Line 6 M9?

kriista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We worked long and hard to get them to match, as you have pointed out, we got it close. It is a smidgen different.

It is the one model where we did not take away that collapse to mono phasey sound. I don't think there is anything more we can do.

Hi Rich - the answer above is one you gave me in response to my point ( and others have made this point as well ) that the auto swell volume delay on the M9 & M13 doesnt sound quite the same or as lush as on the Dl4....

That being said - could you get the new guy ( you've mentioned him on some posts ) at Line 6 to take a stab at it ?? The guy that you said was new that did the models on the new Analog Flanger patches ?? I think you've said he modeled the BBD chip or something. He F'n NAILED those and they sound awesome...

Also as an FYI the new " script phaser " sounds EXACTLEY like my MXR 74 re-issue handwired phaser.... I did an A/B test last night and they were virually indistinguishable from each other...... and being able to tap in the speed if wanted is very cool...

I'm loving this M9 more every day...

• Members
It wasnt aimed entirely at you... no harm intent

it just seems this thread has a lot of negativity and people wanting so so much from something that really for its price, does far more than expected.

wasnt meant at you, it was more a general comment

I am the Line 6 guy here and I haven't felt the negativity. :) I love to hear what guys want. I may argue to the high heavens, but I am listening and it is because of all the back and forth on the M13 that the M9 was created and the update went to the M13.

• Members

I'll bet you anything the M9 becomes the bigger deal of the two. It's small and inconspicuous.

To the guys that own one - how's the bypass? I remember the DL4 also being touted as "true bypass" but it was found to have some definite tone coloration when off. Is it the same deal with the M9?

The bypass is excellent IMHO. You can set it up internally as True Bypass if wanted or you can use the DPS or buffered bypass...

I use the DPS buffer myself....it's a very good sounding buffer and I think it helps my overall tone.

• Members

No highjack intended but I'll answer. Ribbons offer a more natural sound. They are figure 8 mostly and pick up the room as much as the sound source. Albini uses ribbons on guitars. It diificult to argue againt the results. I hate the close mic sound. It makes no sense. People don't listen to their amp with their ear pressed against the grill, so why mic it that way.

When I reference polished recording I mean instead of quick, simple demos to hand off to my band mates so we can work up the song together, I plan on spending more time creating "demos" that can be built upon in a studio later. It's just a different approach to songwriting I'm taking on. I split my time between Brooklyn an philly and I'm playing with a large pool of folks who are difficult o get together in the same room for weekly practice sessions.

The new version of my band Six Acre Lake will have two drummers, bass, sax, vibes, violin, guitar, synth, Rhodes.

First of all, TWO DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

I love and use a Royer 121 to record guitars, sometimes. It is a certain kind of sound. I also like mixing with it with a 57 off axis. Close mic'ing though is done in a majority of guitar recordings especially for heavy guitars. Do you listen to Alice in Chains? Just wondered if you hate the sound of the Dirt record.

• Members
just listen to any of the wonderful recording by Albini. Nirvana' In Utero for example. The guitar tones are figure 8 ribbons. You can't argue with the kick ass recorded evidence Albini puts out. Neurosis, Nirvana, the Jesus Lizard, Shellac etc. etc.

I'm not dissing the 57 cause it's cheap. I'm dissing it because it needs to be shoved up against the grill of your amp to "work" and the sonic results are quite {censored}e. Again I ask who shoves their ear up against the grill of their amp when playing? No one. So why record that way.

Ribbins operate similar to how our ears work and capture a more "natural" sound. By natural I mean how you percieve the sound of your amp, in the room, while playing.

For electric guitars I recommend everyone try a ribbon. You'll thank me later.

Absolutely, everyone should try a ribbon mic. They are killer.

But because Steve has an opinion about them doesn't mean that is the last word. I love the sound of AIC's Dirt and Stabbing Westward's Darkest Days or Social Distortion's Between Heaven and Hell and those were all recorded with a 57 closed mic'd by engineer Bryan Carlstrom because he loves the aggressiveness and thinks that when kids listen to heavy guitars they want to feel like they have been run over by a law mower. It gets weird when we talk in absolutes.

Like this thread is about M9. I helped bring this product to the market. I don't like Rotary w/Horn or the UniVibe. :) It is totally cool to not like something. But that doesn't mean someone else will. :)

• Members
I'll bet you anything the M9 becomes the bigger deal of the two. It's small and inconspicuous.

