Les Paul tops

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been tempted to switch the P100's over to Mini Humbuckers like my 70's Deluxe had, but since I have other guitars with P90's and Mini's I figured I'd just leave it stock. It does have a unique tone the others cant get and I have plenty of other instrument I can pick up if I need those tones.

• Members

Yea they're height adjustment screws. They're a bit finicky to adjust too. Because they are close to the center, when you adjust one side down, the other side tends to go up a bit like a sea saw.

That ones nice but I still like the gold hardware. Its too bad gold doesn't last longer. They can look ratty in half the time of chrome. I've already changed out my Bridge and Tail already. I'm about due for another bridge too. I'm on my third set of tuners too.

The Tuners look like vintage Klusons but they actually have threaded bushings. The backs were riveted on and one bump on the tuner pops the rivet and the tuners toast. I found a set of Gotoh replacements that were an exact match. So far they seem to be holding up better. I wish they made something with a higher gear ratio, especially for a Gibson scale which is shorter. I prefer 18:1 or 20:1 because I can get them more finely tuned with less twiddeling.

• Members
I've always liked red Les Pauls. There was a late 70s wine red Deluxe in the first music store I worked in that I really wanted… but I ended up with a Firebrand instead.

:philpalm:

say it isn't so,

I bought a 76 strat usd from a guy in town here, he took the 300 dollars I gave him and bought at LP firebrand.

I still have the strat.:hairphil:

:philpalm:

say it isn't so,

I bought a 76 strat usd from a guy in town here, he took the 300 dollars I gave him and bought at LP firebrand.

I still have the strat.:hairphil:

I was young and on a really tight budget. It was actually a pretty cool guitar, but I traded it for a Fender. A friend spotted it in a store in Orange County (he could tell it was mine from a sticker I had on it) a couple of years back, but when he went back the next time, it was gone.

• Members

I was young and on a really tight budget. It was actually a pretty cool guitar, but I traded it for a Fender. A friend spotted it in a store in Orange County (he could tell it was mine from a sticker I had on it) a couple of years back, but when he went back the next time, it was gone.

After I graduated from HS, my uncle got me a job working for a construction company . That was in 1980, and after the summer was over I have like gobs of money. I bought a new SG standard that year and the used 76 strat. In 82 I bought my first real Les Paul Standard.

The cool thing is I still have all of guitars and many others would follow.

The Les Paul back in 1982 cost over 500 bucks, which was a lot of money back then. I ordered if from a local dealer in my home town that sold Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, Marshall, Ampeg gear out of his 2 car garage. He was a go to man for American made music gear in the area.

Anything I sold I really didn't want. I'm a bit select at what I buy and sell.

After I graduated from HS, my uncle got me a job working for a construction company . That was in 1980, and after the summer was over I have like gobs of money. I bought a new SG standard that year and the used 76 strat. In 82 I bought my first real Les Paul Standard.

The cool thing is I still have all of guitars and many others would follow.

The Les Paul back in 1982 cost over 500 bucks, which was a lot of money back then. I ordered if from a local dealer in my home town that sold Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, Marshall, Ampeg gear out of his 2 car garage. He was a go to man for American made music gear in the area.

Anything I sold I really didn't want. I'm a bit select at what I buy and sell.

We're probably right about the same age, and I have to tell you, it's embarrassing how many guitars and how much gear in general I've gone through. :0 That Firebrand was a classic example. I really do wish I still had it - mainly for sentimental reasons - but as I said, I traded it for a Fender because I went from playing in a rock band to a country-rock band and thought I needed to go with single coils. I used to do that a lot - get something kind of like what I wanted (something I could talk myself into "making do" with - like getting the Firebrand instead of the Deluxe), or trade something I had in on something I thought I needed instead.

You blow through a lot of gear - not to mention a lot of money - that way. Eventually I wised up. :lol: Now I get what I really want right from the start - even if it means I have to save up a bit to get it. And I hardly ever sell gear. I still give some away from time to time to friends, family and other deserving souls, but I won't trade in something to get something else. It makes a lot more sense to be selective. :)

The one upside is that I've had a lot of experience with a lot of different gear - and that has been helpful in terms of doing gear reviews.

• Members

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek because of the Les Paul / Singlecut lawsuit where PRS said they were insulted by the comparison. It's obvious that PRS built on some already proven designs. I always wanted to combine a Leas Paul and a Strat but Paul actually did it and it works extremely well.

I do believe, however, that PRS has become a major influence in guitar building and marketing. Some of their 'upgrades' to traditional design have been adopted by the companies that 'own' the traditional designs.

