Your favorite or most memorable song intro is?

Dendy Jarrett

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another intro I like. You hear this cheezy intro... it sounds like your grandmother's Lowrey organ cha-cha rhythm preset, robotic and lifeless, and you think, "This could never be made into a convincing R&B record." But then something in the chemistry of the song happens, and it sounds fantastic. The simplicity against which a compelling mix can be made.

[video=youtube;cFU-FJzPE80]

• Members

As a keyboard player, "Light my Fire" is permanently etched on my brain, and will always be special.

Rush's "Tom Sawyer" deserves honorable mention. It's perhaps the most famous lowpass filter sweep of all time.

"My Sharona" from The Knack.

"Mean Street" (Van Halen's Fair Warning)

The Who's "Eminence Front"

Genesis "Man on the Corner" or Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight"

Dire Straits "Money for Nothing"

Asia's "Only Time Will Tell"

Europe's "Final Countdown"

• Members

When I was growing up in the seventies it was common for song intros to be a different piece of music than the song itself. Of course a song intro can also be the opening riff or chord sequence of the song but when I hear the term "song intro" I still think of it as a separate piece of music.

I always liked this intro and it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

.[video=youtube;HzjWsrlHLBE]

• Members

And "Castles made of Sand", and "Spanish Castle magic", and......Most of 'em he did really...

'Castles Made of Sand' is one intro I really love. I guess it has 2 intros actually. I always loved the way it sounded, but never appreciated the harmonic complexity of it until I sat down and learned it. But a lot of Hendrix stuff is like that; learning it gives you a lot of insight into the thing. Sort of like reading the book after seeing a movie.

• Members

Here is another of my favorites.

"Smoke from a Distant Fire" - Sanford Townsend Band

[video=youtube;wCWVuCCWqzQ]

I just love the intro and most importantly, the percussion. Ironically, the percussion track is played by the great Tom Roady (rest in peace friend) with whom I had the great pleasure of playing in a band with for 10 years. What a fantastic humanoid you were sir!

• Members
Here is another of my favorites.

"Smoke from a Distant Fire" - Sanford Townsend Band

[video=youtube;wCWVuCCWqzQ]

I just love the intro and most importantly, the percussion. Ironically, the percussion track is played by the great Tom Roady (rest in peace friend) with whom I had the great pleasure of playing in a band with for 10 years. What a fantastic humanoid you were sir!

I loved that record. And I kinda thought I was the only one who remembered it anymore. :sm-heart:

• Members
As a keyboard player' date=' "Light my Fire" is permanently etched on my brain, and will always be special.[/quote']

You can play that damned thing? I've never been able to! Not perfectly. I bet you can also play the intro to "Green-Eyed Lady" and the keyboard solo in "Time Of The Season" ! cool.png Or the piano intermezzo in "Something In The Air".

• Members

In my dance-party/cover band I have what I call the "three note rule". If everyone doesn't recognize the song by the first three notes, then we aren't playing it. Most of the short-intro songs mentioned here fall into the category.

I have a lot of favorite intros. For a lot of different reasons.

"Baba O'Reilly" is the one that coming into my head right now as the perfect rock intro.​​

• Members
As a keyboard player' date=' "Light my Fire" is permanently etched on my brain, and will always be special.[/quote']

You can play that damned thing? I've never been able to! Not perfectly. I bet you can also play the intro to "Green-Eyed Lady" and the keyboard solo in "Time Of The Season" ! cool.png

Archived