Recommend a DAW for me

gardo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cant help you if you're incapable of seeing the bigger picture. I would have hoped you realize if the millions who have your attitude that have destroyed the music business making it unprofitable for musicians to earn a living. I realize its a hopeless cause to enlighten individuals who approve of piracy, but all I can say is if you plan on having a professional career in the industry you wont find many friends.

• Members

Destroyed the music industry? Don't blame piracy for your decline in income from music. How many people pirate your music? None, I'm willing to bet.

And what if I told you that I have no interest in playing music for profit? What if I told you I have friends who are professional musicians who have pirated music, movies, and video games?

You're getting worked up over something that doesn't affect you. Most musicians I admire either don't mind piracy or encourage it.

Well, Pro Tools would be free for me if I really wanted it too, because I'm all for piracy.

For the record, HC is very anti-piracy. We believe that all creative people deserve to be fairly compensated for their work, so we're very pro-creative rights / copyright.

That's why we ask that no one post links to warez sites and so forth.

Most musicians I admire either don't mind piracy or encourage it.

Many bands do encourage people to share their music with others - often in the hope of gaining / increasing a fan base. However, it still remains illegal to share the music of those bands if they are under contract to a label, since the copyrights to those recordings are almost invariably owned by the label and not the band.

• Members

For the record, HC is very anti-piracy. We believe that all creative people deserve to be fairly compensated for their work, so we're very pro-creative rights / copyright.

That's why we ask that no one post links to warez sites and so forth.

Okay. I also believe creative people deserve compensation. That's why I buy their physical products. But I also support people who can't afford those products to enjoy them anyway. I guess that makes me a bad person. Oh well.

Many bands do encourage people to share their music with others - often in the hope of gaining / increasing a fan base. However, it still remains illegal to share the music of those bands if they are under contract to a label, since the copyrights to those recordings are almost invariably owned by the label and not the band.

That must make those bands bad people for not supporting their own labels. Neil Young, Radiohead, NIN, Henry Rollins, Jack White, Lady Gaga, Norah Jones, Dave Grohl, amongst so many other well known musicians aren't against piracy, so that must mean they're bad too.

Yeah, it's illegal. So is jaywalking, breaking the speed limit, and anything but the missionary position in some states (Yep, that law is still in the books in Georgia). I'm not going to change your mind anymore than you'll change mine.

So you guys keep shaking your fingers at me. I'm going to go read a book that I bought with the money I earned.

• Members

My house is overrun with books, DVDs, Blurays, CDs, and vinyl. I give my music away for free for that very reason. Music and art is for the people. That's why I have a day job.

is that why you give your "music" away for free? ...has anyone ever offered to pay for your "music"?

• Members

is that why you give your "music" away for free? ...has anyone ever offered to pay for your "music"?

Yes, they have. If you don't like my "music," as I surmise from your tone and quotations, that's fine. I don't make it for you. I make it because it's my passion. Anyone who cares to listen to it is very welcome to do so. I have never passed myself off as a genius or even talented. I just like playing music, and I don't expect a dime for it.

• Members

Yes, they have. If you don't like my "music," as I surmise from your tone and quotations, that's fine. I don't make it for you. I make it because it's my passion. Anyone who cares to listen to it is very welcome to do so. I have never passed myself off as a genius or even talented. I just like playing music, and I don't expect a dime for it.

it's all well and good to bang on about giving your music away... art for art's sake etc... all as part of an argument to justify outright theft..... but to me, unless you actually have an opportunity to make money from your music... it doesn't mean much

and my guess is, if you put your 45 albums (or however many it is these days) up for sale... you'd be hardly giving up that job of yours

people who design software etc deserve to be paid for it... stealing is stealing... no matter what convenient spin you put on it

sorry if i seem rough... but your whole "the reason i give my music away is because art for the people etc" point just sounds like a load of bollocks to me

Archived