Yorkville NX Vs. QSC K Series

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Look at the speaker manuals, find the "unity" or nominal rated sensitivity point and run your subs above this point and your tops below this point... split the difference.

If your mixer's top LED is +5dB then you have roughly 15dB of headroom before clipping your mixer from the point that this LED lights.

• Members

Aged, The NX 55 lists Input sensitivity in the specs as +4dBv/1.23 V. is that what you are talking about? There are no markings on the volume dials of the Yorkville..just lines/bars...so no sure how to set these as you suggest. Not certain I am even giving you what you asked for, but that is the only spec that even mentions sensitivity. thanks for your help

• Members

so even if the resd light lights at 5 db I still have 15 db before it clips? Thats quite a bit isnt it? If I get into a couple of bars of yellow I have been cuting it back in fear of clipping.

The RED clip light will only light up with some pretty extreme signal from your mixer. The yellow LED lights up way before to indicate that the limiting and gradual low frequency rolloff are working to get themost sound out of the box. The more level you give the NX55P once into limiting, the less low frequency you will have out of it. I have yet to see the red LED light up on mine. If ever you do see it light up, reduce mixer levels immediately or possible damage may occur...

Al

• Members

Never saw the red light come on the NX 55...only saw the limit light once when I was using full range. It really was the mnixer I was concerned about. It seems like I raise the vol a bit and the get into the yellow light range and I was afraid I was going to damage something.

• Members

With the mixer on the NX switched off and going into the main input, the 10:00 position will be about +6dBu sensitivity before hitting the limiting on the amps. This means that your +5dBu LED on the mixer will need to flash in order to be driving your speakers to rated power. It you use the 12:00 position then the mixer's +5dB LED will flash about the same time as your speaker limits.

• Members

Went GC tonight to see if they had the 600 series... on backorder. They did have quite a few PRX 515's etc etc. When I asked how the 600 series differs the sales guy said...well for one the 500 series sucked. I know one thing they are super light. I see the 600 has more power, but anyone know what else they have done to improve? This guy went into quite a rant on how he has hated JBL for quite a few years and how he hopes this line will reddem themselves in his mind. I thought I saw that the 512's were pretty good, and overwhelmingly most here have said the JBL would be a definite step over both the K series and the NX series I currently own.

• Members

Oh GC was pushing the K series (they had boxes of them all over the place) . It really does come down to personal taste I guess. The Yorkie Dealer I bought myine from said I'm crazy and he has sold more NX55/NX720 combos to former JBL owners than anything else. A fellow soundman was at his place today and he said he uses mostly RCF ... its so so personal preference.

• Members

dacster- and to furthur reply...it is waht you are looking for... and I'm looking for the lightest, compact, best sounding system I can get for the money.

If you were only looking at those 3 variables, I would have told you to buy my Turbosound TQ445DP's. Small, 3 way, crystal clear, and can get loud as hell!

Then again, you probably forgot to include 4th dimension in that equation... Price. All things considered, when it comes down to, light/compact/best sounding/price... you usually can only get about 2.5 of those at best when speaker shopping.

• Members

If you were only looking at those 3 variables, I would have told you to buy my Turbosound TQ445DP's. Small, 3 way, crystal clear, and can get loud as hell!

Then again, you probably forgot to include 4th dimension in that equation... Price. All things considered, when it comes down to, light/compact/best sounding/price... you usually can only get about 2.5 of those at best when speaker shopping.

I think he was just looking between the two monitor options that you use.

• Members

You couldn't hear the difference yourself??? It's practically night and day.

The JBL's are EQ'ed for a big/boomy sound that will make all the DJ's go "OOOOOH AHHHHH!" The regular K's are much "thinner" sounding. The KW's are right in between, and to my ears, the best sounding speaker in that price bracket.

• Members

You couldn't hear the difference yourself??? It's practically night and day.

The JBL's are EQ'ed for a big/boomy sound that will make all the DJ's go "OOOOOH AHHHHH!" The regular K's are much "thinner" sounding. The KW's are right in between, and to my ears, the best sounding speaker in that price bracket.

I disagree.

Archived