NAD (JCM800 content)

jhamnett

• Members

As you guys know from my other thread (Lookie what I found...) I came across a Marshall JCM800 4210 on the local CL for $300. Well, I'm happy to report that it's the real {censored}ing deal and I bought'd! :thu:

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

(guess it began life in LA? :lol:)

So there are a couple issues. I still bought at the price because the dude pulled the "there's 6 others wanting to check it out" card, and, well... gotta believe that. Nothing too big, here it goes:

1 - No ground on the plug. This could explain the other issues and I didn't discover this until I brought it back to demo for the roommate. Hopefully a new plug will solve these...

2 - Some one octave down stuff happening on the higher frets. I'd attribute that to a bad preamp tube.

3 - Turning on the reverb creates a loud hum. Again, could be tubes or lack of ground.

I might get it recapped anyway, just because. I'm still pretty {censored}ing happy!! :D

(Yes, that is a real Rola Celestion G12-65, and I checked... Drake transformers!! :eek:)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hell of a deal mang! hope the issues get solved easily... Seems like they should... Enjoy it!

Yeah, and I don't mind shelling out a little money to get this thing running at full speed. I'm gonna try to sell my JTM60 for a good price and the profit should help me with any repair costs, for sure.

• Members

OK, reverb hum is gone!! Reverb itself is pretty, well, nonexistant. So, that will need to be looked at anyway. The octave down thing doesn't happen all the time and is definitely a tube thing. So, in summary... HELL YES

Yeah, you remember that ground lift thread? Well, this was the WRONG WAY:

IMG_2830.jpg

Cool - that's what I was hoping I'd see.

Go down to your local hardware store (TODAY) and get yourself a replacement UL rated power plug. Any local hardware store should carry them, and it shouldn't cost more than a coupe of bucks... they look something like this:

America_power_plug_515P.jpg

A pair of wire cutters / strippers, a screwdriver, and five minutes of your time and your amp will have a grounded power plug on it again. :)

Archived