Yorkville NX Vs. QSC K Series

• Members

I agree the OP needs to move up the food chain then he will hear the wow factor like with Meyer, Dynacore, and EAW stuff offers.

Wow. 176 posts about comparing NX to K and now we are talking Meyer. Can't wait to hear where this goes. We are in the $2000 per cab range now, correct? That makes me wonder. What is the most expensive cab out there?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have not found that the JBL's (512/15 or 712/15) are boomy or bass heavy at all. I do think the JBL are better than the K's and pretty much on par with the KW's though maybe the KW's are a little better that's a pretty subjective call.

I've installed a fair amount of EAW and (depending on the line) they are certainly comparable. I have some JF's that are very nice speakers, kind of in between the MRX and SRX but much heavier. Nice fly point options.

• Members

Wow. 176 posts about comparing NX to K and now we are talking Meyer. Can't wait to hear where this goes. We are in the $2000 per cab range now, correct? That makes me wonder. What is the most expensive cab out there?

Just saying none of those cabs have a wow factor beside my back line would walk all over both models.:lol:

• Members

Great thread.

A while back, I asked this forum what the best powered tops were in the mid range market (

It appears that since then, the answer has become PRX612M or KW12.

I believe that these speakers are currently the best that mainstream (we mortal musicians) sound has to offer.

Having stated this, last year I saw "Train" and "Lifehouse" in Cancun Mexico on the beach as the entertainment for a local radio station promo. I was STUNNED at the quality of the sound.

The setup was simple. Two poles. Each pole had 2 Meyer Sound UPA-1P on it. In the center of the stage was a Meyer sub (2x12 or 2x15 I believe). It was the kind of sound quality I have only dreamed of having live.

As my Grandma used to tell me .... wish in one hand and sh!t in the other .... see which one fills up. I don't know what the subs run, but I looked up the tops .... MSRP $5970.00 each. That pretty much puts these speakers into the "if I ever win the lottery" category for me ;)

• Members

Thanks aged..I thought in an earlier post you wereone who had said the JBL would be a step up from the Yorkville and drfinately abovethe K series. I owned a couple of I think they were EAW FR 15 somethings... and they just had no throw at all. They were warm sounding but you couldn't hear them more than (well I dont remember how many feet so I wont make it up) but ..they didnt throw any good distance..thats for sure.

• Members

Thanks aged..I thought in an earlier post you wereone who had said the JBL would be a step up from the Yorkville and drfinately abovethe K series. I owned a couple of I think they were EAW FR 15 somethings... and they just had no throw at all. They were warm sounding but you couldn't hear them more than (well I dont remember how many feet so I wont make it up) but ..they didnt throw any good distance..thats for sure.

I have some EAW NT59s that sound way better than my PRX 512m or 535s. They also cost about 5 times as much.

• Members

Having stated this, last year I saw "Train" and "Lifehouse" in Cancun Mexico on the beach as the entertainment for a local radio station promo. I was
STUNNED
at the quality of the sound.

The setup was simple. Two poles. Each pole had 2 Meyer Sound UPA-1P on it. In the center of the stage was a Meyer sub (2x12 or 2x15 I believe). It was the kind of sound quality I have only dreamed of having live.

As my Grandma used to tell me .... wish in one hand and sh!t in the other .... see which one fills up. I don't know what the subs run, but I looked up the tops .... MSRP $5970.00 each. That pretty much puts these speakers into the "if I ever win the lottery" category for me
;)

It's all about the quality... simple looking and simple using but you pay the piper for such simplicity. The UPA-1 is probably my favorite speaker except for the weight. The SRX-712M is not too far off of that mark... not as nice in the midrange but shares much the same flavor. There is some similarity in the type of components and design philosophy between the 712 and the UPA-1, not the same parts of course but similar approach. Getting into the powered version, there is a substantial difference in the approach to processing and protective limiting.

