NGDx4

Buttcrust

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Any suggestions for bass multi-effects pedals ? smiley-happy

I generally don't see bassists using much in the way of effects but some players do use compression. Personally I don't use anything when I play bass and I don't really recommend anything either. WRGKMC plays bass. Maybe he'll chime in.

• Members

The only thing I use for bass is either some compression or modeling for recording. I record direct and having come compression, EQ and cab emulation is very helpful. Much of this is what you'd obtain playing through a miced amp except you're doing it with a box instead.

Live I may use a limiter if the head doesn't have one built in. Chorus can be cool for some stuff too. The effects must be voiced for the bass though. I very rarely use any kind of drive. It can be useful on some tunes that used that kind of effect but its pretty much a one trick pony.

It really comes down to the musical composition and where you can use the effects.

Some kind of jazzy solo bass thing may work well, but you loos the kick of the drums. When you play with a drummer you want to match the dry kick of his bass drum. When you have effects going it starts too get sloppy and not sound like a bass any more.

Reverbs, Echos, Wah, etc are in the same category where they can make the music sloppy is applied improperly with a live bass. If you apply them to a recording of by a sound man after the solid sound has been produces it can be much more beneficial creating room sounds. In a chain before and amp or mic it generally washes out any kind of solid thump.

Octave devices and synth sounds can be useful at times. They are kind of dated however. You'd hear those kind of effects back in the 70/80's when synths and disco was big. They may make a resurgence some day but they aren't used much except for maybe some rap stuff.

95% of the music just has solid clean bass and a compressor or limiter can help a bass player warm the notes up and even up their note attacks.

Its better is the player just play the notes consistently however which gets down to developing good playing technique. The bass amp usually does the rest pushing so much air.

• Members

I've been playing these instruments the last few days...It is sometimes difficult to ascertain just how nice an instrument is after playing it for only a short time. The more I play these, well, they do sound nice and are set up great so they aren't too difficult for my old fingers to play :rawk:

Archived