Do you consider yourself to be a musician????

EdBega

• Members

Almost everyone is a musician by that definition, most people sing..

Would a kazoo player qualify?

Funny thing ,I don't consider singers to be musicians unless they play an instrument.

A kazoo is something you sing into so a kazoo player may be a singer but still not a musician

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hi,

I think that I am not a musician, but I am a guitar player because I think that If you need a tag of a musician than you must have experience minimum 4 years.

.................................................. .......

I don't think how long you have been playing is nearly as importat as how well you play..

• Members

My answer is easy.

I'm a musician because that's what I do for a living.

I love my job, and I look forward to every gig. Some people say, "I have to go to work today :(" and I say, I get to to to work today :D"

I'm old enough to retire, but I have no plans of doing so. Gigging is the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

Notes

• Members
My answer is easy.

I'm a musician because that's what I do for a living.

I love my job, and I look forward to every gig. Some people say, "I have to go to work today :(" and I say, I get to to to work today :D"

I'm old enough to retire, but I have no plans of doing so. Gigging is the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

Notes

ding ding ding winner ...

Calling yourself a musician requires not having a real job ...

• Members

There were only 6 years out of 57 when I didn't play and perform, so I know little else when it comes to my true identity. I have a day job as an Electronic Tech but that's just a well paying necessity that pays the bills. Its closely related to music so its at least tolerable. I doubt I could have tolerated doing some unrelated menial work for very long. I did that for several years before I got my electronics degree and it sucked balls for sure.

I can say in the past 20 or so years I've focused more on just being a Man and ignoring all other labels. Most of the time they are just unnecessary baggage you carry around that does you no good. If you aren't playing out its just a bunch of words and no action. When you do play, you can simply let others decide what you are and hopefully have enough self esteem to ignore any labels people give you no matter how interesting some may be.

• Members
If you aren't playing out its just a bunch of words and no action. When you do play' date=' you can simply let others decide what you are and hopefully have enough self esteem to ignore any labels people give you no matter how interesting some may be. [/quote']

I agree with all of this except about playing out. I never enjoyed playing out. Anyway, week to week more people hear me online than ever came to a gig. I also get better feedback from them, and I don't have to haul gear around.

• Members
I miss the :facepalm: smiley.

Hey I don't have a real job and I'm still not a musician so there's more to it than that.

Talent, notoriety, profession ???

Though there are famous people who aren't that musically talented IMO but still have the ability to connect regardless.

• Members
Hey I don't have a real job and I'm still not a musician so there's more to it than that. Talent' date=' notoriety, profession ??? Though there are famous people who aren't that musically talented IMO but still have the ability to connect regardless. [/quote'] I thought were saying that money/profession was the determining factor. I hearby rescind my :facepalm:

• Members
I thought were saying that money/profession was the determining factor. I hearby rescind my :facepalm:

Nah it's an old joke about calling yourself a musician is just an excuse for not having a real job.

We should all be so lucky.

• Members

Yeah, without exception, every profess musician I know works harder than I do. :D

It's a hobby for me so I don't have that kind of drive, it would take the fun out of it for me but one of my other hobbies is mountain biking and occasionally a hiker will comment that it looks like work. I just tell them no way would I ever work this hard ...

• Members

It's a hobby for me so I don't have that kind of drive, it would take the fun out of it for me but one of my other hobbies is mountain biking and occasionally a hiker will comment that it looks like work. I just tell them no way would I ever work this hard ...

So you consider yourself a mtn biker and a hiker, eh? :)

• Members

Or stop to answer it.

Today I'm going to play all through and catch up on some things. I might even tab a score a couple people have asked me for...nah.

The non-musician - Doesn't sight-read a score to play a song. Depends on ear training and other self-taught skills that have effectively created a fake musician out of him, but he somewhow thinks he's earned the title of musician. He's missing the key element for being a universal participant and contributor to music through his lack of sight-reading skills, which he usually passes off as a non-issue. Yet, he can't simply jump into any score-dependent mix. He's limited. A musician is not limited. But, we do get out egos bruised easily and would rather argue ourselves musicians than suffer the humility.

To me that's not the criteria I would use. I read music, play out occasionally, sing as well, fool people sometimes but know that I'm not really a musician. A musician to me can play along with anybody on the fly. I just don't have that ability really. A simple blues yes, but beyond that no. But then I don't consider some professionals to be true musicians either. There are several pop and country stars that have a pleasant voice (not brilliant), have the timing, play a little rhythm, usually in a sexy package, sometimes learn a few dance moves - not a real musician in my book. Elvis, the original King of Pop, never considered himself a musician (anybody have the quote?) - I respect that.

To do what a true musician can do IMO, first you have to develop an amazing ear; then you just have to know your instrument like the back of your hand and have the technical ability to play most anything you can hear in your head; then you have to be able to tell from a chord progression what kind of scales including modes you could use to improvise over it. A musician always has a better sense of what he has under his fingers at all times in terms of scale degree and interval than I do, I imagine anyway.

This is a musician in my eyes:

[video=youtube;jE0qLKHnflo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0qLKHnflo

• Members

To me that's not the criteria I would use. I read music, play out occasionally, sing as well, fool people sometimes but know that I'm not really a musician. A musician to me can play along with anybody on the fly. I just don't have that ability really. A simple blues yes, but beyond that no. But then I don't consider some professionals to be true musicians either. There are several pop and country stars that have a pleasant voice (not brilliant), have the timing, play a little rhythm, usually in a sexy package, sometimes learn a few dance moves - not a real musician in my book. Elvis, the original King of Pop, never considered himself a musician (anybody have the quote?) - I respect that.

To do what a true musician can do IMO, first you have to develop an amazing ear; then you just have to know your instrument like the back of your hand and have the technical ability to play most anything you can hear in your head; then you have to be able to tell from a chord progression what kind of scales including modes you could use to improvise over it. A musician always has a better sense of what he has under his fingers at all times in terms of scale degree and interval than I do, I imagine anyway.

This is a musician in my eyes:

[video=youtube;jE0qLKHnflo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0qLKHnflo

His tone sux

Archived