Yorkville NX Vs. QSC K Series

• Members

I agree. The new PRX would kill the NX as the KW. The PRX 5 series was better than the NX so.... one can imagine. The NX55 was great five years ago. There are much better speakers out there today.

I predict the NX55p will be updated in 2011.

Explain how they're "better", Better marketing? Bigger amp modules?

When I listen to the guys who have "drunk the Kool-Aid", they refer to speakers like the K-Series as "1000w" speakers. It's like they "WANT" to believe it. Show me a single speaker, in ANY category, that delivers 500w to a HF driver. It's bull{censored}, and people suck it up with glee.

Just try to find the complete specs on any of the K-Series drivers.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I heard the K10 with the KSub Vs the EON alone and although there was much more bass from the K ..it was not well defined or punchy as the NX sub.

That's also partly because the NX720 is front-loaded and the K-sub is Bandpass design.

Again; Apples to Oranges.

You want a real Yorkie vs. QSC comparison, you NEED to compare the NX's with the KW's.

And looking at your latest post, you've decided against Yorkies... so you should be A/B comparing the PRX600's with the KW's.

To my ears, the KW's sound cleaner, where the JBL's are "boomy"... your mileage may vary.

• Members

Rumosrband, it's seems to me that you have a case of G.A.S. and are intent on buying new speakers in the hopes that they will elevate your performances.

Many people have posted here that the NX55P's and the K12's are pretty much a lateral move, different but lateral. One person posted to the contrary and you've jumped on that dissenting view with great relish. Fine and dandy, it's your money.. but as I said earlier, if you're bound and determined to spend money, spend it wisely.

BTW in general, new isn't always better, new is just new sometimes.

Anyway as Bobby1Note has said, if a 12" medium level powered cab isn't working for you (except that you say it is???) then consider a different route. Maybe a two 12" cab, or the EV ZX5, Yorkville U15P, line array (kidding) and so on.

Again, my advice is to learn some new songs, learn some new riffs, or whatever, but yes I know.... that doesn't involve spending money:)

• Members

I don't car about watts to be honest. I listen to how a speaker sounds and how loud it can go while still sounding good. I owned the NX55's and now owned the K-10's. It is as simple as that. I made the upgrade for obvious reasons. I am sure someone from QSC can chime in regarding the WATS. I believe is is 250cont, 500peak but don't quote me.

• Members

I don't car about watts to be honest.
I listen to how a speaker sounds and how loud it can go while still sounding good
. I owned the NX55's and now owned the K-10's. It is as simple as that. I made the upgrade for obvious reasons. I am sure someone from QSC can chime in regarding the WATS. I believe is is 250cont, 500peak but don't quote me.

That, is something I can respect jaswrx. I just hope those K-10's sound better than the K-8's I listened to. Those things, purely from a "resolution" perspective, were dreadful when I auditioned them. The conical horns worry me a bit too. I get the impression they're more of a DJ speaker, than something that'll let "live" vocals stand out in a mix, especially over a distance.

• Members

Not really sure why some of you assume I want to spend money. I ask for opinions and for some reason get my ....busted. we learn songs every week and I turn down work ... By the way... i just called the Yorky dealer I bought my system from and has lost some carry space. he is now using two K10's with the NX720 subs and he says it sounds awesome. Pardon me for wanting light weight best sound powered speakers I can buy for the buck. The KW's are heavy ...period. I lug everything alone. Know what? - newer is better when it comes to light weight power...

• Members

True. I don't think it was a personal comment against you. You were asking for comments on two very similar cabs and we pointed out that unless you were willing to step up to the next level you are fine where you are.

It wasn't about spending money, it was about making lateral moves soundwise that would not be worth the costs vs improvement scale. It was telling you to sit tight until you really wanted to move forward.

• Members

Thats I guess what I really want to know then. what is the next logical step up from what I have while maintaining a relatively small foot print and preserving my back? Lateral is lateral, however a couple have said the PRX is a step up...some say it isnt. By the way... i dont think the NX are harsh ....but they sure aint warm sounding either. I had JBL Cabaret's ...those were warm

• Members

I can dig it. Nothing wrong with going lighter, as long as your sonic goals are met. Just remember though, your dealers' interpretation of "awesome", may differ from your own.

If I were making this move, I'd probably hang on to the Yorkies until I was completely satisfied that I made the right move. Listening to a pre-recorded music speaker-demo in a small showroom, is a helluva lot different than listening from 30-40 feet away in a noisy/crowded bar. I'd especially want to take notice of how the vocals are cutting through the mix.

