$2500 Klon

Rizza

• Members

Saw this at TGP: http://cgi.ebay.com/Klon-Centaur-Overdrive-UBER-RARE-ORIGINAL-CIRCUIT-236_W0QQitemZ300398760007QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item45f1295047

This is a rare 1st issue Klon "Centaur" Overdrive. Being thee most highly desired, most collectible overdrive pedal ever built - I'm not letting her go easy.

The earliest models are well-known as the best of the best!

Take a close look at the comparative photos:Note the extra resistor at the top of the PCB on the later models. This is the original 1st issue Klon "Centaur" in all its glory!

The original circuit has a certain "grit / growl" that differs from the later models. And you thought that you owned an original Klon! Shame on you.

Titles say it all! These 1st issue models have long been secured into private collections. This is probably the only chance you'll ever have to own the best - the original - Klon "Centaur" Overdrive.

This has never been gigged. The bottom plate has some light marks on it. The dark spots are part of the early sand-mold finish. Comes with the original box, instructions, and adapter.

First thoughts: :eek::facepalm:

• Members

This has never been gigged.

why do people always have to say this? does gigging a pedal make it likely to explode?

Note the extra resistor at the top of the PCB on the later models.

holy {censored} an extra resistor! this makes it worth an extra $1500 at least

• Members

It's still up for sale, so i'm guessing that the price is a couple of dollars too high. :) The problem with the used and rare market nowadays is that people list things for retarded prices and they'd rather sit on them for awhile than sell it. Which I guess I can see in a way--you want to try to get as much as you can for something--but when i've sold something, i've always tried to sell it at a price that I feel is reasonable....players prices--not price gouging.

I've also seen the converse thing happen.....you sell it for a reasonable price, some dealer/ collector guy comes around and snags it for the reasonable players type price that you let it go for, then they're the guys jacking up the price on EBay or Kijiji or wherever and sitting on it for days or weeks longer than they would have, just to hold out for the high price that they want. So you really kind of can't win. In fairness to some sellers, you have to inflate the price astronomically, just so that the dealer guys don't resell that a day later for $500 bucks later.

That being said, $2500 dollars for any pedal (including Dallas Rangemasters) is a couple of thousand more than they're worth. The price--like anything--is dictated more by demand than what I feel is actual worth. Which isn't the problem as much as that it's a relatively small few that ironically drive up the price, anyways. No one I know would pay even half of that for any guitar pedal.

• Members

"The original circuit has a certain "grit / growl" that differs from the later models. And you thought that you owned an original Klon! Shame on you."

shame on me because I don't own an 'original klon' ... yeah, how can people live with themselves not having an 'original' ... I feel so ashamed with myself. :facepalm:

• Members

why do people always have to say this? does gigging a pedal make it likely to explode?

I think it's a holdover from the days when people used to be able to smoke in bars.

Not only would pedals get knocked around during travel to and from shows, stomped on hard during songs, and potentially have beer spilled on them, but they also would sit in a smoky room for hours and hours every weekend getting grimy inside.

I don't care what has happened to a pedal as long as it sounds good, but some people want their {censored} to look like it has been in a hermetically sealed lucite case its whole life.

• Members

I don't know what's sadder -- selling an OD for $2,500 or the fact that if this thread was posted at TGP we'd all be banned for posting in it.

Wrong! There's a thread there too, with more posts than in this one! No profanity though...

As for the the $2500 Klon...abso{censored}inglutely goddamn stupid. {censored}, people are dumb.

• Members

I know it's been said before in here, in essence, but for $2500 I could get a 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva. Pretty sure the OD on there will be better for my tone than a Klon. No offense, Bill. :facepalm:

(Nothing against the Klon. I've got one incoming, but $2500 is damned ridiculous, and yes, I will be gigging my Klon. Looks like no $2500 resale for mine. :lol:)

Archived