Sign in to follow this  
Dendy Jarrett

Your favorite or most memorable song intro is?

You know- the thing that really speaks to your memory banks about the first time you heard a particular song or what "makes" the song because you immediately know it is "that" song.

I'll start with two for me (and I am sorry, I am dating my self)

"JUMP" - Van Halen

and

"Cool Change" - Little River Band

What's Yours?

D

"You Really Got Me" - Van Halen

"Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson

"Baby Got Back" - Sir Mixalot

"When The Levee Breaks" - Led Zeppelin

"Seven Nation Army" - White Stripes

"Beast of Burden" - Stones

"Smoke On The Water" - Deep Purple

"Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin

"Electric Eye" - Judas Priest

"I Feel Love" - Donna Summer

"Journey in Satchidananda" Alice Coltrane (low-key but soooo hypnotic)

Edited by UstadKhanAli

How about this. You instantly know the song!

That Bass Line was a dead give away-

"Another One Bites The Dust" — Queen

[video=youtube;rY0WxgSXdEE]

Edited by Dendy Jarrett

Man, there are a lot of great intros out there; it's hard to choose. But considering I rarely miss a chance to turn people onto Gentle Giant—and since this song has both a great intro and coda—I'll pick the live version of "So Sincere." :thu:

[video=youtube;pIaG8a9ACYY]

Enjoy! :)

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

"Sweet Jane" Lou Reed...That whole dual guitar intro is just amazing...

• Like 1

I was largely going for these intros that go, "BANG!" right out of the gate and are really memorable or have a great riff. But for longer intros, "The Song Remains The Same" is pretty great. And yeah, "Sweet Jane" by Lou Reed is amazing.

How about this. You instantly know the song!

That Bass Line was a dead give away-

"Another One Bites The Dust" — Queen

[video=youtube;rY0WxgSXdEE]

Among the greatest, grooviest bass lines ever thrown down.

• Like 1

"Give Me Shelter" - Rolling Stones

[video=youtube;R3rnxQBizoU]

Edited by Dendy Jarrett
Keeping Posts with same info: Title- Artists- and video (if available.)

As much as the bass line in Another One Bites The Dust immediately made the song known, (and I can't believe I am posting this as a drummer ... but it is true.) the drumming in this song immediately made it known. Seeing how as a kid playing in a performing band in the 70's, I certainly played my fair share of this song, and I have always identified with the intro:

"Wipe Out" - The Ventures

[video=youtube;3bKG0p6Tv9Q]

Man' date=' there are a lot of great intros out there; it's hard to choose. But considering I rarely miss a chance to turn people onto Gentle Giant—and since this song has both a great intro [i']and[/i] coda—I'll pick the live version of "So Sincere." :thu:

[video=youtube;pIaG8a9ACYY]

Enjoy! :)

Best,

Geoff

I'm a big fan of Gentle Giant

Good choice, Geoff

This one has two intros. I love the way they contrast with one another. XTC had a real knack for mixing the pleasant with the raw.

[video=youtube;C5gc_-VZiTk]

Best,

Geoff

Edited by Dendy Jarrett
Adding correct link for video preview window

I presented some 60's and 70's examples below, but my favorite 80's intro is ...

"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" — Tears for Fears

[video=youtube;ST86JM1RPl0]

• Like 2

This intro sets things up perfectly, gets the crowd all holding their collective breaths for the perfect slide into the groove - the reverend totally in control of the congregation.

[YOUTUBE]rqqAnjY2Rmo[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

smiley-happy

[YOUTUBE]JhCdXyrmRC8[/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

I almost mentioned the James Gang Funk #49. I love Joe's guitar intro on that.

[video=youtube;U_qHU_6Ofc0]

"Hard Day's Night" - Beatles (one chord and you know it)

Great reply Beck! I should be kicking myself for not having thought of it... :o

[video=youtube;70QfHtKdh_0]

"How about a little fanfare - I think you know" - Todd Rundgren

[video=youtube;Mp4gqEIqD5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=Mp4gqEIqD5U

Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 09-24-2015, 11:43 AM. Reason: Corrected link for preview window on video

Denny the link I originally included was one of those full album compilation thingies on Youtube. Unfortunately only the first song will play on Harmony Central.