I should also point out that I was completely surprised to see what the PRX600 series boxes are selling for these days. $699. almost everywhere I looked.(in the U.S.) Here in Canada, where consumers are assumed to be non-internet-using lemmings, we get to pay $949. for the same box, even though our dollar is essentially at par. That changes the perspective somewhat, don't it. Pisses me off royally, and for that reason, I choose to hang on to my cash, and they can damned well hang on to their huge mark-ups, then bitch that they don't sell as much as their U.S. counterparts,,,, Duh !!!!

• Members

Rumorsband

I owned both. Call me if you really want to get into it. I did tons of comparing with about every speaker out there. I will never own the N55's again since the K-10 is better, cheaper, lighter, better looking.... although they scratch way too easily! The NX55's are not harsh when you don't compare but once you hear better, you will think the 55p is somewhat harsh. It just breaks up in the mids too easily and runs out of juic way before I get to an optimum volume. The Mackie SRM450 v1 and v2 is still harsher though.

• Members

Bobby,

The K-10 is so much better than the K-8 is is not even funny. The k-8 sounds tinny when compared and the amount of mid bass is totally different. I did a long comparison when I got my K-10.

It wasn't the "tinny" that got to me,,, it was a sense that the two drivers were somehow dis-jointed. The cross-over point stuck out like a sore thumb. Sounded like you were listening to two different speakers at the same time.

We played with those various EQ pre-sets (DEEP/Vocal, yuck), and nothing sounded seamless nor transparent to me. Very distracting IMO, and definitely not "Hi-Fi".

Considering what they were asking for those boxes, it was a joke. ($700.+) It was after that experience that I realized just how stupid it can be, to focus strictly on "down-sizing". There is definitely a point of diminishing return.

With $700. burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be all over those PRX612m's. Complete no-brainer. That said, I prefer the "look" of the 500 series.

• Members

I also could not believe the advertsed 612's pricing. JBL is usually always a bit more then everyone else. They are also using the same type of amplification as the QSC in this series. ...maybe they were getting their arses kicked and decided to lower the price and compete. $699 is what the K10's are going for, and the guy I bought the NX from says he has a DJ that will buy my used ones for $700 each on the spot.

• Members

I also could not believe the advertsed 612's pricing. JBL is usually always a bit more then everyone else. They are also using the same type of amplification as the QSC in this series. ...maybe they were getting their arses kicked and decided to lower the price and compete. $699 is what the K10's are going for, and the guy I bought the NX from says he has a DJ that will buy my used ones for $700 each on the spot.

It's very simple, really. It's about "business". A brief and by no means complete recap of recent powered speaker history ...

JBL was top dog for quite a long time. Since the release of the original EON's 10+ years ago, Mackie was really the only competitor in the consumer powered speaker segment. Sure, RCF and EV were around too, but if you're looking at strictly market-share, JBL was king.

Then all of a sudden, around 2005, QSC comes along with the HPR series and blows away everyone with their price-point & quality. Quickly, they eat into a ton of JBL's market share. Not to be outdone, soon JBL releases the PRX5's and holds on to many of it's faithful.

2008 rolls around, and QSC releases the "K" series and has a brilliant marketing team that advertises... "1000 WATTS!" Most people don't look at the fine print and see that its split 500/500 lo/hi, and dont realize theres NO way the hi-cone can deliver that... but whatever, "OMG! ITS A THOUSAND WATTS!"... someone could come out with a 1200w active cab, but in your head... saying THOUSAND sounds better than hundred. QSC has another smash hit on their hands with the K series and takes another huge bite into the market share of JBL in the active speaker market.

Late 2009... Mackie introduces the "HD" series. Again, going with the marketing buzzword "HD" to hopefully attract buyers.

2010... QSC releases the KW's, a hybrid between the lightweight K's and the warm sounding HPR's. JBL releases the PRX6's and slashes prices well under QSC's to compete head-on.

2011... who knows... maybe we'll see some pseudo, entry level line-array boxes in the QSC KW / JBL PRX line. Mackie already has one in their HD line.

• Members
Not really sure why some of you assume I want to spend money. I ask for opinions and for some reason get my ....busted. we learn songs every week and I turn down work ... By the way... i just called the Yorky dealer I bought my system from and has lost some carry space. he is now using two K10's with the NX720 subs and he says it sounds awesome. Pardon me for wanting light weight best sound powered speakers I can buy for the buck. The KW's are heavy ...period. I lug everything alone. Know what? - newer is better when it comes to light weight power...

Hmmm did I come off a little harsh, maybe, I dunno - certainly not trying to but stuff happens.

Maybe I'm leary of lateral G.A.S. because of my personal G.A.S. history. I was playing in top 40/original bands in the 80's and 90's. Back then every guitar player and keyboard player around my parts were chasing their tails, trying to buy more, better and newer gear.

