Yorkville NX Vs. QSC K Series

• Members

The 600 prx series isnt that old is it? This year? Cant imagine JBL would replace it that quickly.

Could be he's not talking about JBL.

I would have hoped the K10 threw deeper than the K8 because of the narrower dispersment. I was originally going to look into the K10 when a really good deal came by for a pair of K8's. When I saw I wasn't completely happy with the K8 I was considering checking out the K10's when I got a really good deal on the EV's (and the 600 series was not quite out yet on the JBL's and some people were complaining about the 500 series) When I have a chance I will try to find the info I ran across on their "conical" deisgn.

I considered checking out Yorkville but they were heavier than I wanted to go. This is for an acoustic act (if I haven't said that) and could double for small parties on top of my 418 subs. (might even sell 1 sub) I would love to hear the PRX 12 side by side with the SxA360 some time. Anyone live of Long Island with a pair of PRX's?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I were buying speakers this late in the year I would wait to see what comes out at winter NAMM 2011 in Anaheim, but that's just the way I am.

Not sure when winter NAMM is, but I will likely be purchasing in late January (after tax return). If it isn't by then .... well, I suppose I could wait a little while. The problem with newly released equipment is that there isn't much review time and no one else has them to compare opinions on them. I am still thinking the herd is limited to the PRX and the NX for that reason.

• Members

I think it was the "gate" that was the problem of the soft note drop off. (Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in) Whatever the problem was, there was concern if it was taken care of in the new product that was coming out at the time I was researching.

Does EV have ANYTHING to offer in this discussion? (And I'm not talking about the SxA360) I've seen some love for the ZX5 but not much for the ZX3.

Maybe they are the ones to watch for at NAMM.

• Members

Not sure when winter NAMM is, but I will likely be purchasing in late January (after tax return). If it isn't by then .... well, I suppose I could wait a little while. The problem with newly released equipment is that there isn't much review time and no one else has them to compare opinions on them. I am still thinking the herd is limited to the PRX and the NX for that reason.

Winter NAMM 2011 will be going on January 13 to the 16, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center across the street from Disneyland and California Adventures.

http://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2011

Harmony Central will have full coverage and videos.

I'm thinking Yorkville and EV will have new powered speakers for the show.

• Members

I would love to hear the PRX 12 side by side with the SxA360 some time. Anyone live of Long Island with a pair of PRX's?

Bring a good jazz CD with you, something with a female vocal track, like Norah Jones, and compare the vocal presence of the EV with the others. I think it will be revealing.

• Members

Since we're talking about EV.... A little side commment.

Where I live, it seems I can't go to a convention, auto show, National Exhibition, Remembrance Day ceremony, beer garden, whatever... without seeing a compliment of EV speakers. It would seem that all the local PA rental companies use EV for public address and such. I think I've seen JBL once, and never Yorkville (with a pro company).

In fact I just saw a pair of EV SxA360's at a Christmas celebration. Does anyone else see (or use) EV a lot or is this peculiar to my region? Just wondering.

• Members

I live in New England and to be honest havent seen anyone using EV in quite awhile around here ..years ago we had a couple of big stores whose top of the line was EV. They are both gone now and no one else picked up the line. I did speak to one company in NH when I was looking to buy ...he carried EV but told me the Yorkville would be a better choice for my application.

• Members

@Visconti,

Thanks for the info.

I will watch with great interest then ;)

As an aside, in going through this thread and all the specs associated with all of these speakers being discussed, I noticed a trend and wanted to see if it is a coincidence, or meaningful.

Cheep speakers, 1" compression driver, mid range, 1.5" compression driver, high end, 2"-3" compression driver.

