Sign in to follow this  
Dendy Jarrett

Musician's Memoriam 2015

FYI that's Leslie Gore...and also FYI, "It's My Party" was produced by Quincy Jones. Yes, that Quincy Jones.

It's always sad to see lists like this... :(

I didn't know that Q had produced that song. You learn something new every day!

Other corrected misspellings or misnomers:

Ornette Coleman

Ronnie Gilbert

Where are the editors?????????????????????????????????????

I'm sure I could add a few more but my memory doesn't know one year from the last any more.

With 4 days left in 2015' date=' this list is a bit premature… eh?[/quote']

I just heard that Lemmy from Motorhead passed away, so unfortunately, yes... a bit premature. :(

Thanks for calling this to my attention. I did the image while traveling and on my small screen. Age is getting the better of my eyesight! :[

D

It's a sad list to be sure. Would be even sadder if we weren't all here reading it.

But after all....

frown.gif

The news comes three months after the band's trombonist, Rico Rodriguez, died.

RIP, Mr Bradbury.

RIP, Mr Rodriguez.

Great players, both. I can literally hear the signature sounds of both in my memory, those sharp snare rolls and that sliding 'bone. Very sad. A great live band, of course, no secret. They came out of a very exciting time for a lot of us.

Edited by blue2blue

I just heard that Lemmy from Motorhead passed away, so unfortunately, yes... a bit premature. :(

I spend most mornings in a Church doing funerals… Death happens everyday. It was way premature.

Hard to believe that Natalie Cole is gone.

Regarding the list being pre-mature — Most sites like TIME magazine and/or CNN published their list in November. They just keep adding to it.

I am certain we left some people out and it also doesn't mention the thousands of local musicians who kept music alive on the local scenes.

D

You can add Mr. Davy Jones, Nov. 2015.. Great Austin, Texas guitar player. Founding member of still strong and going cow-punk band The Hickoids as well as numerous witty offshoot projects. A gay pirate band " The Swishbuckler's", The Ideals, Too many to mention. He probably played more benefit shows than any other Austin musician I know. Was known by our local music rag as " The Human Jukebox " R.I.P., Davy, You are sorely missed.

• Like 1