"Tone is in the fingers"... but where?

phaeton

• Members
the sound is in your head' date='you sculpt the sound to how you think it should sound............[/quote']

I think this is the statement that sums it up. Over time, we guitarist, have that tone in our heads, and we adjust our playing to match that tone unconsciously. Yes, gear plays a part in it, but it's the mindset, that has the final say. A good friend of mine, can pick up a BC Rich, or a Paul, and make it sound like a Tele, because that's the tone he loves.

• Members

I think by the time you get to the point of playing like Jimi or Mark, Satriani, Dime, or Zakk, it really doesn't matter anymore what mood you're in, and to a certain extent, what gear you're using. These dudes can just enter the zone at will, without being influenced by daily goings-on, or at least they appear to be able to. Ever seen Zakk live? Absolutely amazing, each and every time. If he let crap influence his playing, in the way most if us do - angry = loud/aggressive, etc, his live show would be all over the place, but its not. In interviews some have mentioned being able to recall the thought as the song was written and use that emotion every time. If day to day emotions were allowed to influence, In This River would go from being a serious, somewhat sombre song to a Screamo version from show to show, I'm sure.

• Members
I've always hated that saying. No way Eddie Van Halen sounds the same using a single coil strat through a fender twin EVEN with distortion. He's going to sound like EVH playing through a strat and a twin. The whole "he sound the same on any gear" is nonsense.

Now this is where somebody is going to come and say "that's not what they mean by tone is in the fingers". To that I say.... They should be saying technique is in the fingers.

If Eddie and I both stand with the same guitar and play ONE note...no bending, no palm muting....same dynamic level...it would sound EXACTLY the same.

Of course when you put two different people on the same gear it's going to sound different cause they both have different technique. And yes a small amount of tone can be shaped from the BASE tone of the gear you're on...basically by muting sharpness by with the palm or fretting fingers and dynamics. By that's FAR from the "tone is in the fingers" that I think most people mean when they say it.

One example I use to always give here was this....

[YOUTUBE]D9v5e1TTwts[/YOUTUBE]

I'm amazed at how many people on HC over the years hear this clip and think that it sounds like Joe's "tone". I honestly think these people can't separate the actual tone from the technique. ie...they have bad ears.

That sounds like absolute garbage. I mean...it's joe playing amazingly as usual. It sounds like the song and it's nearly perfect. But the tone? NOTHING like the original. It's all shrill and trebly and sounds like what it is.....a garbage guitar through a garbage amp.

To me this video is absolute proof that tone is NOT in the fingers.

Naw, I hear Joe in there. This is more of an example of too much overdrive ruining the tone.

• Members

A lot of good responses here.

The technique part is easy to work on, but is there anything that can be done to develop the internal, emotional aspect? As I get older I'm noticing that I'm less and less of an emotional person. I don't know if this is normal or if I'm just fuctup, but I'm not sure what I could do about it, if anything.

• Members

The technique part is easy to work on, but is there anything that can be done to develop the internal, emotional aspect? As I get older I'm noticing that I'm less and less of an emotional person. I don't know if this is normal or if I'm just fuctup, but I'm not sure what I could do about it, if anything.

When I'm in between bands or if we're on a hiatus, I find myself feeling the same way

Jamming by myself. Find, at least, a drummer, ads are on CL a lot. I find that its easier to 'zone' in a live setting :thu:

• Members

When I'm in between bands or if we're on a hiatus, I find myself feeling the same way

Jamming by myself. Find, at least, a drummer, ads are on CL a lot. I find that its easier to 'zone' in a live setting :thu:

I could always join these guys: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tlg/4804887262.html

We are a new band by the name of Upon The Earth, arriving to the music seance to peruse in accomplish a dream'career of forming a metal&rock band. We are not a very well known band due to the lack of not having musicians. we are in need of a great drummer a bass guitarist and a lead guitarist we have studio equipment to make recordings but not great talented beans to play live with; if you are interested in grouping with us to help build a career and build a great friendship through the passion for music in amazing talent, you can contact us by replying to this add post. Thank you

Sincerely Tazz 1st lead singer screamo vocalist & songwriter

By Tori Rockerfeller 1st lead singer studio manager & songwriter

• Members

As you get older its natural for your libido levels to drop. You don't have those butterfly's caused by fear and the nervous stomach you had before you played is less because you have more experience and confidence under those stage lights. You see the audience as friendly not the all seeing eye you did as a child and you are less passionate about overcoming that fear and impressing the hot chicks as a young single guy. That doesn't mean you can't play your best by refocusing on just playing better notes and having something really worthwhile to say within your music.

Most do miss that stage fright they had back when they first started playing but few don't miss the choking up and hand freezes it caused, nor the complete loss of memory when you forgot your parts in the middle of the song because you were more worried about your own vanity then what people were hearing. Luckily the mind still remembers and that's what drives you to keep playing.

Archived