went to buy a jazzmaster today... came home with this

mistersully

• Members

i've got it tuned to open f# with a set of 11s on it.... i'm using it as a little blues beast and it sounds great for that

Would that be open G down one semi tone? Give me the scale length and I'll calculate the tension

thinking of pinning the bridge though... thoughts?

No, no, no. If its built like an ES-175 it will have a square structure under the center of the top to support the pup with legs running the length of the top. The floating bridge is supported on those legs but there is no bridge plate or anything directly under the bridge area. The pins will be pulling on the top itself - a good chance of pulling thru.

In addition, a pinned bridge and a floating bridge work in entirely different fashions (which is why they are braced differently. A pinned bridge torques the top around the long axis of the bridge, a floating bridge applies a direct downward component of string tension (and vibration) into the top. With a pinned bridge all the string tension is anchored at the bridge pins, with a floating bridge most of it is into the tailpiece. Basically two different animals.

Lastly, you would be irreversibly modifying (I was going to say screwing up) a lovely little guitar - enjoy it the way it is

• Members
hey Freeman... it's a 22 3/4″ scale.

and yes.. open G a half step down.... i might even put 12s on it at some stage

I fired up the old Universal String Tension calculator and for 22.75 scale, a normal set of 0.011 - 0.049 and tuning Db F# Db F# Bb Db (low to high) you've got only 80 pounds of tension - pretty wimpy. Tuned to concert that same set would be about 105 pounds.

I would be interested in knowing what Gibson designed that guitar for - most of the time archtops use light or medium gauge acoustic strings, the short scale will lower the tension proportionally (acoustic mediums at concert would still only be 140 pounds with that scale). You should be very safe with 12's and open G or D should work just fine.

Archived