can you christians explain something to me?

Double D

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

can you explain something to me?

Why anyone in their right mind gives a {censored} what it says on "Baltimore Christian Conservative Examiner"

anyway the answer is 'because it contradicts what they believe to be the word of god." .... it's a simple and obvious answer really.

• Members

prime example of faith here

(see "Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence)

No, I just expect more than establishing an entire world view on the basis of two things looking similar.

You demonstrated poor logic, nothing more; begging the question and non sequitur fail.

I notice you also ignored my other post challenging you to prove other minds or the spontaneous appearance of the universe... path of least resistance fail.

If you want to talk about grown up stuff like speciation or genetics, let us know.

• Members
No, I just expect more than establishing an entire world view on the basis of two things looking similar.

You demonstrated poor logic, nothing more; begging the question and non sequitur fail.

I notice you also ignored my other post challenging you to prove other minds or the spontaneous appearance of the universe... path of least resistance fail.

If you want to talk about grown up stuff like speciation or genetics, let us know.

No, you missed the point. The idea of evolution is not that a monkey gave birth to a human and we are looking for the for that monkey. The idea is that over many many generations this species underwent mutations in DNA and developed what we now consider to be human-like traits. Far enough down the line we have humans. Other descendants of the original species became other apes.

The theory is not based on two skeletons looking similar, we have found many links in the chain and scientists do have a general chronology of the chain toward humans.

All this said I am religious and understand and believe evolution. To the OP and others: don't label religious people together and assume you understand their individual beliefs. :wave:

• Members

Here's a question: why do people think evolutionary theory is fact? Scientists don't, so why does anyone?

OK, so it's the best science has got at the moment, but the idea of the universe spontaneously springing in to existence however many billion years ago and life evolving by a process nobody has seen in all the years scientists have been observing nature is still pretty speculative, and IMO no more or less ridiculous than the idea of a creator "God", whether you choose to use the Judeo-Christian model of God or not.

Insisting that science and religion (Christianity at least) are in some sort of irreconcilable conflict for the truth is bad science and bad theology.

BTW, Ben Allison gets a big :thu: from me.

• Members

why is it that people with a mediocre understanding of science always try to use it against people of faith.... :idk:

none of my coleagues try to do that, in fact the only people I have really seen try to convince religious people that they are wrong were actually philosophy and social science students/graduates....(or more importantly, all knowing atheist high school students... because we all know, teenagers have the most profound understanding of science and spirituality......) the great irony being is that they dont truly understand any of the science that they are championing as fact, they are just believing it blindly..... always amuses me :)

• Members

Here's a question: why do people think evolutionary theory is fact? Scientists don't, so why does anyone?

I don't belive the whole human 'evolutional theory' is fact, but I do believe animal and plant evolution is proven as true.

....at it's most basic and currently topical, take the 'swine flu' ..... that virus has evolved, mutated, changed or whatever you want to call it, I believe that it's evolved to survive which is what I believe everything in nature does. (or fails and dies) and something that all living things on the planet will probably need to continue doing over the next million years as our planet changes.

Why do I believe it as fact? because there is so much evidence to support it. It's impossible to know for sure I guess, but I feel like I've seen enough to except it as true in the same way I would probably feel safe putting

• Members

Far enough down the line we have humans. Other descendants of the original species became other apes.

The theory is not based on two skeletons looking similar, we have found many links in the chain and scientists do have a general chronology of the chain toward humans.

Yes. I never believed this was about comparing simple morphoplogy; that was Robo's contribution.

Now, the similarities are impossible to ignore; they're plain as day, both genetic and morphological.

The problem, though, is that enough links have not been made to satisfy me, or others. Similarities are not, in and of themselves, proof. The idea that mutation over time leads to new species makes some degree of sense on the surface, but what bothers me is that the concept, while "reasonable," has not really been empirically shown.

We have not clearly shown that the sum total of mutation over time is beneficial. Most mutations we observe are in fact detrimental. What we see is decay and tendency toward entropy, not improvement.

We are focusing on all the similarities at the expense of the differences: a single base pair out of whack can mean deformity, disease, or even a miscarriage and death. 2% difference? 5% difference? 10% difference? Light years distant in some sense.

Furthermore, what we think we know about "natural selection" is kinda falling out from under us:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090330200821.htm

I'm surprised that people who know next to nothing about science are experts when it comes to "science vs religion." It's a joke!

And for all this talk of evolution, no one ever really talks about the possible options for abiogenesis... we leave it in the shadows because abiogenisis is a statistical impossibility. The evolutionst's argument typically depends on it though.

One possible answer is that life came here from somewhere else in the universe... this mean the scientist gets to wash their hands of having to prove how it came to be in the first place

Archived