It doesn't
look
like a multi-effects unit and this is a huge deal to me, because in my mind, there's still a huge stigma to using multi effects units. I mean, hell, they all sounded god awful until quite recently. I think Line 6 is going to pave the way for a lot of companies realizing that guitarists don't want something that's going to replace every pedal on their board, or something that's so goddamn gigantic that there's no room left for anything else.

It's like... give me something with a small footprint, something without an extraneous amp modeling section that I'm going to bypass anyway, and something that integrates into the board I already have. The M9 is the first product I've seen, ever, that actually fits that market niche. I'll be buying one very, very soon.

To the guys that own one - how's the bypass? I remember the DL4 also being touted as "true bypass" but it was found to have some definite tone coloration when off. Is it the same deal with the M9?

Yeah, I think it's the small size of the M9 that really has everyone so excited. I'm thinking: finally a sophisticated multi that can be used as part of my pedalboard.

BTW, I tried to buy one at GC yesterday (I saw that had a few in stock last week). The GC dude said it's not really on the market yet and they weren't suppose to sell the ones that they sold. :confused:

• Members

First of all, TWO DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

I love and use a Royer 121 to record guitars, sometimes. It is a certain kind of sound. I also like mixing with it with a 57 off axis. Close mic'ing though is done in a majority of guitar recordings especially for heavy guitars. Do you listen to Alice in Chains? Just wondered if you hate the sound of the Dirt record.

I love the Royer 121 as well and it has earned it's excellent rep for electric guitar recording. It seems to be the go to mic when you show up at a studio. That said, I went with the cascades because I've had good experience with it in studios and it is a cheaper alternative to a stereo pair of 121 which I can not justify for my home recording efforts.

There are plenty of recordings I like using the mic on the grill technique but in my recording experience when I am in the studio, and my amps have many mics placed, I almost always favor the ribbon. Blending with a sm57 or other dynamic works well to sometimes.

Back to the M9...

I ordered one from Sweetwater, since I had a credit there, and I am looking forward to workng this into my pedalboard. I've stated before my love for Guitar Rig and the new updates are stellar but it could be nice to not have my laptop at venues. Enter the M9. Im still anticipating using my beloved loopers (akai Headrush / EHX 2880) but I'm thinking the M9 would handle all my delay / modulation needs. I'm curious how I'll simulate the modifiers I like in GR4 with the M9. I also use an EHX Hum Debugger as a "gate" since my guitars are quite noisy. How does the M9 aid one in eliminating hum from a Jazzmaster or SG Classic with p90s.

Also it's awesome your here answering our questions and drumming up ideas for future software updates.

• Members

Rich,

Since one of the cats from Electrix is working with you at Line6 what's the hold up for a line6, rackmountable, hardware looper ala the repeater. Sorry to say it but the floor looper you put out is a super lemon. I can't help but believe that an updated, feature rich, rackmount looper would sell well.

Built in, assignable effects loop. Real time stretch, multiply, USB port for saving loops, midi sync, external footswitch, etc...Whatever you do though keep the cheesball drum tracks away.

• Members

It's not he mic alone. Never said it was. What I did say, repeatedly, is that many focus on ONE part of their signal chain instead of the myriad other things that play a part in a quality recording. Having a setup like many here, 2-3 grand worth of pedals and cables and skimp elsewhere is a disservice. It's the equivilant of a formula one car running on unleaded regular gas. It's not gonna perform it's best.

Do you use Apogee A/D converters?

• Members

Why don't you look into the M13 instead? I mean unless you plan to use other devices with the midi controller.

Even with the M13 a small midi controller controlling the loop functions leaving all twelve switches open and ready for what you are looping would be cool. That is why we put that functionality in there.

• Members

Yeah, I think it's the small size of the M9 that really has everyone so excited. I'm thinking:
finally
a sophisticated multi that can be used as part of my pedalboard.

BTW, I tried to buy one at GC yesterday (I saw that had a few in stock last week). The GC dude said it's not really on the market yet and they weren't suppose to sell the ones that they sold.
:confused:

It ok.. I had a guy at GC say "let me look that up to see if we sell that brand"

....when I asked about the EHX Memory boy.:mad::facepalm:

• Members
Rich,

Since one of the cats from Electrix is working with you at Line6 what's the hold up for a line6, rackmountable, hardware looper ala the repeater. Sorry to say it but the floor looper you put out is a super lemon. I can't help but believe that an updated, feature rich, rackmount looper would sell well.

