Recommend a DAW for me

gardo

• Members

I have no illusions of creating a musical masterpiece in my basement. I doubt any one but me will even listen to what I record. It's more of a learning and practice tool.so I don't see the need for putting extra time and money into something that will only make life more complicated and distract me from my real goals. I guess it's not about a form of expression but rather a tool to help take me there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Audacity sounds like the right tool for your application. Hard to argue with free and you can always migrate to a more fully featured tool later if you need more.

Even though Studio One is a good interface it's a pro system so has a ton of features that can be overwhelming.

• Members

cubase 9 is now been designed for the 1 screen user but that probably means a widescreen. i still use it on 2 screens ,mixer on one screen edit and workspace on the other ,£450 but has every bell and whistle imaginable.very enjoyable .and considering £450 would have only bought you a 1/2 decent 4 track pre digital daw days, it is great value .with limitless tracks and every thing built inside to mix and master a song

• Members
Got a new lap top and need a DAW, I had Audacity on my old PC and was able to do some basic recording and minor editing. I have technophobia so please try to keep it easy to use ,and also inexpensive. I used Audacity because it was free but trying to find a way to download it with out a lot of garbage was a problem, I record for personal use;jam tracks and samples for ealuation mostly'

Thanks for any help you can offer

I use Logic but I'm on a Mac. Logic has come a long way to the previous commenters.

However, for PC, I'd be using Cubase but if you don't program drums, reaper may be the way to go. You can still program drums on reaper but Cubase has some cool features.

One of the main reasons I use a Mac is because of Logic, the plug ins are outstanding and it pretty much pays for its self. I do not know if there is a PC equiv that comes with that many plug ins, including virtual instruments at that quality. Especially at 399... or 299 I can't remember which it was.

From the previous comments it sounds like you are brand new, therefore needing an interface. I would say buy an interface with a DAW. It may not be the full fledged version but starting out you won't need the full version. The lite versions can do most anything you're gonna want to do.

I use Focusrite. However, if you want to go portable and are in need of a field recorder, the Zoom h6 or Zoom h5 doubles as an interface and field recorder, it has nice pre amps, it comes with Cubase LE.

Pro Tools also has a totally free version of Pro tools. It also will probably do whatever you're wanting to do at this point. It's totally free, you just go download it.

http://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first

There is the link for Pro Tools free. Then you can update to Pro Tools if you like Pro Tools. It won't come with a lot of plug ins but there are a lot of free ones out there. Reaper is free to try and not expensive to buy.

All you really need starting out is a good compressor plug in, EQ (which all of them will have,) some midi instruments if you want to program drums, bass, piano, synth, etc.

For guitar, if you want to track direct but then go back later and use an amp there are lots of free plug ins for guitar. I use Amplitube 4, which isn't free however it's a really good plug in. You can get it packed in with an interface as well if you get an IKMultimedia interface. Those are also good for portability.

For 90 bucks you should be able to get a Guitar Rig Pro with Amplitube 4. A duo from Ik multi media will do two mics or two guitars at the same time, plus midi.

And if you're just wanting to track guitars for writing, the standalone Amplitube 4 is really nice. You can write with that, as it's easier than loading up a DAW and then when you got a song you can import it into a DAW. That is how I write all of my songs, except for acoustic songs in which I use a Rode I-XY and Rode Rec or Garageband on the iPad or iPhone.

• Members
I started using Audacity in 2008 and haven't looked into other programs. I see no reason to change.

Just curious as to why you use Audacity now that Pro Tools has a free version? I know Audacity is basic and so is the free Pro Tools but it seems like Pro tools would make you future proofed and you could work with others easier. I know a lot of people aren't aware of the free Pro Tools.

Free pro tools comes with a decent Synth as well. 16 tracks of audio, 16 tracks of midi. Got some good basic plug ins. 25 of them.

But I haven't looked at Audacity since like 2008 so maybe it's gotten more advanced since then.

• Members

You don't have to be stuck with only using one DAW program. You can load several programs and run any of them you want till you find one that suits you.

Keep in mind many requires ilok which is a USB key for Licensing. Even the Free version of Pro Tool Bluescomo5050 mentioned requires an iLok USB thumb Drive and registration before the program will work.

Just curious as to why you use Audacity now that Pro Tools has a free version? I know Audacity is basic and so is the free Pro Tools but it seems like Pro tools would make you future proofed and you could work with others easier. I know a lot of people aren't aware of the free Pro Tools.

Free pro tools comes with a decent Synth as well. 16 tracks of audio, 16 tracks of midi. Got some good basic plug ins. 25 of them.

But I haven't looked at Audacity since like 2008 so maybe it's gotten more advanced since then.

I had forgotten all about that.

I have not messed around with the "free" version, but that's certainly worth a try. Nice thing about going this route is that your tracks should be easily transferable to other PT-based studios, which could be handy if you collaborate with others or want to take those tracks to a commercial studio for additional work. You can always get the tracks themselves from one program and load them into another, but that tends to have rather severe limitations on everything else - all fader moves, plugins, etc. will be lost in that transfer.

http://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first

• Members

I found Pro Tools to be one of the hardest DAW packages to learn. It's vastly flexible and designed for professionals. It also seems to demand a LOT of computer processing grunt.

