New Mackie digital mixer

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now THAT looks pretty slick. So not only can everyone manage their own mix from an iPad, but you can also run your sequenced tracks directly to the mixer from an iPad without taking up any additional channels? Lots of great ideas coming out in the mixer arena. I think Presonus deserves a lot of credit for what's happening. It's good for everyone :thu:

• Members

Now THAT looks pretty slick. So not only can everyone manage their own mix from an iPad, but you can also run your sequenced tracks directly to the mixer from an iPad without taking up any additional channels? Lots of great ideas coming out in the mixer arena. I think Presonus deserves a lot of credit for what's happening. It's good for everyone
:thu:

Yep. Things are getting fun!

• Members

Gawd, what a horrible web site. Okay, so this is an iPad-controlled mixer, and it's 100% dependent on the iPad as the UI, is that right?

That's very cool in one respect -- it should lower the cost, because you're not paying for the display and (some) of the processing. Integration with additional iPads is cool.

On the other hand... I have an iPad2. I assume it works on this mixer. What happens when the iPad3 comes out in a few months? I've heard it has the same form factor, so it's probably not an issue, but Oy!.... this means you not only have to hope your digital mixer is still supported, but that the UI device can still talk to your mixer a couple of years down the road.

And yeah... I wish Allen & Heath or Soundcraft were getting into this space, but maybe there's something to be said for this "use the current popular tablet as the graphic UI" approach. Hey, no big deal to toss out your hardware and upgrade every 24 months, right?

:eek:

• Members

Looks like mackie is trying to compete with the Presonus studiolive boards.

I still am leary of low cost DA/AD converters and

still love my trusty Soundcraft Delta mixers. I dumped the Driverack PA and

went back to the analog EAW xover/processor cause although I had everything

set right on the Driverack PA just doesnt cut it. Not to get to far off the main subject

but the low end digital still aint there yet. Does anyone know what this Mackie

unit costs?

• Members

Eventually someone is going to come along and implement all the great features and innovations of boards like this, the new Line 6 board, the Studiolive, AH and Soundcraft boards, etc.at a reasonable price, and it's going to take over. I don't think it's a good idea to completely bypass an actual control surface for the latest gadget, but I also see being able to do playback through the iPad without using up channels as being huge. The monitoring capability also cuts into Aviom and other such systems. The iPad/wireless control 'almost' gets rid of the need for a snake. All these little things are adding up to some really cool and convenient solutions.

• Members

Well... if it's any consolation... my pickup wasn't running quite right today while hauling some firewood... adjusting the points seems to have gotten it out of it's funk (while I was wearing some socks that Liz darned).

Well, I think I remember how to set points, but a few months ago when my '91 Boneville with 235,000 miles it started running bad, I wasn

• Members

Are they advertising the board or magic mushrooms with that video?

I wish i worked with bands like that. After putting the bass guitar way up in the mix, messing with the delay on the main outs and washing his face down the toilet half way through the set.. the band still congratulated him on a great job.

• Members

Went to take a loook at the QSC console... still appears to be vaporware. Looked at the A&H, and while interesting I don;t think they hit the mark. Have not seen the "B", the "M", or the "6" yet and haven't made nit over to "Y" as we got our proverbial asses kicked from the time doors opened till closing time. Did get to visit with some forumites, nice break!

• Members

I wish i worked with bands like that. After putting the bass guitar way up in the mix, messing with the delay on the main outs and washing his face down the toilet half way through the set.. the band still congratulated him on a great job.

Yup. Everything was solved by turning up more.

I think his mix went down the toilet as well.

Hard to take a product as good when even the company seems to act like its a joke.

• Members

On the other hand... I have an iPad2. I assume it works on this mixer. What happens when the iPad3 comes out in a few months? I've heard it has the same form factor, so it's probably not an issue, but Oy!.... this means you not only have to hope your digital mixer is still supported, but that the UI device can still talk to your mixer a couple of years down the road.

Glad I'm not the only one worried about this. Shiny today, very possibly unsupported trash 5 or 10 years from now.

• Members

I love the chaos possibilities of 5 hands on the monitor mixes.

If its anything like qMix for the studiolive then you can 'lock down' who has access to which monitor mixes. In other words an individual can't jack with everyone else's mix (or they can)--depending on how you choose to set it up.

I like the idea of basically a snake that can be controlled by multiple wireless devices without the need for an actual board. I don't necessarily like the fact that it's solely built around an ipad

Archived