Still Scheming

gardo

• Members

Like most of us, I tend to accumulate guitar parts. I"ve been looking at Tele's (as usual) and dreaming of building exactly what I want someday. Well that day is NOT here.

But,I took inventory and really just need a body to build something . I want a Tele with sweet single coils . But  humbuckers are what I have so humbuckers it is. I scored a cheap body from GFS..

It needs wet sanded and buffed but I can do that.The good news is that it,s a full 1-3/4 thick this is a must for me. It's made of basswood ,which gets no respect even though the coveted MIJ Fenders used it. For what I'm doing it will be fine.

Image result for seafoam green tele body humbucker

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some of the pieces I have . The bridge plate could be cut down and drilled to more of a hard tail or a TOM bridge can be used  . Considering fashioning a pickgaurd of some sort with the laminate sample . Basically just going to jump in and see where it goes 

DD4853B2-A6F7-4970-9DE7-7BD14E34AA09.thumb.jpeg.415841b8abdae519edc4e9292f03e9f8.jpeg

• Members

A couple of problems using the ToM - most of the time on a tele you need to introduce some neck angle and second, they are usually 12 inch radius and tele necks usually aren't.   I would plan on the tele bridge and cutting it off.   You are drilled for string thru anyway.   Only other minor thing might be the wiring kit - you might want to change some items to work with the 'buckers.

• Members

. You,re right about the TOM .The sawed off tele plate is my first choice.  As for the wiring, it actually is for 2 'buckers so it has 500k  pots and correct tone cap so I should be good to go. The blend pot I have s also 500k . All leftover from a project that didn't happen

I spent a long time yesterday searching out your tele builds and taking notes.  Thanks Freeman

• Members

I kind of lost track of the threads that I did here so I redid the tele one at TDPRI 

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chambered-tele-ish-sort-of-thing.884657/

I also did a pretty complete one on frets and setup when you get to that point

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/basic-setup.952636/

If there is anything I can do to help just give a shout.   I'll be watching

• Members

A suggestion if you are interested. Why not wire the humbuckers series instead of parallel? They look to be 4 conductor, so use the tap wires as hot, and the hot and ground as..... wait for it.... ground. This way you would still have that tele twang (ish) with the benefit of bucking the hum.

And yeah, Basswood gets no respect, especially from a small company like Ibanez. Their highest end electric, the JEM is made from it, along with 90% of the RGs they make. but hey, what do they know?

• Members

Nice thing about tele type guitars, it’s simple to change the wiring. Sooner or later you know I will try series wiring. Good tip Thanks 

As for basswood, I guess I was thinking in Fender terms . You’re right other builders do quite well with it 

• Members
11 hours ago, badpenguin said:

A suggestion if you are interested. Why not wire the humbuckers series instead of parallel? They look to be 4 conductor, so use the tap wires as hot, and the hot and ground as..... wait for it.... ground. This way you would still have that tele twang (ish) with the benefit of bucking the hum.

There are actually 5 wires including the silver ground   Will this make any difference 

C5C7119C-265C-43A6-8270-4C837F75BE90.jpeg

• Members

Not at all. You have the black, and the bare wires as ground. Simply add the green wire to ground, and use the red/white as your hot wire to the switch. If you don't like it, it's easy to switch back. And you can always add 2 push/pull pots to add series/parallel or a coil tap.

• Members

For some reason I just don't like the look of the humbucker bridge plate.  That leaves a sawed off plate or a hardtail. I've had this plate laying around for several years . I can cut it down ,look at it  and if I don't like it go to plan  b,  Who  knows , I may even go with your suggestion after looking things over . I'll keep it in mind ,Thanks

• Members

Well  I got the neck pocket cleaned up

The neck is running evenly spaced with the string through holes and good for the scale length 

It took a little finessing with a sanding block,, a file, a dremel and a touch with a small chisel until I was satisfied 

Sawed off the bridge plate but still need to drill and countersink two more mounting holes. 

Laid some parts in place to look it over and I like it  

Next I’ll clamp the neck in place and use dental floss in the high and low E strings to be sure the strings are even along the  neck before drilling 

Don’t know why but my phone changes the color. It’s NOT BLUE. The color really is SEAFOAM spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

624AC6CF-8B1F-4B91-9171-F9FC394A2050.jpeg

80CA7C45-C9D4-44EE-998F-5E60D5ADD2C2.png

E146307F-06F1-4B60-BDC4-02A83E96ED5A.png

20 minutes ago, gardo said:

Don’t know why but my phone changes the color. It’s NOT BLUE. The color really is SEAFOAM imageproxy.php?img=&key=f97eefb1b72cb1bc

Looks like seafoam to me. :idk: 

That color has always had a bit of a bluish cast to it IMO... it will get greener as it ages - especially if it has clear lacquer top coats. 

• Members

Not sure yet what if anything I’ll do for a pickgaurd . I have a black one that could easily be opened up for a humbucker , I like the look but also thought about making one from this countertop sample. Probably something like a  Carbonita style. The last image is not mine

2276E090-5B46-44EC-A961-5070B30A319E.png

11356384-DC01-4333-BA66-914CCE00C0EC.png

57F7A510-F6A9-406E-93F5-EECD0621007A.png

2276E090-5B46-44EC-A961-5070B30A319E.thumb.png.144d018ac7226bcce7edb6711d20e677.png

11356384-DC01-4333-BA66-914CCE00C0EC.thumb.png.e89dba93544a924390b8921a9796eed8.png

57F7A510-F6A9-406E-93F5-EECD0621007A.thumb.png.b2feea2169212aabec6862f40940ff13.png

• Members
4 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Looks like seafoam to me. :idk: 

That color has always had a bit of a bluish cast to it IMO... it will get greener as it ages - especially if it has clear lacquer top coats. 

I knew I would get your attention with seafom , 

I see a difference between the camera image and the subject 

The color really looks good in person 

• Members

This project is about building a low budget partscaster

The body was $45 plus shipping and I bought a few pieces of hardware like the Pup rings

The neck was free ,Jim at the repair shop asked me to give it a good home 

Everything else was just laying around the house

Archived