• Members

It's all about the quality... simple looking and simple using but you pay the piper for such simplicity. The UPA-1 is probably my favorite speaker except for the weight. The SRX-712M is not too far off of that mark... not as nice in the midrange but shares much the same flavor. There is some similarity in the type of components and design philosophy between the 712 and the UPA-1, not the same parts of course but similar approach. Getting into the powered version, there is a substantial difference in the approach to processing and protective limiting.

Thanks for the reply Agedhorse,

I am surprised to hear that you put a $800.00 in the same sonic galaxy as a $6000.00 one. If the PRX612M is even close to the UPA-1, it is a pretty darned good speaker indeed. I was all geared up to purchase the NX55p with the tax return this year, but perhaps I will be better served by the PRX612m.

Does the PRX612M perform in the same category as the SRX712M?

• Members

I'm the one selling the NX to buy the JBL. I will say this..the NX 55's are great full range cabinets ...very full sounding... and you will not go wrong buying them...period. I am going to sell my 2 x NX55's with my NX 720 sub ...all with cases for $2,100 - and the guy I bought them from will end up selling them for more. He is a York dealer and has people waiting to buy them. Again, I am only selling to really lighten my load.

• Members

Thanks for the reply Agedhorse,

I am surprised to hear that you put a $800.00 in the same sonic galaxy as a $6000.00 one. If the PRX612M is even close to the UPA-1, it is a pretty darned good speaker indeed. I was all geared up to purchase the NX55p with the tax return this year, but perhaps I will be better served by the PRX612m.

Does the PRX612M perform in the same category as the SRX712M?

You are missing some of the details.

Specifically, I was suggesting that the UPA was similar to the SRX, and if looking at a POWERED solution then the SRX-712 with power and DSP is going to be about ~$2500 per box. This also assumes proper DSP programming which is not a trivial matter. It's a similar type of sound, I still prefer the Meyer but the SRX comes pretty close with appropriate DSP programming. The same cost ratio applies when looking at the older unpowered UPA's like what Mark and I have. So the comparison would be ~$1000 versus ~$2500.

The PRX-612 is not as good as the SRX, completely different driver compliment BUT it probably performs as well for the average person because it's internal DSP and biamped, the processing is well engineered to maximize the boxes' performance. The average user probably gets only 50% of the available performance when trying to roll their own DSP programming from what I see in the field. It's not trivial.

• Members

OK, just checked. Overall, the PRX system with two tops and the sub, will net you a weight reduction of 9 lbs. total

Your PRX sub dimension increases by 4.1 cu. ft. (9.25 cu.ft. vs 5.12 cu. ft.)

The PRX sub weighs 4.8 lbs more than your NX720p (81.5 lbs. vs 77.6 lbs.)

The PRX tops are 6.5 lbs. lighter. (34.5 vs 41 lbs.)

• Members

OK, just checked. Overall, the PRX system with two tops and the sub, will net you a weight reduction of 9 lbs. total

He may want to just no longer need to carry a subwoofer for partying, like me.

I'm looking to sell my two NX55P and two LS720P for JBL PRX625 probably. I think it would be a good compromise ...

• Members

Sometimes you just need to break up with a speaker and find a new one, "it's not you, it's me":)

• Members

sorry, i dont understand your comment

french ?
:)

J'ai simplement suggere qu'il serait peut-etre plus avantagee de rester avec les NX55p, au lieu de les PRX612m, s'il ne veut pas transporter un 'sub". J'crois que les NX55p peuve aller plus bas que les PRX, non?

• Members

J'ai simplement suggere qu'il serait peut-etre plus avantagee de rester avec les NX55p, au lieu de les PRX612m, s'il ne veut pas transporter un 'sub". J'crois que les NX55p peuve aller plus bas que les PRX, non?

Yes they can go lower, but the limiter loads too quickly.

It would have to renew their product ranges yorkville and out something new, like a NX750P V2 lighter and with two handle.

Sometimes I find that both NX55P plays better solo for the dance floor without the subwoofer but lacks punch ...

Oui, ils peuvent descendre plus bas, mais le limiteur embarque trop rapidement...

Ils auraient

Archived