Line 6 M9?

kriista

• Members
Sure.

Synth O Matic: Waveform 1, High Freq, Low Q, Mid-High Pitch

Rotary Drum/Horn - Fast

Pitch Glide - +1 Octave, low/med mix

It's a fairly intriguing setting really... I did both of those clips on just two strings and if you only have one string ringing at a time, it's fine. No glitch. But the more you have going on, the more glitchy it gets. I'm not sure if it was the added pitch glide, but you can hear where it goes to this low droney octave thing if you've got both strings ringing. Do that a bunch and it can be fairly chaotic.
:D

Sweet. I like how you can keep it clean or glitch it up. Thanks!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally Posted by richrenken
you get 28 seconds. You get separate switches for the parameters. One layer of Undo/Redo and you can run the looper and go back to using your effects.

What tweakable goodies do you like from those pieces of gear?

As far as looping goes, the reason pieces like my beloved EHX 2880 and the Electrix Repeater are superior to the M9 as I understand it, are due to the hardware itself. They both have stereo outs and pan control for the loops / tracks. As a dedicated stereo amp junkie I love the depth created by simply writing / spliting my loops to seperate amps, placed on opposite sides of the stage, for added dimension. The Electrix has an effects loop built in and allows one to plug in external devices to alter the loops as desired.

relating to Softwar. I would love to see a "multiply" like the Gibson Echoplex. I would also love some sort of time stretching ala Ableton. Perhaps set in the menus and then assignable to a knob or expression pedal.

• Members

The 2880 is a $400+ looper. Like, that's all it does. I'm not going to argue that the Line 6 looper is superior in any way, but the comparison doesn't exactly sound fair.

It's multiFX.

By and large, it's not going to stand up to the $400 delays and loopers and overpriced boutique stuff. It's just not.

Will it sound good though, for the average user? Sure. And will it achieve a whole heap of different sounds for a fraction of the cost of buying dedicated versions? Absolutely.

Maybe I should go back and look at the discussion again (and I'm not attacking your argument, just commenting generally while using your post as an example) ... I'm just saying that at some point we're all going to have to settle down with the idea that this $400 mFX box might not have absolutely everything we'll ever need/want and that at the end of the day, while I'm sure L6 wants to make their customers happy, we all have a bottom line and that there's only so much that can be done.

Yes. More new features would be great.

Yes. Expanded control options would be wonderful.

...but all this "well, it can't do what my piece of gear that costs the same and only does one thing" conversation should stop IMO. But that's just me.

I'm just not expecting that this thing will sound as good as my Super Delay. Or my Ernie. Or my RRR. Or Timmy. Or Diamond Comp. Or anything else, really. Because those are things I invested for a (mostly) singular purpose. Will this achieve mostly passable sounds that are similar? Sure. Is that good enough for me? Absolutely.

• Members

The 2880 is a $400+ looper. Like, that's all it does. I'm not going to argue that the Line 6 looper is superior in any way, but the comparison doesn't exactly sound fair.

It's multiFX.

By and large, it's not going to stand up to the $400 delays and loopers and overpriced boutique stuff. It's just not.

Will it sound good though, for the average user? Sure. And will it achieve a whole heap of different sounds for a fraction of the cost of buying dedicated versions? Absolutely.

Maybe I should go back and look at the discussion again (and I'm not attacking your argument, just commenting generally while using your post as an example) ... I'm just saying that at some point we're all going to have to settle down with the idea that this $400 mFX box
might
not have absolutely everything we'll ever need/want and that at the end of the day, while I'm sure L6 wants to make their customers happy, we all have a bottom line and that there's only so much that can be done.

Yes. More new features would be great.

Yes. Expanded control options would be wonderful.

...but all this "well, it can't do what my piece of gear that costs the same and only does one thing" conversation should stop IMO. But that's just me.

I'm just not expecting that this thing will sound as good as my Super Delay. Or my Ernie. Or my RRR. Or Timmy. Or Diamond Comp. Or anything else, really. Because those are things I invested for a (mostly) singular purpose. Will this achieve mostly passable sounds that are similar? Sure. Is that good enough for me? Absolutely.

+1.

i basically look at it as both a looper and a multiFX. the looper alone would easily be worth $200 to me. that means i basically just paid $200 for a {censored} ton of effects that i otherwise would not be able to afford individually. like a {censored}ing korg x911--i couldn't afford one even if i did find one--and even then it's probably a sound i'd use on like couple songs. i couldn't justify spending $$ on a real one. imho, some of the models come very close to the more expensive dedicated pedals. the Echorec for example--tonewise, they got very close. yes there was a difference--yes i prefer the real thing. but it was close enough that most people probably couldn't tell the difference, maybe even myself if it was a totally blind comparison.

• Members
Originally Posted by richrenken

you get 28 seconds. You get separate switches for the parameters. One layer of Undo/Redo and you can run the looper and go back to using your effects.

What tweakable goodies do you like from those pieces of gear?