It may have changed, but that's why I use Studio One.

• Members

Well, Pro Tools would be free for me if I really wanted it too, because I'm all for piracy. However, I hate change. I'm a man of habit. I don't work with other musicians much, either.

BTW, Audacity changed a lot since 2008 in terms of features. That's been almost a decade ago, bro.

• Members
All for piracy? How do you justify that?

Because I can be. If I like something enough, I buy it. My house is overrun with books, DVDs, Blurays, CDs, and vinyl. I give my music away for free for that very reason. Music and art is for the people. That's why I have a day job.

• Members
For the people that make the software this is their day job. Doesn't seem right to steal their products even if you're giving away what you make with it. I'm not trying to change your behaviour, just to understand piracy and the underlying justifications better.

I don't record my music on pirated software, bud. I use Audacity.

Gardo, do you know of a way to replicate holding a book in your hand and feeling the pages as you read? Is there a way to experience vinyl album popping on your turntable while you hold the album sleeve? Can I download WAV files for a specific album that I love without ripping the CD? Can I enjoy my favorite films' director commentaries and special features with torrents? These are all rhetorical questions, by the way.

Neil Young said piracy is like the new radio. People are tired of industry and corporations. If you work, you know the meaning of a dollar. Minimum wage in GA is $7.25. If a CD is $20, and you make minimum wage, that's several hours of your life poured down the drain for what could really suck. Why bother buying a CD when you can buy more food? $20 is a lot of ramen noodles. Downloading an album or movie isn't the same as stealing a physical copy from a store, either. If you buy a DVD from Walmart, you're supporting a pretty messed up corporation, their employees who they treat like crap, and what's left goes to the film companies, actors, and directors who are well off as it is.

• Members

Why should I buy food,I can just walk into the fields and help myself. No one will miss a few apples or a little corn will they. Maybe grab a chicken or two while I'm at it,whose to say a fox didn't get them The farmer has a big house,he doesn't need the money and the stores are overcharging for food and treating their employee's badly.. Bypass the system. ,be a pirate.

• Members

I guess I don't get it. I don't know the difference between robbing and stealing

Some people believe in what they call Karma ,have a different name for it but the result is the same,what goes around comes around

• Members

You don't know the difference between sitting at a computer and taking food from a field? You don't comprehend how taking food from farmer's personal property doesn't equate downloading music? What about taping music off the radio? How about watching a Youtube music video with Adblock? Do those equate to stealing food from a store?

I'm not going to lose sleep over you thinking karma is going to get me. I don't like you, Gardo, and you don't like me. Your logic doesn't make sense to me, and I know mine doesn't make sense to you. That's fine by me. I'll keep doing what I do, and you keep doing what you do. Have a good one.

• Members

^^^ Sorry that's a lame excuse to justify acts of moral bankruptcy.

Just because you can do something and get away with it doesn't mean its right or acceptable by your peers. I cant condone behavior of those who destroys the music industry I've worked in for over 50 years. I don't care what your justifications are, they are ALL lame and ALL based in immoral behavior that cant be trusted by others working in the industry. Doesn't matter if you're in a studio or working the stages, a person who condones or commits theft cant be trusted by their fellow musicians.

I don't care what a person tells themselves to ease their conscious or if they even have a conscious. You steal from other musicians you don't belong in their circles. Doesn't matter if its a $.99 cent song or a piece of obsolete software. It hurts someone's ability to earn a living in music and are not friends to working musicians.

I rate pirates lower then the musicians who have stolen gear from me in the past. At least they had the balls to risk being shot dead when they break and enter. Pirates are sneak thief's and bottom feeders of the lowest lifeform because they blanket themselves with lame excuses to why its OK. Most professional Musicians are noble people. They tolerate other musicians learning to play their songs and even play them out, but that's where it ends. You honor them when you play their music. That's not the same thing as robbing them of their income. When a person steals an artists music instead of buying it they deserve to wander in the wilderness and be cursed by others ten fold.

• Members
Sorry I started this - wasn't my intention and I have nothing against you. I like you.

Given my wife and my occupations, stealing software is like walking into my house and taking food off the table so I'm too close to it. :)

I'm usually only concerned with media piracy rather than software piracy since I find cracked software isn't as reliable as actually purchasing it. I use Audacity because it's free and I like it. If I had a million bucks, I'd still probably use it. But, if I had the money to purchase anything I wanted, I wouldn't pirate anything.

But I wasn't in here for an argument either. I try to remain respectful of others here, and arguing annoys me because it's usually a deadend. People believe what they want and we generally don't change their minds.

I can't help but laugh at WKRP, though. He's a poster child for Dunning Kruger.

Also, I'm sincerely sorry if piracy affects your industry. I have trouble believing it affects most of the entertainment industry, especially with new films like Star Wars breaking records and what not, but I don't doubt it hurts someone down the line. I don't know any homeless musicians who lost their livelihood through piracy, but I wouldn't wish you any harm.

Archived