function is compromised 10% that's way too much. Or what about the 45 year old healthy, athletic male who got it, it destroyed his kidneys, and has to go dialysis 3 times a week for the rest of his now shortened life? Or brain damage? I like my brain. I'm rather fond of my heart as well. . . .

Sorry to be impertinent but I just thought about hooking a sax up to a portable air compressor. Sort of an accordion/bagpipe vibe. And yes, I'm being facetious  and I know a large part of playing is breathing control, which would be difficult with a compressor, but it would allow you to play while wearing a mask. I wonder if it's possible...?

• Members

Not possible, It also requires lip pressure, lip placement, changing the shape of the aural cavity, changing the tension of the diaphragm and abdominal muscles and perhaps the biggest 'no' factor, the ability to sneak in very deep breaths in the tiniest fraction of a second.

I can play my guitar, bass, drums or keys without a mask, but the sax/wind-synth/flute is my main voice. Vocals are second, guitar is a distant third.

Notes

• Members

I use to have 6 shows every summer month in the season.  I have 5 now till September.  We are starting phase 2 in NYS which is good but by the time live music is back in phase 4 most facilities will have limited capacity.

• Members

I reunited with my old band for an outside gig last Saturday, 1st gig since the shutdown. We played for a 4-wheeler mud riding festival. People walking and riding around covered with mud, happy as could be. Some bizarre looking vehicles on display.

One of the band members was out while he and his wife recovered from the COVID-19 at home. They contracted it from their little boy. Word was that they were all doing well- but it was rough going for the 40-something parents. 

• Members

We have to remember that we are all equal in the 'eyes' of this virus. We have to all do our part, be kind, be considerate, and do what is necessary to slow and eventually stop this disease. I know when stress is high, it's easier and natrual to be frustrated, aggressive, and unkind, but those are counterproductive actions.

We're all in this together, and none of us want to be a casualty. So let's do what we can together. This too will pass.

Notes

• Members
2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

We have to remember that we are all equal in the 'eyes' of this virus. We have to all do our part, be kind, be considerate, and do what is necessary to slow and eventually stop this disease. I know when stress is high, it's easier and natrual to be frustrated, aggressive, and unkind, but those are counterproductive actions.

We're all in this together, and none of us want to be a casualty. So let's do what we can together. This too will pass.

Notes

thanks, im not quite homicidal although i did have a neighbor at gunpoint...   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I did my every two weeks or so trip to the grocery store this morning and am amazed at the number of people who aren't wearing masks, going the wrong way in aisles, and basically being uncivilized.

I guess the USA has become a barbarian nation. 😢

• Members
On 6/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, Notes_Norton said:

I did my every two weeks or so trip to the grocery store this morning and am amazed at the number of people who aren't wearing masks, going the wrong way in aisles, and basically being uncivilized.

I guess the USA has become a barbarian nation. 😢

More like slipping back into old habits. Doing the necessary thing requires thought and effort, doing the same old thing doesn't.

• Members
13 hours ago, daddymack said:

according to many  outside the USA, we always were...:wave:

Two years ago I spent 5 weeks in Australia. This showed me just how barbaric the USA is.

Take the drivers for instance. I was driving a hi-top camper van. If I wanted to change lanes, all I had to do was put my turn signal on and the driver in the other lane slowed down to let me in - every time.

They also drive in the slow lane, except to pass, and don't use their phones while driving.

You can stop to talk to just about anyone and end up with a conversation that lasts quite a while. I said hello to a man in a grocery store parking lot, before long there were a few of us getting to know each other.

On the way to visit a friend who I've known on another forum for many years I stopped at a convenience store to gas up and get some coffee. I mentioned I was going to see an Interne friend, and the clerk was clearly concerned for my safety about meeting an Internet friend in a remote section of Australia.

In the outback if you pull over to the side of the road, and another car passes, they will slow down to check to see if you are OK, and if you give them the thumbs-up sign, they'll wave and be on their way.

We met nothing but friendly, cheerful, helpful and pleasant people there. In the five weeks I was there I didn't meet one grouch or sourpuss.

Now I know you can meet some very nice people here in the USA, but there are also a lot of jerks. In Oz I didn't meet any jerks - only nice people. That makes a big difference.

I've been to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix & St John (USVI), more than half the Canadian provinces, 7 Mexican states, Bahama Islands, Bermuda Islands, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, England, Scotland, Wales, Gibraltar, The Netherlands, Hungary, Spain, Italy, Morocco, Czech Republic, Austria, Australia, Russia, Japan and China and I find the USA to be among the most uncivilized.

I wonder why this is?

OK that's drifting from the thread.

It looks like I may be gigging in late October. The place were we played once a week for 12 years and two owners is advertising on their website we'll return in "the season".

It's outdoors so we'll be relatively safe there.

Notes

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Secret Scion said:

I just saw a picture of them on Memorial day at some lake. Packed in at a pool. I think it was in the Ozarks or something like that. I'll bet those peopleare paying dearly now. 

that was Lake of the Ozarks, and yes, they will ALL DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH from covfefe19...:facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As it is written: "In the last days there shall be gigs, and rumors of gigs". In the last 3 weeks I've had rumors dangled in front of me, but no gigs. Currently one dangling for July 11, as a sub with the band I quit last December. It turns out they're gigging (outside) more than any other local group save one.

Archived