As far as looping goes, the reason pieces like my beloved EHX 2880 and the Electrix Repeater are superior to the M9 as I understand it, are due to the hardware itself. They both have stereo outs and pan control for the loops / tracks. As a dedicated stereo amp junkie I love the depth created by simply writing / spliting my loops to seperate amps, placed on opposite sides of the stage, for added dimension. The Electrix has an effects loop built in and allows one to plug in external devices to alter the loops as desired.

relating to Softwar. I would love to see a "multiply" like the Gibson Echoplex. I would also love some sort of time stretching ala Ableton. Perhaps set in the menus and then assignable to a knob or expression pedal.

One of the major guys behind the Repeater works here at Line 6, yet, the DL4, M9, and M13 don't have that extensive of a looper in them. Why? Simple, the looper in these products is for "in the moment" "on the fly" crazyness while playing with your band. Of course guys have done amazing stuff with them in the Looper community, my favorite being Genie. If you haven't seen what he does with a DL4, go YouTube him.

So, what you are saying above is correct but the looper in these products will never be a full featured looper like those but it was never the intent. :)

• Members

most of us understand this, some are wanting everything for nothing

I am not expecting everything for nothing. If you are literate enough to read my post, I quote RichRenkin asking what it is about the other looping hardware we like. I then responded in kind. Details people. Read slower.

• Members

I am not expecting everything for nothing. If you are literate enough to read my post, I quote RichRenkin asking what it is about the other looping hardware we like. I then responded in kind. Details people. Read slower.

Hey six, do you run Logic?

• Members

It wasnt aimed entirely at you... no harm intent

it just seems this thread has a lot of negativity and people wanting so so much from something that really for its price, does far more than expected.

wasnt meant at you, it was more a general comment

• Members

Hey six, do you run Logic?

Yes. I use logic for recording song demos and such. I just purchased a stereo pair of ribbon mics (Cascade Fatheads w/ Lundhal trannys) so I can persue a more polished recording process of my tunes. I will never try to record drums and the like. I prefer going to a studio and just concerning myself with playing.

• Members

Why ribbon mics, and why do you say that they'll give you a more polished recording process?

No highjack intended but I'll answer. Ribbons offer a more natural sound. They are figure 8 mostly and pick up the room as much as the sound source. Albini uses ribbons on guitars. It diificult to argue againt the results. I hate the close mic sound. It makes no sense. People don't listen to their amp with their ear pressed against the grill, so why mic it that way.

When I reference polished recording I mean instead of quick, simple demos to hand off to my band mates so we can work up the song together, I plan on spending more time creating "demos" that can be built upon in a studio later. It's just a different approach to songwriting I'm taking on. I split my time between Brooklyn an philly and I'm playing with a large pool of folks who are difficult o get together in the same room for weekly practice sessions.

The new version of my band Six Acre Lake will have two drummers, bass, sax, vibes, violin, guitar, synth, Rhodes.

• Members
Yeah but they're expensive and fragile and you can ruin them with phantom power
:mad:

there are good, inexpensive ribbon mics. but they are fragile and require a little bit of awareness when using them.

they're not for every application--but they're easily my favorite mic in terms of the results.

• Members
Yeah but they're expensive and fragile and you can ruin them with phantom power
:mad:

Don't be retarded.

People here spend so much money on effects and then run them through a {censored}ty amp like a epi jr or the like. Or better yet theY get a killer amp / guitar / effects rig and hope to capture thousands of dollars of gear with a {censored}ty mic like an sm 57 that you have to unnaturally press against your amp to use. Stick an sm57 12 inches or so back from your amp Anne you get garbage. As I said above no one plays with their ear pressed against their amp so why mic it that way?

Don't be retarded.

Some ribbons like the Coles, Royer, and Beyers are pricey. The Cascade Fatheads I ordered are not and they get killer reviews and fantastic tones.

• Members

Oh come now, don't be brash. Ribbon mics have their problems.

Why mic it that way? Because that's how 57s and mics like that work best. There's nothing unnatural about it, it's just different to how our ears perceive it.

I record my free, solid state amp with a 57 and I get pretty great results. So I dunno. YMMV. Just because the 57 is cheap doesn't mean it's a bad mic. Studios use them all the time.

• Members

Ribbon mics.

Take EQ VERY well.

Are a little more gracious with how they treat the high end.

They're not ALL expensive... the GREAT ones are, but the CAD Triton Ribbons, Cascades, or any number of cheap-but-modded ribbons are very usable.

Also, they CAN freak out with phantom power, but most properly built ribbons are just fine.

Many can also handle an amp going full-tilt.

• Members

mic's, mic placement, mic pre's can play a big role in your recorded tone--they're not subtle flavors. moving the same mic even a couple inches around a sound source can drastically change the eq, dynamics, etc.

mics are supposed to pic up sound in an uncolored fashion, sure there are subtle flavors to them but a whole different thing than a guitar amp which is specifically voiced for a certain sound.

• Members

mic's, mic placement, mic pre's can play a big role in your recorded tone--they're not subtle flavors. moving the same mic even a couple inches around a sound source can drastically change the eq, dynamics, etc.

I wasn't talking about mic placement or preamps, and yes, both of those make a big difference

thanks

Archived