MEYER UPA-1 --- 3" (they also specify 3" coil, 3" driver, 1.4" exit)

RCF ART 522A --- 2" (specs 2" driver, 2.5" coil)

RCF ART 422A --- 2" (specs 2" driver, 2" coil)

QSC KW122 ----- 1.75"

FBT HI Maxx 40a 1.7"

JBL PRX612 ----- 1.5"

Yorkville NX55p - 1" (specifies 1.4" exit)

EV SxA360 ------ 1"

One might then think that the KW122 could have a smoother and better sounding mid and high range, and/or be able to go to higher volumes without becoming harsh.

If there is anything to this logic, then perhaps the RCF ART 522 is the best of all of them in the ~1000.00 price bracket?

I know there is more to things than just the driver dimensions, but surely this has something to do with it.

• Members

Since we're talking about EV.... A little side commment.

Where I live, it seems I can't go to a convention, auto show, National Exhibition, Remembrance Day ceremony, beer garden, whatever... without seeing a compliment of EV speakers. It would seem that all the local PA rental companies use EV for public address and such. I think I've seen JBL once, and never Yorkville (with a pro company).

In fact I just saw a pair of EV SxA360's at a Christmas celebration. Does anyone else see (or use) EV a lot or is this peculiar to my region? Just wondering.

Just looking at the specs (power, drivers, etc), the EV doesn't seem to be quite up to snuff with the PRX or KW's.

• Members

However, only after spending
cartier gold bracelet
tons of hours online you are able to save a sum of
cartier necklaces
, not to mention the time you spend on the gold farming tips and guides. Buy Cheap
cartier pen refill
takes you only few minutes and costs you less than $10, how long can you get that much in game?

However, after only spending learn how to write proper English one minute online reading your post Beastiality sites are the hangouts of spammers I can tell you don't belong here. :mad:

• Members

Just looking at the specs (power, drivers, etc), the EV doesn't seem to be quite up to snuff with the PRX or KW's.

Well I KNOW this is lopsided because it's a 8" vs. a 12" but the 350 watt SxA360 blows away the 1000 watt K8 in volume. (as in not even close!) Sound quality you'll just have to hear for yourself but there is certainly something ascew (is that the right word) in some of these power ratings.

• Members

Well I KNOW this is lopsided because it's a 8" vs. a 12" but the 350 watt SxA360 blows away the 1000 watt K8 in volume. (as in not even close!) Sound quality you'll just have to hear for yourself but there is certainly something ascew (is that the right word) in some of these power ratings.

Hey Bob did you end up buying some EV 360's ?

Here's the specs on some Dynacord D-lite D12A http://www.dynacord.de/en/products/7/1/1/190_d12a.html

Here's the specs. to the EV's http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=211

Anyway if you'll notice both specs. are pretty darn close to each other.

They almost look the same to. IMO the 360's seem to be a generic version of the Dynacord. Except without Dynacord's sticker shock.:eek:

• Members

I did end up buying the SxA360's. I read a lot of love for these BUT all that love was from back when they were the flavor of the day (from years back) and at almost double the price back then. Seems they didn't have a lot of competition back when they came out and the price was set quite high. Actually when I bought them (about 6 months ago) there was rumor that these were being discontinued. They were not to be found on EV's website so I was pretty sure the rumor was true. There was some hype that they were a great speaker at the "new price" (at $799) (I ended up getting them for 15% less) and it was good to get them while they were still available. I already new the sound of the SX100 and SxA100. (Sorry if I am repeating myself.) I never heard one bad thing about them other then some "concern" over the narrower than norm horn pattern which I haven't even noticed at all. (So far the rooms I play are usually deeper than they are wide)

What sold me in the end was how much fatter and fuller my acoustic low end sounded yet very articulate. Vocals were clearer too.But the sheer volume of recorded music side by side with the K8was actually close to ridiculous considering the publicized specs.

I have noticed that the "NEW" specs NOW back on the website say "Key Features: 1000 watts peak power from dual power amplifier channels each driving 500 watts into 4 ohms l Incredibly lightweight package 16.6kg (36.6lbs)" So EV disappointedly jumped on the "1000watt" bandwagon.

