Best three album run?

• Moderators

:lol:

I didn't say you had to enjoy it!

Highway 61 revisited.

It's rock n roll, but not as we know it, Jim

I know that tune, and that album, backwards and forwards. There's no new forms being synthesized there, just the same ol' blues, played fairly clumsily by a bunch of white dudes and recorded HORRIBLY.

And before you suggest that "It takes a lot blah blah blah" is an innovation, check out some of the Reverend Gary Davis tunes, that's where all that "odd bar "stuff and different turnarounds come from. And Blind Blake, and Buddy Moss, Blind Boy Fuller, etc... the Piedmont guys. We can thank John Hammond Sr., whose nephew I went to school with, for giving Bob an education :D

I can see how Dylan might appeal to some people lyrically, but of musical value, I just can't find any there. As always, YMMV.

Ironically, I've worked with several people over my career who have worked closely with Dylan, been in his bands, etc... Al Kooper, T Bone Burnett, Charlie Sexton, to name a few. Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut and my opinions to myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I enjoyed seeing and agreed with most but here are a few off the top of my head.

CCR

Born on the Bayou

Green River

Willy and the Poor Boys

Elvis

Elvis Presley

Elvis!

Elvis Presley Christmas Album(His only Grammy album.)

INXS

Shabooh Shoobah

The Swing

Listen Like Thieves

Kick

R.E.M.

Murmur

Reckoning

Fables of the Reconstruction

Life's Rich Pageant

Document

The Clash

The Clash

Give 'Em Enough Rope

London Calling

• Members

That's not helpful. Suggesting that I listen to 3 Dylan albums, especially his early work, is like suggesting I stick 3 safety pins in my face and "try to enjoy it". You have a specific example, ONE song where he "synthesizes a new form of the 12 bar blues"?

Though there were plenty of "alternative" types in the 70s and 80s who did just that.

• Moderators

When it comes to "rock" music, I think this is the longest run of consecutive great albums of all.

The Grand Wazoo

Overnite Sensation

Apostrophe

Roxy & Elsewhere

One Size Fits All

Bongo Fury

Zoot Allures

Zappa In New York

Studio Tan

Sleep Dirt

Sheik Yerbooti

Joe's Garage Act I

Joe's Garage Acts 2 & 3

By the mighty Frank Zappa!

• Members
When it comes to "rock" music, I think this is the longest run of consecutive great albums of all.

The Grand Wazoo

[...]

Joe's Garage Acts 2 & 3

By the mighty Frank Zappa!

You left out Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch. Yes, Valley Girl was a shameless sell-out by Zappa standards, but the rest of the album was pretty good.

• Members

I'm a middle aged dude and there are maybe 6 Rush songs that I have ever heard on the radio, ever. Half of those are on Moving Pictures or later.

While I do not know what your metric is for middle-aged dude, I graduated high school in the early '80's. I also grew up in Los Angeles where there were two competing AOR rock stations: KLOS and KMET. KMET played stuff KLOS would not touch, or were played less in the rotation. If one wished to listed to Rush beyond Spirit of the Radio, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, etc... one would listed to KMET.

In the mid-to-late 80's, when heavy metal was getting a lot of attention, but prior to the hair bands taking over, KNAC, out of Long Beach, went from a New-Wave format to heavy metal. They played a lot of the Rush catalog beyond the obligatory songs.

You could also catch a lot of their music when Bob Coburn was on (Both KLOS and KLSX) or Jim Ladd (KLOS and KMET; he came to KLOS after KMET changed format).

Their songs also got a lot of airplay beginning in the mid-90's when KLOS went to a Classic Rock format. At the same time KLSX came into existence and they also played a lot of the Rush catalog.

Their was another station out of LA in the early 90's (Pirate Radio) that chased the hair metal wave but played a lot of AOR later at night. I used to listed to them while driving home to Apple Valley from work in Riverside.

San Bernardino also has a station: KCAL, who until the late 00's was an AOR station. When I moved to Apple Valley in 90 they were the only AOR station I could reliably get up there. They played a lot of the Rush catalog beyond Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

Hendrix is the answer to this and any or all such GOAT questions.

