What performance defines electric guitar for you?

knotty

• Members
Hendrix at Monterey' date=' whole set. Kicked butt on anything he did at Woodstock, IMO, and changed electric guitar as we know it. Watch the crowd when he finishes,[b'] they looked confused[/b] as if they just witnessed something totally out of this world, and they did.

drugs?

• Members
Quicksilver Messenger Service's album Happy Trails. Also' date=' [i']Eruption[/i] by EVH.

That album still astounds me by the incredible tone Cippilina was able to get with his Bigsby loaded SG. Robbie Krieger and Barry Melton were also delivering delicious tones with SGs back in those days.

Being a fan of everything guitar, I found this question particularly difficult to interpret. For me, I think it may of been the Stones that first alerted me to the darker colors and emotions that could be invoked by the electric guitar. These two come to mind as songs that tore up the airwaves dominated by folks like Frank Sinatra and Elvis at the time:

[video=youtube;u6d8eKvegLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6d8eKvegLI

[video=youtube;liW_r0c8rj8]

Not that this necessarily defined electric guitar for me but it showed me it's more muscular side.

• Members

I'll go where my goosebumps take me. I remember the first few times I heard Hendrix cranking out 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return).' That was waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy farther out than anything I had heard before. It still gives me the chills hearing it today. I'll be 80 years old with one foot in the grave and that thing will still raise the hairs on my neck.

Hey! How y'all doin? I kinda miss this place.

• Members
I'll go where my goosebumps take me. I remember the first few times I heard Hendrix cranking out 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return).' That was waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy farther out than anything I had heard before. It still gives me the chills hearing it today. I'll be 80 years old with one foot in the grave and that thing will still raise the hairs on my neck.

Hi noise!

very few of the old gang still around.

Its all a bit precious now. Big flames if your not nice to everybody.

Some are trying to get back the old, more mature, robust atmosphere but It aint happening. Very pc happy clappy now.

Good to see you.

• Members

Awesome performance :cool12:

• Members

Hi noise!

very few of the old gang still around.

Its all a bit precious now. Big flames if your not nice to everybody.

Some are trying to get back the old, more mature, robust atmosphere but It aint happening. Very pc happy clappy now.

Good to see you.

Good to see you too, knotty. Good to see some of the gang still here.

• Members
Not forgetting the other Eric. :)

Particularly from 2.30 to 4:00 he is as mesmerising as any classical violinist

[video=youtube_share;smwQafhNU6E]

You beat me to it...

Everything about this is, as you said, mesmerizing. The phrasing, the tone, the technique...all of it.

Archived