i'm so happy about my gibson les paul custom

mbengs1

• Members

Pardon my ignorance but isn't the 81/85 set active? There would be way more involved than just swapping pickups and the mod wouldn't be readily reversible.

Bingo. It would be an invasive procedure. I don't know if you have to put in a battery compartment, but all of the guitars with EMGs I played had a plastic part that would require cutting a small chunk of the wood out.

It's his guitar, so it's his mistake to make.

• Members

Actually, there's enough room in the electronic cavity to fit a 9 volt. A covered in tape 9 volt. And you need a different jack, and remove the ground from the strings. All reversible, but....

Seriously, you take 2 similar guitars, same scale length, same woods or so, Say a... I don't know, a Paul custom, and an Epiphone, and shove a set of EMG's in them, I doubt you could tell them apart from the "tone". But hey, why should I care what someone does to their "beloved" guitar. Go ahead, cover them in stickers, chicken feathers, lava from a volcano erupting at midnight during the new moon.... whatever makes you happy. Just don't expect others to support your possibly stupid decisions.

• Members
I'm calling bull on you wanting to put stickers all over a $4000 guitar. Methinks you're just trolling...

I'm torn between him being an elaborate troll or a moron. He is indeed posting under his real name, that's his real face in his avatar, and it appears he actually lives in the Philippines. Either he's incredibly audacious, or he's that stupid.

• Members

While I can understand sentiment over stickers on a $4000 guitar, and the potential for this to be a troll thread, I do have to ask - since when are EMGs Not considered Pro Gear? Awful lot of pros using them. Just saying. And with the Power Pedal eliminating the need for a battery box, it's no more an invasive mod than a general pup and pot swap, solder less even.

• Members

Name more than one pro using the Motherbucker. (Matthew Bellamy is the only one I know of) Dragonfires? Can't think of one pro using those. I'll give you the MegaDrive, though it's a Custom Shop item, same as the Duncan El Diablo.

On the other hand though, how many pros use EMGs? They have more traditional pickups now, the 57/66 set, etc..

• Members
While I can understand sentiment over stickers on a $4000 guitar' date=' and the potential for this to be a troll thread, I do have to ask - since when are EMGs Not considered Pro Gear? Awful lot of pros using them. Just saying. And with the Power Pedal eliminating the need for a battery box, it's no more an invasive mod than a general pup and pot swap, solder less even.[/quote']

Because this dude started thread after thread asking all manner of stupid questions, and usually incorporated that he owned a Les Paul Custom that he didn't play because he was worried about wearing out the frets. He'd go on to talk about his JEM and cheap Ibanezs, and he rarely responded to these threads. They were nebulous thoughts he shared like this was his Twitter account.

So, now he's decided to not only put EMGs in the Custom that he supposedly doesn't play along with stickers. I mean, it's his guitar. He can do what he wants. That doesn't mean some of us won't shake our heads at his constantly misguided attempts to seem cool or be smart.

• Members

At the risk of a fraught comparison, Clarence White put a couple of stickers on his old Tele. That guitar has to be worth 60k today.

LPC's are a bit heavy, OP might consider using a band saw and router on the back for custom weight relief. Gene Parsons did that to install Clarence's B-bender. It didn't reduce the value one whit, even w/the stickers.

• Members
At the risk of a fraught comparison, Clarence White put a couple of stickers on his old Tele. That guitar has to be worth 60k today.

LPC's are a bit heavy, OP might consider using a band saw and router on the back for custom weight relief. Gene Parsons did that to install Clarence's B-bender. It didn't reduce the value one whit, even w/the stickers.

OP isn't a famous guitarist who helped invent a device like the B-Bender.

• Members

I'll believe it when I see the pictures (or clips).

And as far as putting active pickups in a Lester, why not go all the way? Here is a Flying Vee getting an EMG and a Sustainiac, first a bit of routing

IMG_3111_zpsi2dzvtoo.jpg

a bunch of stuff gets stuffed in the hole

IMG_3197_zpssauwtxuk.jpg

(the black box is the battery compartment for two 9 volts).

IMG_3198_zpsewsoqzz3.jpg

IMG_3200_zps99xnmcbs.jpg

With Mbeng's love of metal noise, that would be the perfect pickup - come'on Mbeng, old boy, do it!

• Members
If the OP wants stickers on his guitar he'd fit right in with the Zac Brown Band:

fetch?filedataid=126527

That's a nice Taylor under all the stickers.

Zac plays that classical guitar with a pic, so there some serious wear on the body. Kind of like Willie Nelson Trigger guitar.

I don't mind some Zac Brown.

I don't have any of there cd's

[video=youtube;Sk5TsrmgEj4]

Archived