I think someone else already mentioned Are You Experienced? / Axis: Bold as Love / Electric Ladyland... but yeah, IMO that's definitely deserving of being mentioned as a great three-album run. :thu:

• Members

San Bernardino also has a station: KCAL, who until the late 00's was an AOR station. When I moved to Apple Valley in 90 they were the only AOR station I could reliably get up there. They played a lot of the Rush catalog beyond Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

I don't remember being able to receive that in the high desert. There was an AOR station in Twentynine Palms that maybe played Tom Sawyer or New World Man once in a blue moon before corporate programming took over in the late 80s. The "butt rock" station where I live now (called THE BONE, pronounced THE BOOOOOOOOOONE) will occasionally play Working Man.

• Moderators

You left out Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch. Yes, Valley Girl was a shameless sell-out by Zappa standards, but the rest of the album was pretty good.

The B side - the "live side" - is amazing. The title track in particular, as well as "Envelopes" contain some astonishing writing and arrangement.

• Members

It might have been an import that you had... then again, I could be wrong too - but I've always heard that it was only out as a double EP (with only six songs) in the UK until the CD was released. :idk:

Did your copy have the 1967 singles on side 2 - Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Hello Goodbye, etc? That's what we had here in the US, with the MMT film-related songs (Your Mother Should Know, Flying, Blue Jay Way, I Am The Walrus, Magical Mystery Tour and Fool On The Hill) on the first side of the LP.

Yep, that's the one I have. It's just the same as the CD.

• Members

I don't remember being able to receive that in the high desert. There was an AOR station in Twentynine Palms that maybe played Tom Sawyer or New World Man once in a blue moon before corporate programming took over in the late 80s. The "butt rock" station where I live now (called THE BONE, pronounced THE BOOOOOOOOOONE) will occasionally play Working Man.

You could not get KCAL in the Morongo Basin area. When I worked for Morongo Basin Ambulance, driving in from Apple Valley, I would lose it just east of Lucerne Valley while on 247, and if I came up from the valley (like when I was doing my medic internship at Colton Fire) I would lose it as I drove up the Morongo Grade, south of Morongo Valley. Hell, even the local Victorville rock station (pretty crappy) lost signal east of Lucerne.

I cannot remember what station I listened to while in the Morongo Basin but it was a local station and mostly played grunge, Pop-Grunge (like Nickelback, Smashmouth and Sugar Ray), Nu-Metal and some classic rock. That was when I first heard that Chumbawamba song: "Tubthumping". That station played the poop out of that song. I think I was also able to get one of the stations that were out of Barstow...The one that was on multiple frequencies and you would hop from one to the other depending on your location. I think it was KXXZ (95.9), KHDR (96.9) and one other. You used to be able to see the signs along the 15 to Vegas and the 40 to Laughlin.

You could not get KCAL in the Morongo Basin area. When I worked for Morongo Basin Ambulance, driving in from Apple Valley, I would lose it just east of Lucerne Valley while on 247, and if I came up from the valley (like when I was doing my medic internship at Colton Fire) I would lose it as I drove up the Morongo Grade, south of Morongo Valley. Hell, even the local Victorville rock station (pretty crappy) lost signal east of Lucerne.

FM doesn't travel beyond the visual horizon. Once the mountains start getting in the way, you lose it.

Picking up any LA, San Bernardino or even Victorville / Apple Valley-based FM station out past Johnson Valley is going to be pretty spotty, and once you get to Morongo or 29 Stumps, you can forget it... unless they have a relay transmitter in the area. That's probably how you were picking up the Barstow station.

• Members

FM doesn't travel beyond the visual horizon. Once the mountains start getting in the way, you lose it.

Picking up any LA, San Bernardino or even Victorville / Apple Valley-based FM station out past Johnson Valley is going to be pretty spotty, and once you get to Morongo or 29 Stumps, you can forget it... unless they have a relay transmitter in the area. That's probably how you were picking up the Barstow station.

I figured. I remembered some of the Radio Communications class I took in '84. I knew that KCAL had a repeater in Fawnskin or Arrowhead. Even so, there were areas of Apple Valley in which I did not get a good signal at all. The Victorville station was OTH by the time I got to the east side of Lucerne.

Growing up in the LA metro area made it hard to believe that I could not get a signal anywhere I went. Then I remembered that FM does not go through earth and rock very well, and the tallest mountains in the area did not have repeaters for many of the LA stations while Mount Wilson was nearly OTH up there.

One could tell the higher watt LA stations just by reception. KLOS was spotty in AV but you could get KIIS FM nearly everywhere you went in the Victor Valley.

Archived