5 Great Guitar Store Licks

gardo

• Members

I do mainly intros: the opening to "Wish You Were Here", the intro/first chorus of "Moanin'" and the same for "Autumn Leaves", my take on "Jumping at Shadows" (Peter Green version), some "Stormy Monday", and maybe "Nutshell" or "She Talks to Angels".

Oh, and I have a simplified sub-2 minute take on "Breakin' the Law" that I love to bust out.

• Members

Well it's not everyday that I walk into GC and regale the staff and customers with my virtuosity but when I do I absolutely never break out "Stairway" in accordance with the caveat from "Wayne's World". I was playing some "Blackbird" one day in the acoustic section and some guy interrupts my rendition with a "that's not quite right" and proceeds to unveil a totally inferior rendition (IMO). I quickly said "yeah that's great" and snapped the guitar back knowing that my version was much truer to the original. On the electric side I stick mainly to intros, strums, trills and bends just to see what a guitar is capable of. If it's not too busy and I don't feel like I'm imposing, I might jam to the sound system a bit. The fact of the matter is that it's not an open mic and nobody is there to hear you perform.

• Members

( I was never good enough to show off so I am pragmatic in stores)

I used to use sections of this because it mixes nice sharp chords and sustain for the guitar

Trouble is these days kids don't recognize it. smiley-embbarrassed

These days I do more my own riffs that I will actually play

(why don't youtube windows open in post any more here? )

• Members

I normally check the tuning, do some quick power chords, a few speed runs up and down, just getting a feel for the neck, right hand placement, etc. That's normally about it, I don't usually bust out into any particular song. Sometimes I may do the last part of 'One' or a couple of measures from 'South of Heaven' 'Dead Skin Mask', or one of my originals. :thu:

• Members

Great tips but all above my ability. Since I'm a rhythm player I'll play whatever praise band is working on, maybe some early Beatles, maybe an original, throw in a few scales. Intonation is huge for me so I check that by ear but I assume a new guitar will need a setup anyway.

• Members

What are your personal favorite guitar store licks?

It depends entirely on what kind of guitar it is that I've just picked up, but it always starts by checking the tuning (usually first position E and some 5-7 harmonics). If its an acoustic I usually fingerpick some blues or folkie stuff - Anji, Hey Hey, Alice's Restaurant, Candyman... If its a jangly 12 string I'll do Walk Right In or something like that, if its a big full 12 (and the shop has wisely downtuned it) I'll try some Kottke.

If its a resonator or a lap guitar, I'll check the tuning (it should be in either D or G) and ask the guy behind the counter if I can borrow a slide. It its in standard tuning I'll ask their permission to fix that and borrow a slide.

Since I don't know how to do any of that scare-the-kids shredding stuff, if its an electric I'll just play some 12 bar blues, usually in A and using as many positions as I can. And lastly, if its a ukulele I'll just Tiptoe Thru the Tulips.

by the way, in the first picture of your link, I'm the guy with the classical trying to play some tasteful Bach

Archived