Yorkville NX Vs. QSC K Series

• Members

Here's a good example of not grasping the big picture of what the average user hopes for. The average user NEEDS a plug and play solution, something that takes all of the guessing, hoping, connecting and manipulating of technology away from inquiring minds. Hell, the AVERAGE musician can barely hook up and use a powered mixer to full potential.

The greatest number of variables must be removed from the equation, features that would only be used by a very few get in the way of the rest of the users that just want the product to do the basic stuff but to do it well, reliably, repeatadly and easily.

Speaking of this, my cell phone company still can not deliver what it promises. The features do not work reliably, they get in the way of the sole reason I bought my cell phone... to make and receive phone calls. If I can't receive phone calls reliably, and the features get in the way of the operations, everything else sucks rocks no matter what the promises.

Engineers really need to learn when to stop {censored}ing with the product concepts and focus on making solid, reliable, easy to use, productive products. I learned from some pretty old school engineers and boy do they have some critical thoughts about what's coming out on the market these days. Far worse ranting than I do.

AMEN

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once a microcontroller gets put into a device
(that is designed by idiot engineers driven by marketing geeks)
, the device is never the same
in that it never again works reliably like it used to. There is a difference between evolution and revolution

Statement clarified to reflect the real world... ;)

• Members

Once a microcontroller gets put into a device
(that is designed by idiot engineers driven by marketing geeks)
, the device is never the same
in that it never again works reliably like it used to. There is a difference between evolution and revolution

Statement clarified to reflect the real world...
;)

LMFAO! True enough.

You have to admit that the current DSP "equalization" is setup as it is purely to make the speaker sound more "pleasing" with lows and low mids in a "guitar center" environment playing a CD.

Most experienced sound engineers would prefer a flat response and put the EQ in with .... dare I say it ... with the EQ ;)

Now imagine the new kids with their smart phones thinking how cool it would be to purchase a system that is comprised solely of powered speakers and a new app for their phone to control it. In fact, those phones have a microphone too so it could even act as an RTA ;)

Incidentally, I have already seen such an app designed to control some digital mixer. I think it was an 802.11 wireless link they were using, but the app allowed the user to do anything the mixer could do all from a wireless connection on a Droid phone.

In this specific case, I don't see the point since the mixer already has all the knobs to adjust things .... although I guess you could forgo the snake if you wanted to. What I am talking about is completely removing the mixer from the setup.

I get your point though ;) I am simply arguing that powered speakers are already headed down this road. It is just a matter of time before the idiot engineers will be driven by the marketing geeks to this end ;)

As an aside, the genius in a good design is making something very complicated easy for the end user. This usually involves more software and firmware than it does hardware in my experience.

• Members

I can tell you from my own personal experience in design; when I got my start, the engineers designed a product & stated the parametric performance, and the marketing weenies sold it. Now, those same weenies are not only defining the design targets regardless of physics, and are also the ones creating the spec sheets. "Can't hit power requirements at 0.1%THD? No prolem, state it at 10% and no one will know the difference." "Max out? Who cares if you can only reach that for 5 seconds before thermal shut down? You hit it for a moment, right? Print it"

It's funny, as an engineer, I am judged on my technical integrity. Why, when marketing controls the message anyway?!?!"

My god, it's a Dilbert cartoon come to life. :facepalm::lol:

• Members

I think most of the quality speakers DSP eq is set up for pretty flat response (or there is a switch position for flat response) in addition to any crossover HPF's and LPF's that may be included for biamping between subs and tops.

Cheapo DJ speakers may have different eq but that generally doesn't apply to the types of speakers we are talking about... JBL PRC, HPR, KW, K, NX, etc.

• Members

I think most of the quality speakers DSP eq is set up for pretty flat response (or there is a switch position for flat response) in addition to any crossover HPF's and LPF's that may be included for biamping between subs and tops.

Cheapo DJ speakers may have different eq but that generally doesn't apply to the types of speakers we are talking about... JBL PRC, HPR, KW, K, NX, etc.

The QSC in particular has push buttons for "more low" and "more high" which the only reason I can think of is that it makes the speaker audition better ..... but perhaps there are other uses ;)

• Members

The QSC in particular has push buttons for "more low" and "more high" which the only reason I can think of is that it makes the speaker audition better ..... but perhaps there are other uses
;)

Yes, at low volumes it's intended to be a "loudness compensation" to make up for the F-M curve sensitivity differences.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

As many of you here probably know I have (had) 2 NX55P's and 1 NX 720S. My issues were only being able to carry 1 sub (or 2 real small ones). I felt the 1 NX sub could not keep up with the 2 tops. I had considered buying the K10's and wanting to cut down on carry weight but they just dont cut it in my opinion. I opted for the PRX 612M's. I compared them after purchase to the NX and while they seemed brighter and more robust it wasn't it a knock me out...but they were lighter. I decided I wanted to get matching sub so I opted for the 618s-xlf. This sub is much larger than the 720s in size and weighs about 7 lbs more ...however it made all the differnce in the world to me. This one sub keeps up with the two 612's nicely and as my wife said .. makes the floor move while still providing a nice punchy bass sound. There is no doubt this sub would have also worked with the nx 55's probably as well, but i like to match em up. I sold my Yorkies to someone who will buy another 720s and have 1 sub for each top..if i could have fit it I would not have sold them..but long story short...thanks to all for the advice...JBL rocks ... and so does Yorkville Sound .... (never could warm up to that K series myself)

• Members

Heres the thing. I'm not a big bass guy by any means. When using teh 2 NX55's with the 1 NX 720 volume settinsg were as follows: (55's at 11 o'clock, 720 at 3 o'clock ... and at these settings the 720 was working hard and the light would flash - not all the time... current setup is the 612"s and the 618 arew all at 12 o'clock and everything is balanced nicely.

Can 2 720's keep up with 1 618 xlf - absolutely and 2 720's are perfect with 2 nx 55's. The 618 is a different bass sound though. I'm not a numbers guy but I know aged horse and many others here are: It goes down in frequencies lower than the 720 to my ears...the tones you really cant hear but sure as hell can feel

Archived