What exactly do you do for a living?

Mark L

• Moderators

All roads lead to where we are now.

So very true, Brother One.

I put myself through college as an electronics repair tech and computer programmer. My interest in electronics came from my interest in music + Anderton's project book.

After college, I made my living as a materials scientist researching structural and pavement concrete. On the side, I owned a little recording studio and I was also increasingly successful doing live sound. My success led to THIS HEADLINE in the local paper, which led to me immediately getting fired from my day job! Apparently my 15 minutes of fame was embarrassing to the university and I'd neglected to fill out some form requesting permission for outside employment. Oh well, the job didn't pay that well and 40+ hours a week in a suit didn't really suit me.

I decided to give the music biz a bigger shot, got picked up to do FOH for some some famous country artists. I took an hard working young intern from my studio with me on the tours and sold my interest in the studio to my two partners. After a lot of long bus rides and talking about anything and everything, my interest in HER changed in nature. We got married and suddenly life on the road became an irresponsible, bad idea.

About a year later I found myself back at a different university research center. Although I was once again researchng structures, pavement noise had become a hot topic. The center where I worked opened up a program to try and win some of the state and national funding that was suddenly available to study that topic. Our Director chose a world renown mechanical engineering professor to head it up, and imported a PhD acoustic engineer and an ex Air Force airport noise expert to round the team out. They won a ton of money. I wasn't on their team.

I missed working electronics, sound, and the road, so I started tagging along with the noise research team on their field trips. They were mostly students (imagine a professor lying under a noise trailer in the dirt alongside the rode hooking up cables in the rain with semi trucks speeding by, not happening!) and suddenly as a combination of what I knew plus my willingness to get dirty I'd become a vital member of the team. Emboldened, I started attending their formal project meetings back on campus headed by famous ME professor woman and speaking openly and honestly about the problems with the approach we were taking. She liked me, she liked my ideas, she liked knowing what was really going on; she added me to the program and I became co-author on one of their reports.

Another year or so passed, funding for noise had dried up, the entire team had graduated or been laid off, the ME prof relocated to another university. All gone, the super expensive equipment put in storage. Such is the way of research. Hot one day, dry the next.

Another year after THAT, funding for MY area of research had grown scarce, with noise research once again a hot topic. Our (new) Director held a meeting, asked for a show of hands from anyone who had been involved in the previous noise research. Only my hand went up, everyone else had left. He said, "You're materials." I showed him the report I'd written most of, I showed him my certification by an international noise control institute (you take a test for that), pointed out that I was known to our sponsors and that all the other unis in Tx would be scrambing to import a team. I asked to head our effort.

He said, "Better get the hay in the barn, Terry." Somehow, I did. That and ice research carried me all the way to retirement.

So to summarize for the TLDR folks:

music -> electronics (ty to Anderton here, too btw) -> college -> research -> recording -> touring -> wife -> noise engineering -> retirement -> moderating a music forum.

A strange and crazy path I could never have imagined. :idk:

Terry D.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Pro engineering technician, sound engineer, musician, recording artist, creative entrepruener, manure spreader, {shiate disturber?} chef, carwasher, haybailer,

janitorial sanitation tech, finance analyst, marketting guru, pro audio sales tech,

professional student, landlord and accountant. I've done and been all these things in the course of my lifetime and have yet to truly find my niche/bliss.

Maybe it's a she, baby come to me, I'm ready.

Acting is the last profession or endeavor I would entertain as an entertainer.... of sorts....

• Members

Before 1980 I was playing full time doing the Jersey Shore/NY club circuits. Then I went back and completed getting my electronics degree in 1980 and have been working in that field ever since. I've done allot of different jobs during that time within the industry.

I started in music electronic repair for a few years and saw that was a dead end low budget profession. I did 6 months working for JVC and 6 months with Kramer. I then got into business equipment repairs making good money. I'd switch jobs trying to get away from field work and wound up snagging a job as a Video Producer making technical training videos.

That was allot of fun because I was doing everything from writing scripts, booking studio time, working with digital effects artists, hiring video companies, you name it. I'd do everything the big guys did but on a small scale size. We averaged about $100K per hour in finished cost for the product which was later sold to dealerships to get their employees trained. In many ways it was tough too because I was working for a Japanese company which had its own set of obsticals in getting things done well.

After that I did Curriculum writing for 2 years, Teaching and Tech support for 5 years. That was a fun job too. After that, I was back in the field awhile, Service supervisor, Service manager, Service Engineer, Back to being a tech, on and off like this all the time I been in the field. Its at the point were I don't even put down half the things I've done on the resume.