Built in, assignable effects loop. Real time stretch, multiply, USB port for saving loops, midi sync, external footswitch, etc...Whatever you do though keep the cheesball drum tracks away.

i don't think rackmount would be the way to go. I own a Digital Echoplex and it's amazing, but carting it around in a rackcase in additional to my pedals is a huge pain in the ass.

i think if Line 6 were going to develop a dedicated looper to replace the JM4 (which i agree isn't very good at all) they should do so based on the form factor of the M9, but taylor it to include the unique looper capabilities we desire so much from the rack based units, such as Multiplying loops, multiple undo/redo, time stretching etc etc

The display size of the current M9 would be more than adequate to display loop status/length etc etc and i'm sure the six footswitches and five dials would be flexible enough to control everything.

How about it Rich? :cool:

• Members

It doesn't
look
like a multi-effects unit and this is a huge deal to me,

But that is why I laid out the M13 to vibe like a bradshaw or ground control controller. :) Nice and vibey.

• Members

Quick question about the M9, can it cop the glitchy, fake sounding octaves of a Whammy? It may seem strange but I hope it has a pitchshifter patch that doesn't track very well, glitchy octaves are a big part of my sound. If it can pull those off I'm officially getting one as soon as I have the funds.

It can kind of. It actually tracks so well that the glitchyness is not quite as musical as the WH1. But a buddy at work figured a way to give that back. Run the Pitch Glide into the Echo Platter set as follows. 20 ms, no feedback, wow/flt at about 60 percent to taste, drive at about 40% to taste and full mix. It gives it more of that iron lung thing.

• Members

Hi Rich - the answer above is one you gave me in response to my point ( and others have made this point as well ) that the auto swell volume delay on the M9 & M13 doesnt sound quite the same or as lush as on the Dl4....

That being said - could you get the new guy ( you've mentioned him on some posts ) at Line 6 to take a stab at it ?? The guy that you said was new that did the models on the new Analog Flanger patches ?? I think you've said he modeled the BBD chip or something. He F'n NAILED those and they sound awesome...

Also as an FYI the new " script phaser " sounds EXACTLEY like my MXR 74 re-issue handwired phaser.... I did an A/B test last night and they were virually indistinguishable from each other...... and being able to tap in the speed if wanted is very cool...

I'm loving this M9 more every day...

That is the guy who matched them. So sorry. It is very close.

That is the one we were inspired by for the new Script Phaser.

• Members
I love the Royer 121 as well and it has earned it's excellent rep for electric guitar recording. It seems to be the go to mic when you show up at a studio. That said, I went with the cascades because I've had good experience with it in studios and it is a cheaper alternative to a stereo pair of 121 which I can not justify for my home recording efforts.

There are plenty of recordings I like using the mic on the grill technique but in my recording experience when I am in the studio, and my amps have many mics placed, I almost always favor the ribbon. Blending with a sm57 or other dynamic works well to sometimes.

Back to the M9...

I ordered one from Sweetwater, since I had a credit there, and I am looking forward to workng this into my pedalboard. I've stated before my love for Guitar Rig and the new updates are stellar but it could be nice to not have my laptop at venues. Enter the M9. Im still anticipating using my beloved loopers (akai Headrush / EHX 2880) but I'm thinking the M9 would handle all my delay / modulation needs. I'm curious how I'll simulate the modifiers I like in GR4 with the M9. I also use an EHX Hum Debugger as a "gate" since my guitars are quite noisy. How does the M9 aid one in eliminating hum from a Jazzmaster or SG Classic with p90s.

Also it's awesome your here answering our questions and drumming up ideas for future software updates.

Oh for sure on the cascades. John at Royer is a buddy and before I could afford one, he let me borrow them when I needed them. :)

I am not sure how to answer your questions on the M9 because I am not super familiar with those pieces. I am sure one of these guys will jump in and help out. You seem to be a man with ears. I hope you dig your M9 and I of course will love to hear your take on it. :)

• Members
Rich,

First of all. Because we wouldn't sell many. :) It is a smaller market and Boss dominates it. But I can tell you, him and I are dying to be involved with a cool one. You are busting me on the JM4. I agree. But I only agree that it lemon in the respect that it isn't a full featured looper. I named it the JM4 Looper and then another guy took over the project and it lost some features I was pushing for. :( I really was bummed that it was to late to change the name. As far as a cool, go home, have a beer and jam with yourself box, it is a blast. It has done real well.

Also, my friend Greg Bissonette, as well as Carmen Appice among others are the drummers on those tracks, so I can't roll with your cheeseball assessment. :)

• Members

Cool. You are a man of discernment. Did Steve record your band?

I have recorded at Electrical but as an auxillary member of a friends band. Just added some tidbits. Once I have my new material worked up the plan is to head to Electrical. My new Six Acre Lake with two drummers idea requires Steves touch I believe. He gets THE BEST drum sounds in my opinion.

Archived