Les Paul tops

• Members

Gas Man - I love that LP! I bet it's even nicer to look at in person. I had a green solid maple body Ibanez (RX model I think)and it was sweet. It was a lot darker green but the grain looked great thru it.

I am not a huge burst/flame/quilt fan unless it's with certain colors but I prefer plain tops. I honestly do not like the bright clown bursts. I don't like Strats with it at all. I do like those 2 tone LP with a nice solid color top and light back,to me it makes the top pop. I remember that thread,may still be in my subscritions.

Got this one a couple days ago,burst is light on it which is the way I prefer them :)

LP7_zpspgumdvwy.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
This is my 40th anniversary model I bought new back in 1991. There were only 300 made and its value has already doubled.

Its a semi translucent ebony black finish and has an ebony fret board Its a heavy MF**R at 11lbs too.

Black is a very difficult color to keep clean. Any finger smudges show up when light is reflected off it and black doesn't age as well as other colors do. I had enough money to buy just about any guitar I wanted. I really wanted a Firebird but the new ones I tried were junk. I tried a bunch of Paul's, Customs, Standards. This one had the best wood tone when I put my ear to the body. It does look sweet with the cream and gold though.

DSCN5005.jpg

This color combo is inspiring me, love it! White pickups on the black looks great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Call me weird, but I like the top and back to be more balanced in color. You can't see much of it here, but the back color on my Les Paul closely matches the burst edge. On my Carvin, it's a blue burst with a black edge joining a black back. I do however love the Jackson Phil Collen model with the light wood back and the brightly colored quilt top.

32232b4e38cac5d42df981e682f47089.jpg.58ff0490d59f94712dcf2d537baad858.jpg

• Members
Those are both very nice! :philthumb:

I like the Deluxe - it reminds me of one my friend used to own. Did the black one come with three pickups? Most of the triple-pup Pauls I see are Customs.

The black one is a stock Gibson Les Paul Classic. Bought it from a friend, who got it from Sam Ash Store. Only limited years they built these though. The Deluxe is a anniversary model. Also purchased from my same friend.

• Members
Now that I've cleaned up and changed my drawers after seeing all those beautiful Les Pauls, I humbly submit my Gould Goldtop and (purely because they were photographed together) my Epi Zakk Wylde. I can only apologise that neither are Gibsons... I'm broke.

Apologize for not being a Gibson? No need, as long as you enjoy what you're playing. I bought my first Gibson Les Paul in 1980. A used Gibson "The Paul". I sold it in 1983, and bought an Ibanez Roadstar RS1000 and Peavey Amp. It took me 30 years, to get the two I have now.

• Members

I vaguely remember the old Roadstars. Too young to have actually seen them from new, but an internet friend (much older than me) had one that he'd kept pristine. It looked fantastic and from the very rudimentary recordings he sent, it sounded amazing.

Thank you, by the way. Adding my collection of knock-off LPs to this thread felt almost like being the poor kid at school! One is a Satellite; a 70s Jap import. The one next to it with the weird neck used to be a Swift. Not sure where it came from or how old it is, but both are bolt on necks with molded hardwood tops. If you knock on the body, you can really hear the cheap. The Satellite is plywood with I think a stained maple neck, and the Swift is a basswood body. The original neck was maple, as is the new one. Not sure what the hardware is on each, but somehow both manage to sound surprisingly decent. There's a lot of evidence to suggest that the Satellite has been modified at some point in its life, so I wouldn't be surprised if those aren't the original pickups. The Swift is all original apart from the neck, it's just been rebuilt due to it being mistreated. And I gotta say... I really like it. Works well as a baritone and sounds plenty beefy!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

It's the only reason why I don't own an R9.....I cannot do with that cherry red back n sides on almost every guitar they turn out with gorgeous tops on, but that just don't go with the back n sides.

However now they are selling a line called "True Historic".....the actual red backs are gone :-)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Custom/True-Historic-1959-Les-Paul.aspx

Archived