New Mackie digital mixer

• Members

I would definitely be worried about reliability if it was a mission critical situation. As a guy in a band running my own sound I'm not overly concerned because my main issue is getting a good sound check and from there I rarely touch the board. At this price point I'm going to take a chance on it and see how goes.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure it'd still pass audio; my concern would be if a feedback event started happening while the iPad was crapped out. It looks like it's got gain controls on the unit anyway, so you could always manipulate using that, provided you didn't stick it on stage to avoid bringing out your snake like I'm sure I would be doing. ;)

Agedhorse, it's pretty obvious that this stuff isn't for the league of bands you're running. I think it's very interesting right now that the "little guys" are the ones getting all the new, interesting stuff. It's not reliable enough to hit the market for the big venues, but the smaller market, where it's not a life-or-death situation, is where they can essentially try these things out. Interesting times. Completely the opposite of previous, when the big boards would do the fancy stuff and it'd slowly trickle down into mainstream.

• Members
Being able to walk back to the bar, walk to the manager, say "Everything sound okay to you?", hearing "Can you bring it down a little?", and bringing a fader down on your wirelessly-connected iPad just sounds like a goddamn killer feature to me.

iPads are cheap; you can get a used one on Craigslist for ~$250 now, if you don't have one already.

For what I could sell my MixWiz and giant 14U slant rack case, I could get the Mackie and pay nothing out of pocket.

I do this all the time, while recording up to 24 tracks.

:love:

• Members

I can already imagine the sonic nightmare going on if band members can control their own monitor mixes. The same nippleheads who need to play loud onstage would probably be wanting their monitors louder. Imagine all the feedback and stagewash possibilities. :facepalm:

• Members

Wireless FOH is not a feature, it is a gamble.

I can, but I won't.

If one of you amps had a realistic possibility of failing mid show without warning, you would replace it. I already can't keep 10 wireless units running trouble free from show to show without serious effort. Why would I want to add FOH to that list if I don't need to?

If the PM wants me to turn it down, he knows where to find me.

• Members

it is a gamble.

Everything is a gamble. Users will simply have to evaluate the risks vs the benefits. I imagine being a wi-fi device it just retransmits if the receiver doesn't understand the message so a command might be delayed a tiny bit. That said, Wi-fi is not a terrible robust system.

• Members
I can already imagine the sonic nightmare going on if band members can control their own monitor mixes. The same nippleheads who need to play loud onstage would probably be wanting their monitors louder. Imagine all the feedback and stagewash possibilities.
:facepalm:

Yep, which is why I'd never use that option with my band. But it's just an option, and it might work well if your band is on IEM's.

• Members
I can already imagine the sonic nightmare going on if band members can control their own monitor mixes. The same nippleheads who need to play loud onstage would probably be wanting their monitors louder. Imagine all the feedback and stagewash possibilities.
:facepalm:

Just because I have a compressor on every channel, every aux, every subgroup, and the mains doesn't mean that I'm going to use it on everything. The same as having the ability to let band members remotely control the monitor mixes, it doesn't mean I'm going to let them.

;)

• Members

The Mackie does not have to be run wirelessly. It could be left in the dock or even run with a Cat 5 cable, which is much easier to run than a snake.

How do you run CAT5 into an iPad? I don't have mine in front of me but I don't think it has a port.

Speaking of all this network stuff, what do you guys think the maximum range would between the router and an iPad?

• Members

I lie in a suburban area of about 1M people. Within a 20 mile radius of me, I have have 20 MAJOR military installations. One of them is the world's largest naval base. It houses 5 carriers and all the extra ships that support them. Camp Peary (CIA "The Farm" is about 15 minutes from me. The club I did the other night is in the middle of all this is also in the middle of a commercial area. We have played it before without issue. They just added two new buildings in that area. One is a new FBI building and the other is Homeland Security installation.

So at load in I dial in my normal freqs and turn on the mics only to see regular intermittent RF spiking on every unit. No big deal I thought. These AT3000s have 1200 channels to pick from. They also have three groups of compatible freqs that can auto-scan. I only need 4 mic channels and 5 IEM channels if I condense things down.

So.....I start the scan.

Not one channel in first group.

Not one channel in second group.

Not one channel in third group.

1200 freqs and not one free from interference at this location.

Wireless software with FCC database says I easily have 30 channels to pick from. Software is wrong.

I did make it through with careful use of the software, trial and error in selection of least interference, and judicious use of squelch. It was touch and go.....

If I can't find one in 1200 wireless channels, I am not looking for wifi to be my choice for FOH.

I don't want ANY wireless control anywhere near my system for any reason. No walking around the room with an iPad or a laptop. I stay on cat5 and USB only.

• Members

• Members

Archived