Last corporation I did 9 years and 11 months with Canon. The bastards rushed to close the local office a month early so they could avoid paying the extra in the severance package. I knew it was coming for a year though. I been around long enough to read how these companies operate.

The past couple of years since then I've found a nice family owned local company and they made me their Distribution Manager. I have 4 employees who I manager. Its mostly computer work now. No more road work. I was so burnt out form driving all those years. Breaking into a new field at my age is nearly impossible too so getting something that didn't require travel and still in the same field was a good score.

• Members

I tell people that I went thru college, did several blue collar jobs including cooking in two very different kinds of restaurant, driving a school bus, working in a bulldozer blade factory, driving an eighteen wheeler, operating an alfalfa pellet mill and along the way a few years of gigging. From there I got a temp job repossessing phones for one of (then) AT&T's subsidiaries. That led to a permanent position with Southwestern Bell, which became SBC, which became at&t. I call it ABC&T. After nearly thirty years there, I began voluntary unemployment and earned my GED - Grandpa's Emergency Daycare - with the help of my two grandkids. I'm heading to their school in about half an hour to have lunch with them.

• Members

i remove testicles for a living... well, to be fair i also do ovario-hysterectomies and emergency c-sections... as well as heartworm treatments, dentals, and regularly scheduled annual checkups for your pets and farm critters... and wildlife... ( we work with several rehabs for wild and domestic animals actively returning eagles, deer, raccoons, etc back to their proper homes when possible.... snakes, pelicans, hummingbirds... you know... ) our little 25 acre farm is now officially an animal sanctuary, rehabilitation and rescue facility to facilitate and improve both our mobile and our more traditional brick and mortar vet practices... sometimes... very late at night, i drive for hours through the rain and darkness just so i can see how far i can shove my arm into an equine uterus without getting my face kicked off... its a strange little planet you humans have here... i hope the mother ship returns for me soon...

• Members
I tell people that I went thru college, did several blue collar jobs including cooking in two very different kinds of restaurant, driving a school bus, working in a bulldozer blade factory, driving an eighteen wheeler, operating an alfalfa pellet mill and along the way a few years of gigging. From there I got a temp job repossessing phones for one of (then) AT&T's subsidiaries. That led to a permanent position with Southwestern Bell, which became SBC, which became at&t. I call it ABC&T. After nearly thirty years there, I began voluntary unemployment and earned my GED - Grandpa's Emergency Daycare - with the help of my two grandkids. I'm heading to their school in about half an hour to have lunch with them.

thank you, thank you... love the quote in your sig!

• Members

I'm in my 28th and final year as a 9-1-1 dispatcher (technically, Senior Public Safety Telecommunicator). I have already applied, and been approved, for retirement, after which I hope to spend a lot more time scouting gigs for my band. I've been a semi-pro musician off & on since about 1968.

• Members

Gumbo biz is banging along just fine. But I've branched out, ever since TV here started re-running "The Big Lebowski", I've had a lot of requests to throw ferrets in people's bath-tubs and urinate on their carpets.

It's sort of a twofer thing and by appointment only. And of course, customers can have food delivered at the same time too. So a customer can enjoy a bowl of gumbo in the bath, before or after the ferret, while our representative pees on the carpet.

We offer other dishes and animals too, but nothing venomous. You have to draw the line somewhere. We didn't want to reach too far, too quickly.

I don't personally do it. I hire locals. But it's been turning into a lucrative little sideline for us. Right now, we're the only restaurant/delivery service that even offers to pee on our customers' rugs for them. I try to stay ahead of the curve.

• Members
Gumbo biz is banging along just fine. But I've branched out, ever since TV here started re-running "The Big Lebowski", I've had a lot of requests to throw ferrets in people's bath-tubs and urinate on their carpets.

It's sort of a twofer thing and by appointment only. And of course, customers can have food delivered at the same time too. So a customer can enjoy a bowl of gumbo in the bath, before or after the ferret, while our representative pees on the carpet.

We offer other dishes and animals too, but nothing venomous. You have to draw the line somewhere. We didn't want to reach too far, too quickly.

I don't personally do it. I hire locals. But it's been turning into a lucrative little sideline for us. Right now, we're the only restaurant/delivery service that even offers to pee on our customers' rugs for them. I try to stay ahead of the curve.

Congratulations...I'm what I think is a pretty tough guy with a strong bias towards cynicism. Yet you have deeply disturbed me.

Archived