The "lies" we told each other to justify the silliness were incredible. I had five or six different guitar rigs during those days and spent tens of thousands of dollars. Yet for the life of me, when I hear a live tape/cd of my former bands, I can barely tell if I was using my Mesa Boogie rig, my Marshall rig, my Fender rig, my Rat pedal, my..... you get the picture.

And let's not even talk about my PA purchases over the years!

It was just my feeling (perhaps incorrect) that you had wanted to make a speaker switch no matter what anyone suggested. If there was even a shred of truth to that, then I was hoping you could move way up in line, not just two or three spaces.

But ultimately it's whatever makes you happy.

I'm still trying to cure my own G.A.S. - just bought two used Yorkville E354's and a couple of mics - it was a deal I "couldn't pass up".

Gotta go and hide my bank and credit cards where I can't find 'em :)

• Members

if I had to do it again, I would highly consider the new PRX's. Btw, it is definitely a good idea to keep the Yorkville's until you are sure that your "upgrade" was worth the investment. I kept my Yorkville NX55's for about one month before I said, I just do not need these anymore. I got all excited about setting them up for new gigs because I prefer the sound over the Yorkvile. it made me appear better and I was more confident that I could go a little louder volume wise. I never had compliments about my speakers until I used the K-10's.

• Members

I think deep down I've always wanted to keep on moving on with JBL. As posted I've owned every EON system since it's inception. I did not buy the PRX 512'sseries because I had heard some highly negatives on frequent repairs etc and heard they were being replaced but were not available at the time I needed speakers. Anyway, I can only carry 1 sub. There is the 618S (600 watts?)and then the 618S -XLF (I think which is 1000 watts compared to There is also the 718s that is 750 watts. What 1 sub would you suggest to go along with 2 612's? Do I need the 1000 watts? Maybe the 718 I can find used...etc etc. I really need the big bottom when we do Sinatra... and Gaga too.

• Members

I've had MPro 400 series tops and subs for some years now and they sound great. I set this up with QSC 3402's and have had plenty of power. This was all for a band hoping to do the Corporate Party circuit. Well, things never panned out for the band thing so I decided to go the Acoustic route. (Solo but prefer Duo). I wanted to go light and portable. I bought a pair of K8's that I thought sounded good. I didn't hear the K10 (this store only had the 8's and 12's) but I did compare to a few other lightweight speakers. The K8's were very smooth sounding and clear so I bought them.
When I played a decent size room with some depth, I got to hear them when another solo guitar/vocalist performed. I was NOT impressed with the sound in the back of the room. I realized these speakers didn't have a good throw and started reading more about the wide pattern and the "conical" design. I decided to try a pair of EV SxA360's. My original intent was to go for 12's but the weight and sound of the K8's were impressed for such a small box. I knew NOTHING about powered speakers but knew I didn't like the Eons, heard so much disatisfaction with Mackie, and heard about problems with the PRX500 series and people questioning whether that got fixed in the 600 series. Also the SxA360 came WAY down in price and I knew the Sx100 and SxA100 and the sound.

I am very happy with the SxA360 but I am wishing I had given the PRX600 a shot. Maybe someday. :cop:

Just ran across this review and thought it might be of interest:
http://www.joshuavanaalst.com/articles/2-reviews/13-qsc-kw-series-jbl-prx-612-m-yamaha-dsr-112-review.html

• Members

This is a great thread. I think both speakers are excellent value for their applications. I've used both K-10's and NX55p and a near field monitor and I can attest to the previous poster, the K-10's are more rounded, smoother sound for a near field appliciation. Great for an mp3 player or monitoring a balanced signal like keyboards... not so sure about amplifying an entire band.

I'm a HUGE Yorkie fan. Not a soundguy at all but I do manage our sound gear for our band. For more than 5 years we've been using Ef500P's (pair with LS800P subs) and these things are Sherman tanks. They throw sound for miles. The drawback is a very narrow speaker field. Some venues we play are wide and not deep, and we need a better spread. Initially I've been looking at buying a pair of K12's for centerfills b/c of price and some of their nifty features (I like being able to raise them high and angle them down on poles... almost like being flown). The NX series wasn't really a consideration, until this thread.

• Members

I own 2 NX55P + 2 LS720P Subs. I use them for FOH duty for a 5 piece band for gigs up to 200 people. The combo sounds great. I have to set the NX55P at 12:00 and the LS720 at 2pm to get a good overall output match.

I also own the QSC K10's which serve as monitor duty and in case I blow a top. They sound great.

Here's my opinion:
Both are excellent boxes and will do the job, allthough I find the QSC K10 is a better box in the monitoring position(on the floor). When used with subs for FOH duty, going from the NX55P to the K10 is a laterall move. The QSC does not kill the NX55P or vice versa, I would be skeptical of any such claims.:blah:

I do like that the K10 is smaller and lighter.

Archived