Best three album run?

I'm fairly sure I bought my copy of MMT in the early '80s on vinyl in the UK on Parlophone. Probably an import, but I never noticed if it was.

You're correct that it wasn't released in 1967 in the UK as an LP, though.

It might have been an import that you had... then again, I could be wrong too - but I've always heard that it was only out as a double EP (with only six songs) in the UK until the CD was released. :idk:

Did your copy have the 1967 singles on side 2 - Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Hello Goodbye, etc? That's what we had here in the US, with the MMT film-related songs (Your Mother Should Know, Flying, Blue Jay Way, I Am The Walrus, Magical Mystery Tour and Fool On The Hill) on the first side of the LP.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't want to run afoul of the classic rock orthodoxy here at HCPP but:

Mr Bungle:

Mr Bungle

Disco Volante

California

The Fall:

This Nation's Saving Grace

Bend Sinister

The Frenz Experiment

The Stooges:

The Stooges

Raw Power

Funhouse

David Bowie:

Low

Heroes

Lodger

X:

Los Angeles

Wild Gift

Under the Big Black Sun

More Fun in the New World

Jesus Lizard:

Goat

Liar

Down

ZZTop:

Rio Grande Mud

Tres Hombres

Fandango

Don't want to run afoul of the classic rock orthodoxy here at HCPP but:

Mr Bungle:

Mr Bungle

Disco Volante

California

David Bowie:

Low

Heroes

Lodger

X:

Los Angeles

Wild Gift

Under the Big Black Sun

More Fun in the New World

All of your choices were good IMO, but I think these three are exceptionally so. :philthumb:

• Members

Guilty. Not just the guy, but the whole genre, with some few notable exceptions, David Bromberg being the most exceptional :D

[video=youtube;V2CwkDm1tE0]

I don't know Dave Bromberg.

Bob Dylan's art transcends the genre in my and many other people's opinions. His ability to say so much with so few words is what won him the Nobel. When you consider the sheer volume and breadth of his output over his career, with a few stinkers in there for sure , yes, that accolade was well deserved.

He synthesised at least a dozen new forms of 12 bar blues that are still popular to this day, and though his is muchsinging voice maligned, there are plenty of rock singers that WISH they could sing with a voice as raw and weighty as he found in himself in his early 20s.

I could wax on for a good 10000 words here! Buy I'll let it at that. I know you think he's a shuck, basically. Like EVERYTHING else that we discuss on this forum, I couldn't disagree with you more wholeheartedly :lol:

:facepalm:

• Members
Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Subdivisions

While I wholeheartedly agree, I must say that their run started with Caress of Steel, and followed by: 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres and through Signals (Which Subdivisions was on).

That seven year period was their greatest era and all of those albums got serious airplay.

• Members

Facelift

Dirt

Alice in Chains

Unplugged

(Believe it or not, my fav band of all time).

Alice in Chains

Badmotorfinger

Superunknown

Down on the Upside

Soundgarden

Phenomenon

Force it

No Heavy Petting

Lights Out

Obsession

All albums contributed to my all-time favorite concert playlist found on the album:

Strangers in the NIght

U.....F.....O!!!!!

• Members

While I wholeheartedly agree, I must say that their run started with Caress of Steel, and followed by: 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres and through Signals (Which Subdivisions was on).

That seven year period was their greatest era and all of those albums got serious airplay.

Rush's run started and ended with their first album.

IMHO

I saw them on the Fly By Night tour, opening for KISS. :)

• Moderators

I don't know Dave Bromberg.

Ironically, Bromberg was a friend of Dylan, and plays on at least two of his albums that I know of - Self-Portrait and New Morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bromberg

He synthesised at least a dozen new forms of 12 bar blues that are still popular to this day

What? How? Examples, please.

• Members

Listen to the 3 albums I listed earlier in the thread. 12 bar blues is by its nature a derivative idiom, but it had never before been treated the way Dylan treated it on those albums.

• Members

Listen to the 3 albums I listed earlier in the thread. 12 bar blues is by its nature a derivative idiom, but it had never before been treated the way Dylan treated it on those albums.

• Members

I'm a middle aged dude and there are maybe 6 Rush songs that I have ever heard on the radio, ever. Half of those are on Moving Pictures or later.

• Moderators

That's not helpful. Suggesting that I listen to 3 Dylan albums, especially his early work, is like suggesting I stick 3 safety pins in my face and "try to enjoy it". You have a specific example, ONE song where he "synthesizes a new form of the 12 bar blues"?

• Members

That's not helpful. Suggesting that I listen to 3 Dylan albums, especially his early work, is like suggesting I stick 3 safety pins in my face and "try to enjoy it". You have a specific example, ONE song where he "synthesizes a new form of the 12 bar blues"?

:lol:

I didn't say you had to enjoy it!

Highway 61 revisited.

It's rock n roll, but not as we know it, Jim

Archived