• Members
Some years back we had a very epic thread about a blacktop Les Paul...many of you will remember ;)

Gibson have been make some boldish decisions lately about some of their top colour, both solid and transparent over figure.

I'm a lifelong fan of the cherry red 335, but I'd love to see a 335 with a cherry top and and a nice caramel back.

Wine red is another one I like, but they generally tend to be the same on the back....so I did a bit of digging around, and aftre cleaning up with a box of strong tissues thought I'd throw this out there.

15767_57_Les_Paul_Candy_Apple_Red_72919_1.jpg

I could definitely give that guitar a cuddle. :thu:

The side and back color remind me of this Classic I bought a while ago.

(Finally I got an LP with coil split with this one - and they sound good split - yay!]

140105563-angle-large_zpse9e0a6d0.jpg

And I agree that when they are all wine red, they sort of lose some of the potential to make that color look a bit more stunning. But even with binding, this would probably look better. I bought this one when Gibby was blowing out their first run of Robo's. Hmmm, this reminds me, I've got a spare LP Custom B/W/B/W/B pickguard kicking around I should see if it woud work on this critter for a hair more visual vibe. (would be better if I had an angle pic, but this is all I have in the can at the moment)

newguitarday001-1.jpg

• Members

I was on the 'upgrade' path for a quite a while when I started out. My first decent electric guitar had a 'Mansfield' name on it and it was a Goldtop Les Paul copy - I really learned a lot with that guitar. When I was in college I had a summer job and walked into a music store where the guy sold me a 'real' Gibson. It was the early '70s and Gibson had come out with a line of really awful cheap SGs. After struggling with the SG for a while and seeing a movie about Jimi Hendrix I decided to get a Stratocaster.

Every step of the way, my current guitar became expendable in the quest to upgrade. I was a victim of brand name marketing and only found out years later that Mansfield was a name an importer was putting on Ibanez guitars. The Goldtop I had in high school was actually a pre-lawsuit Ibanez and I couldn't wait to trade it for a second rate SG.

When I met my wife, she wouldn't let me trade my '68 335 for a really nice Yamaha MSG/Image solidbody. She knew I really liked the Yamaha so, in an effort to save the 335, she took it back to the store and started making payments on the Yamaha. I don't know if she cured me of GAS or made it worse because now I have lots of guitars.

• Members

Ooh man, I can take just about any color besides light pastels. Fender was into those allot. A sea green Gibson is like Fingernails on a chalkboard to me, it makes my eyes bleed to look at it.

Of course that's just my taste. I've had bad luck with Green items. I was about 3 years old and got into my dads paint can and decided to paint some lawn furniture and the cat in that color. It followed me around too cause I had two major accidents in green cars. I figure I better not push my luck and just stick to dealing with green cash and make sure I didn't hang onto it too long. That seemed to work out pretty good considering I spend extra cash on gear all the time.

I'm sure its a great guitar though.

• Members

Thanks Ratae!

And regarding W's comment, if I were only to have 1 LP, I'd agree that Seafoam Green would be a ways away from my top choice, but I like the way this one stands out. It's a happy LP that tries not to take itself too seriously. LOL ;^) But I've bought and still have plenty of golds (3), red, amber flamed, ice tea flamed, vintage burst, black/ebony (4), faded HC burst, Natural Mahogany, Vintage Mahogany, Midnight, Autumn Burst and an Alpine White; one for my son, so what was left? Seafoam! :-)

But yeah, stay away from green if it brings you that much bad mojo. Although, I've also found the Inverness Green to fire up my GAS jets too.

• Members

My buddy had an early 60's Paul with a quilted pink. I don't think it came that way and was likely somebody's refinish job. It sounded good and all. I used to do his fret work for him on that one and other then the color, it was a real player. He liked it so who am I to say what colors are good for someone.

Blues and purples are my favorites either, but I'm actually building a guitar with a body made of Purple Heart. If it does show off its purple color as it should I'll just have to learn to like it. At least its a natural color.

• Moderators

There's always room in the world for difference, and a LP with a maple fretboard comes high on the validity scale.

Bursts eh? We all love em, but owning one is hard, cause if you look, within a day or two you'll find one with a subtle difference that you prefer to yours...ie, it's that search for the perfect burst, three times I thought I had the one, only to start drooling over another. It's why I love me Goldies

• Members

i'm not into bursts at all, to me 3 tone sunburst is the worst, altough some burst lp look great.

but i love wood, and any see through color to a nice wood grain is always great....

this lp is special, a half year before the purchase i saw the exact same guitar as righty, and thought they never made any lefty of this. ebay proofed me wrong and i had to pull the trigger on this. since this purchase (almost over 11 years ago now) my initial GAS for a black lp custom never reapeared :D

Archived