Really Guitar Center? You call that a sale?

Zootjeff

• Members

I'm guessing this is just the way the music industry works, but I was stoked to see guitar center's Memorial Day sale coupons. But then the fine print says does not apply to just about EVERY BRAND THEY CARRY.. So is there no way to get deals on new gear these days? All the retailers seem to carry the same stuff at the exact same prices..

• Members

First, the musical instrument industry is a related but different thing from the music industry.

Second, a number of large retailers are all owned by the same entity, so of course the prices are going to be the same.

Third, manufacturers can make stipulations to the retailers on how their products are sold and marketed. This is true in any and every industry. In this case, Guitar Center can't put many of the brands they carry on sale because the manufacturers won't allow it. Little to do with Guitar Center itself.

Fourth, just because there isn't a way to get a deal right when you want it doesn't mean there are no deals at all. Like with any other type of product, you have to be patient and pay attention to find deals that may interest you.

• Members

Lol thanks for the update newsflash...but it's been this way for several years at least.

It doesn't mean that you cant find a good deal. I got a Yamaha Pocketrak CX for like 59 dollars..I called and raced down to get the last one.

If you expecting some sort of flea market deal on a brand new Marshall JVM....well keep dreaming son.

• Members

If you want bargains you should look at the "failed" ranges like the Taylor solid bodies and the ill fated Vox guitar range. Top quality but great value because they never caught the buyers imagination.

• Members

I was just really amazed to see the list. You should check out the page and tell me that it doesn't look odd how long the list of does not apply is.. It reminds me of the drug commercials that have more disclaimers than they do the ad.. It may kill you but hey, depression solved! Here is our promotion, it works for nothing!

First, the musical instrument industry is a related but different thing from the music industry.

Second, a number of large retailers are all owned by the same entity, so of course the prices are going to be the same.

Third, manufacturers can make stipulations to the retailers on how their products are sold and marketed. This is true in any and every industry. In this case, Guitar Center can't put many of the brands they carry on sale because the manufacturers won't allow it. Little to do with Guitar Center itself.

Fourth, just because there isn't a way to get a deal right when you want it doesn't mean there are no deals at all. Like with any other type of product, you have to be patient and pay attention to find deals that may interest you.

Good points... and there's also something called "MAP" (minimum advertised price) agreements that many companies impose on dealers that prevents dealers from advertising products for less than MAP price -- that way, dealers can't undercut each other and devalue the products. That's why you'll often see the same prices advertised from dealer to dealer - even dealers that are unaffiliated will often have the exact same prices listed in their ads because of MAP requirements in their contracts with the manufacturers. MAP prices are set by the manufacturers, and apply equally to all authorized dealers. There isn't a different MAP price for different dealers. It's not price fixing because companies can sell for less than MAP if they want to - they just can't advertise the products for less than MAP.

I suspect that most (if not all) of the companies you see listed in the exception to the sale list are on that list because they insist on being excluded from sales of that kind.

• Members

In the old days pre 2012 I used to check here daily on the HC Deals Thread in the Electric Guitar forum for MF stackable Discount Codes - but for the past 2 years I have reverted to my old "Best Deal strategy" - short of being a store employee

Music Stores will always provide a verbal lower than advertised price just for you - but only if you pick up the phone and call them directly. Today I shop around 365 days a year for the best deal by using direct telephone conversation - Inflation does exist - so shop earlier or look for the older "Last year's model" for the product you are interested in for the deepest discount price.

• Members

A couple of years ago, I was asked to buy a new bass for our church. We have a tax exempt letter on file with a local Guitar Center and that's pretty much the only place we buy gear. There was a sale coming up, 4th of July IIRC, and I checked the sale flyer. About the only brand that was actually on sale was Schecter.

• Members

Good points... and there's also something called "MAP" (minimum advertised price) agreements that many companies impose on dealers that prevents dealers from advertising products for less than MAP price -- that way, dealers can't undercut each other and devalue the products. That's why you'll often see the same prices advertised from dealer to dealer - even dealers that are unaffiliated will often have the exact same prices listed in their ads because of MAP requirements in their contracts with the manufacturers. MAP prices are set by the manufacturers, and apply equally to all authorized dealers. There isn't a different MAP price for different dealers. It's not price fixing because companies can sell for less than MAP if they want to - they just can't advertise the products for less than MAP.

I suspect that most (if not all) of the companies you see listed in the exception to the sale list are on that list because they insist on being excluded from sales of that kind.

Fifth: And if you go in and talk to them they will usually give you that percentage off those on the list. Surprised me in a pleasant way. Got 15% off on nice guitar and good guy even thru in two sets of Elixir strings. Contract may say they can't advertise for less than MAP, but now illegal for manufacturer to set final retail price.

• Members

They had those guitar hangers for $5 each. I snapped up four. They usually cost $18.

I also got a couple of those Piedmont Blues Harmonica packs for $18 each. Something like 7 harmonicas in each of those in different keys.

I have a friend who has two little kids that would love those.

They had a ukulele for $40 that sounded and played great but the intonation was crap.

Archived