Thankfully their owner's manual hasn't changed. Page 7

http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/SxA360_Owners_Manual.pdf

So enough of the EV plug and sorry to the rest for the hijack. I recently sold 1 K8. I decided to keep one for triple duty around here. My 16 year old daughter loves the "new boom box" for the backyard. (It cranks compared to hers, I think it will make a great monitor for when I can't get my EV back enough so I can hear them when performing, and I intend to get a Deep Cycle battery along with my inverter mounted on a lightweight handtruck ans use the K8 as a "battery powered amp" that will really excell at "busking" (a new term for me)

btw again for the record: I think the K8 is a great sounding speaker.

• Members

We played a gig last nite in a pretty good sized hall - much different and larger than the smaller restrautant lounges we normally perform in. I must say I was really impressed with the Yorkville systems performance. We had to set up along the width of the room and I couldnt believe how you could hear everything clearly everywhere in room. There were very high ceilings and lots of wood... but I'll tell you honestly ... I'm having second thoughts about getting rid of them. They really sounded really really good.

• Members

We played a gig last nite in a pretty good sized hall - much different and larger than the smaller restrautant lounges we normally perform in. I must say I was really impressed with the Yorkville systems performance. We had to set up along the width of the room and I couldnt believe how you could hear everything clearly everywhere in room. There were very high ceilings and lots of wood... but I'll tell you honestly ... I'm having second thoughts about getting rid of them. They really sounded really really good.

I haven't heard much bad said about the NX55p and lots of good. At their worst, I believe that they would still rate in the top ranks of the powered speaker contenders.

• Members

All the more reason why you simply CAN NOT buy a different speaker without doing a side by side FIRST.

AND "IF" you (or anyone) is satisfied with your sound do NOT do side by sides because it could possibly never end. There will always be something that sounds slightly better and you can't keeping chasing that. Like someone already stated many of these speakers being discussed all sound good.

• Members

Although the NX55Ps may no longer be as good a value as they once were, given all of these new ultra "high power" powered speakers coming out, they are still excellent sounding speakers that have the biggest/deepest bottom end of any 12'' powered cab out there - which can be good in many lower volume situations. The trick to the NX55Ps is learning HOW to use them so as to get the most from them for a given application - and essentially learning how to bypass or work around the negative aspects of the built-in processing. Applying the 100hz filter or simply reducing those lower frequencies once the volume goes up will let the NX55Ps get much louder overall. They are very smooth and ear pleasing and sometimes you don't realize how loud they actually are until someone tries to talk to you and you can't hear what they are saying...I've had mine connected inthe studio for a few days now and honestly, they are great sounding and absolutely don't need any sub reinforcement at lower levels. I think if Yorkville wouldn't have been so generous with this bass boost, many people would be happier with them.

Al

• Members

The trick to the NX55Ps is learning HOW to use them so as to get the most from them for a given application - and essentially learning how to bypass or work around the negative aspects of the built-in processing. Applying the 100hz filter or simply reducing those lower frequencies once the volume goes up will let the NX55Ps get much louder overall.

Which is where my delema exists. I am pretty comfortable with the NX55p for solo/duo acoustic gigs and basement parties, but once the high pass filter is applied, I wonder how they would sound up against the competition (ie KW, PRX).

• Members

rned from GC to see if I could hear the PRX 612's with the 618s-xlf sub. They never heard of the sub and the 612's are sold out. They had a blowout sale on a Mackie 1801...not crazy about mackie though. I did listen to and was also pretty impressed with the QSC KW181 sub. That thing was kicking. Looking at the manuals for the PRX ... The sub has a botton on it for the hpf, however I dont see a hpf on the 612's. Anyone know for sure? Are you married to only being able to use a JBL sub with JBL tops? Could I use the 612's with the QSC sub? or maybe even use the 612's with my NX sub?

Archived