Best three album run?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The B side - the "live side" - is amazing. The title track in particular, as well as "Envelopes" contain some astonishing writing and arrangement.

Agreed. Whenever I think of that album, I hear the "game show" xylophone runs from the title track run through my head......:lol: That song puts a grin on my face every time!

• Members

I know that tune, and that album, backwards and forwards. There's no new forms being synthesized there, just the same ol' blues, played fairly clumsily by a bunch of white dudes and recorded HORRIBLY.

And before you suggest that "It takes a lot blah blah blah" is an innovation, check out some of the Reverend Gary Davis tunes, that's where all that "odd bar "stuff and different turnarounds come from. And Blind Blake, and Buddy Moss, Blind Boy Fuller, etc... the Piedmont guys. We can thank John Hammond Sr., whose nephew I went to school with, for giving Bob an education :D

I can see how Dylan might appeal to some people lyrically, but of musical value, I just can't find any there. As always, YMMV.

Ironically, I've worked with several people over my career who have worked closely with Dylan, been in his bands, etc... Al Kooper, T Bone Burnett, Charlie Sexton, to name a few. Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut and my opinions to myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

​​​​​​

It's not all about well recorded musically perfect cuts.

I can flat out guarantee you that the bluesmen you reference above never made a non sloppy record in their lives. And fwiw, Dylan was well schooled before Hammond Jr found him.

Itrw, we'd be having a Spotify war about this :mad:

• Moderators

​​​​​​

It's not all about well recorded musically perfect cuts.

I didn't say it was. You made a statement claiming Dylan "synthesized several new forms of the 12 bar blues". I can't find any evidence to support that statement, try as I might.

I can flat out guarantee you that the bluesmen you reference above never made a non sloppy record in their lives. And fwiw, Dylan was well schooled before Hammond Jr found him.

I'm not sure why you're bringing up "sloppiness", which I've never had an issue with. I said "clumsily played", which is very different from "sloppy". By saying that, I meant that the grooves are stiff, and the phrasing of the players is stilted and awkward, with perhaps the exception of Al Kooper.

• Members

I didn't say it was. You made a statement claiming Dylan "synthesized several new forms of the 12 bar blues". I can't find any evidence to support that statement, try as I might.

I'm not sure why you're bringing up "sloppiness", which I've never had an issue with. I said "clumsily played", which is very different from "sloppy". By saying that, I meant that the grooves are stiff, and the phrasing of the players is stilted and awkward, with perhaps the exception of Al Kooper.

Bahahahahahaaaaaa

Al Kooper, by his own confession, blagged his way into playing Hammond on LaRS. What are you talking about?

• Members

Little Steven has at least 2 10 minute intros to LaRS !! )

:)

there was no bigger Dylan fan than Jimi !! )

Bob raising the bar songwriting

extrapolates nicely with

Jimi raising the bar playing !! ) :)

• Members

Less rockin' than many choices so far:

Mona Bone Jakon

Tea for the Tillerman

Teaser and the Firecat

---Cat Stevens

Wrecking Ball

Red Dirt Girl

Stumble Into Grace

---Emmylou Harris

Couldn't choose just three:

Ry Cooder

Into the Purple Valley

Boomer's Story

Paradise and Lunch

Chicken Skin Music

--Ry Cooder

• Members
Bellybutton

Spilt Milk

...unfortunately, they never released a third record. :cry:

- Jellyfish

Those two albums are masterpieces.

Roger Manning and Jason Falkner both played with Beck. I think there are at least three great Beck albums, but not consecutive. Both of those guys also did some work with Air. Air has three albums that I would consider great but again, not consecutive.

• Members

Blue Lines

Protection

Mezzanine

(Massive Attack)

Protection is consider the weakest of the three, but still has great performances by Tracey Thorne and Tricky.

Mezzanine is the crowing achievement. Several songs on that album have been used as soundtracks for film and TV so even if you don't think you know it, you know it.

Less rockin' than many choices so far:

Wrecking Ball

Red Dirt Girl

Stumble Into Grace

---Emmylou Harris

Couldn't choose just three:

Ry Cooder

Into the Purple Valley

Boomer's Story

Paradise and Lunch

Chicken Skin Music

--Ry Cooder

I was wondering when someone was going to mention Emmylou Harris. When it comes to Country, she's as good as it gets IMO. :philthumb:

Ry's a monster too. :cool2: I never really was into Cat Stevens very much. Sorry...

Archived