Here is a link with both the introduction "How about a little fanfare" segueing into "I think you know"

[video=youtube;9fzus-5QFRQ]

Gotta be "Johnny B Goode" along with the drum version of it - "Rock n' Roll"

I'll go along with that too, given that it's Johnny Winter And's Live version of it

This is one of my favourites (or favorites, if you're a Yank)

Whoever uploaded this to YouTube got the title wrong. It's actually (as you know) 'The Spirit of Radio'

[video=youtube;5Tq-UsaRchI]

Foxey Lady - Hendrix

...and "Purple Haze" and "Manic Depression." "Little Wing," too. He was good at that stuff...

...and "Purple Haze" and "Manic Depression." "Little Wing," too. He was good at that stuff...

And "Castles made of Sand", and "Spanish Castle magic", and......Most of 'em he did really...

Another intro I like. You hear this cheezy intro... it sounds like your grandmother's Lowrey organ cha-cha rhythm preset, robotic and lifeless, and you think, "This could never be made into a convincing R&B record." But then something in the chemistry of the song happens, and it sounds fantastic. The simplicity against which a compelling mix can be made.

[video=youtube;cFU-FJzPE80]

As a keyboard player, "Light my Fire" is permanently etched on my brain, and will always be special.

Rush's "Tom Sawyer" deserves honorable mention. It's perhaps the most famous lowpass filter sweep of all time.

"My Sharona" from The Knack.

"Mean Street" (Van Halen's Fair Warning)

The Who's "Eminence Front"

Genesis "Man on the Corner" or Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight"

Dire Straits "Money for Nothing"

Asia's "Only Time Will Tell"

Europe's "Final Countdown"

When I was growing up in the seventies it was common for song intros to be a different piece of music than the song itself. Of course a song intro can also be the opening riff or chord sequence of the song but when I hear the term "song intro" I still think of it as a separate piece of music.

I always liked this intro and it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

.[video=youtube;HzjWsrlHLBE]

And "Castles made of Sand", and "Spanish Castle magic", and......Most of 'em he did really...

'Castles Made of Sand' is one intro I really love. I guess it has 2 intros actually. I always loved the way it sounded, but never appreciated the harmonic complexity of it until I sat down and learned it. But a lot of Hendrix stuff is like that; learning it gives you a lot of insight into the thing. Sort of like reading the book after seeing a movie.

Here is another of my favorites.

"Smoke from a Distant Fire" - Sanford Townsend Band

[video=youtube;wCWVuCCWqzQ]

I just love the intro and most importantly, the percussion. Ironically, the percussion track is played by the great Tom Roady (rest in peace friend) with whom I had the great pleasure of playing in a band with for 10 years. What a fantastic humanoid you were sir!

Here is another of my favorites.

"Smoke from a Distant Fire" - Sanford Townsend Band

[video=youtube;wCWVuCCWqzQ]

I just love the intro and most importantly, the percussion. Ironically, the percussion track is played by the great Tom Roady (rest in peace friend) with whom I had the great pleasure of playing in a band with for 10 years. What a fantastic humanoid you were sir!

I loved that record. And I kinda thought I was the only one who remembered it anymore. :sm-heart:

As a keyboard player' date=' "Light my Fire" is permanently etched on my brain, and will always be special.[/quote']

You can play that damned thing? I've never been able to! Not perfectly. I bet you can also play the intro to "Green-Eyed Lady" and the keyboard solo in "Time Of The Season" ! cool.png Or the piano intermezzo in "Something In The Air".

Edited by rasputin1963

In my dance-party/cover band I have what I call the "three note rule". If everyone doesn't recognize the song by the first three notes, then we aren't playing it. Most of the short-intro songs mentioned here fall into the category.

I have a lot of favorite intros. For a lot of different reasons.

"Baba O'Reilly" is the one that coming into my head right now as the perfect rock intro.​​

As a keyboard player' date=' "Light my Fire" is permanently etched on my brain, and will always be special.[/quote']

You can play that damned thing? I've never been able to! Not perfectly. I bet you can also play the intro to "Green-Eyed Lady" and the keyboard solo in "Time Of The Season" ! cool.png

I'm an incorrigible 70's Disco dweeb, and I love this hushed intro. My god-- what are the people in this video DOING?? Could it be they're (gasp) having FUN? Glad they've since put an end to that sort of nefarious musical conspiracy.

[video=youtube;wj23_nDFSfE]

Edited by rasputin1963
  • Like 1

Funeral For A Friend over Love Lies Bleeding. That combo immediately comes to mind. I'm sure there are others but that was a long time ago and thinking isn't on my agenda today.