NAD (JCM800 content)

jhamnett

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I'm getting OD on the normal channel, so that COULD be it.

Yea for sure, you never know. All I had to do was turn up real loud and away they went. I was reading a q&a with Scott Henderson after that and he said he experienced the same thing with the V30's. I've made it happen with both though.

Or just use the extra power cord I had lying around. I love amps that have removable cords!!

IEC sockets FTW. :phil:

I was thinking it had a attached power lead on it - the IEC jack makes things super easy. :)

PS Chop up and discard that death trap cable please. :wave:

Siemens makes some good tubes, so I agree that you shouldn't be too quick to ditch those if they're not worn out. How is the volume on the amp - pretty loud? If so, then the sonic issues you're hearing are probably not the fault of the power tubes... I'd guess preamp tubes and / or bad caps.

How did you get the verb working - tube swap?

Might it be useful if I'm running two amps and a A/B/Y box?

I'm not comfortable recommending that. It's too easy to grab / use the wrong one in a single amp situation, and that is just flat out UNsafe. :(

There are better ways to deal with power and ground loops. Ones that are safer and won't potentially make you DEAD. ;)

• Members

Siemens makes some good tubes, so I agree that you shouldn't be too quick to ditch those if they're not worn out. How is the volume on the amp - pretty loud? If so, then the sonic issues you're hearing are probably not the fault of the power tubes... I'd guess preamp tubes and / or bad caps.

Yeah, the Sovetks in the preamp are gonna go. The OD is sounding badass, so I'll keep the power tubes for now.

Oh, got the reverb buzz to go away with the other power cord.

• Members

Siemens makes some good tubes, so I agree that you shouldn't be too quick to ditch those if they're not worn out. How is the volume on the amp - pretty loud? If so, then the sonic issues you're hearing are probably not the fault of the power tubes... I'd guess preamp tubes
and / or bad caps.

usually sympathetic notes like that are bad caps......it's over 20 years old, and i would be 99% sure it's never been serviced......welcome to vintage amp land....but it's worth it, especially since it was only $300....

• Members
I'm not comfortable recommending that. It's too easy to grab / use the wrong one in a single amp situation, and that is just flat out UNsafe.
:(

There are better ways to deal with power and ground loops. Ones that are safer and won't potentially make you DEAD.
;)

OK then... it's gone!

• Members

usually sympathetic notes like that are bad caps......it's over 20 years old, and i would be 99% sure it's never been serviced......welcome to vintage amp land....but it's worth it, especially since it was only $300....

Yeah, I always had the intention of giving this to my amp tech to look over. I'm sure the caps need to be replaced.

Should probably have my Ampeg VT-22 looked at too... when I actually bring it down here from Boston...

• Members
Robopimp'd. Nice score!
:thu:

Almost... Robo's got the 4010, single channel version, no reverb. This one has reverb and is channel switching, although the other one can be, kinda, with an A/B box going into its two inputs. Single input for me.

But thanks Crxsh!! :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I always had the intention of giving this to my amp tech to look over. I'm sure the caps need to be replaced.

Should probably have my Ampeg VT-22 looked at too... when I actually bring it down here from Boston...

get er done......by the way, as Phil noted, those Siemens tubes are VERY sought after......hopefully they are OK.

i would simply get it re-capped, and then experiment with the preamp tubes, more than likely they are OK as well.

probably less than $200 to get the amp recapped and up to speed. you will still have less than $500 in it, and that amp at current market value is $800 or so......SCORE!

and they have a GLORIOUS marshall noise in a small footprint.....

• Members

get er done......by the way, as Phil noted, those Siemens tubes are VERY sought after......hopefully they are OK.

i would simply get it re-capped, and then experiment with the preamp tubes, more than likely they are OK as well.

probably less than $200 to get the amp recapped and up to speed. you will still have less than $500 in it, and that amp at current market value is $800 or so......SCORE!

and they have a GLORIOUS marshall noise in a small footprint.....

Oh word, didn't know Siemens tubes were sought after! The amp does sound great right now... might just run it on the normal channel, monstrous tone when cranked and great interaction with the guitar's volume control!!

Boost channel is nice for switching to a scooped mids sound since there's no mids control on the normal channel. I'm gonna have fun dialing in different sounds on this one!

• Members
Sweet deal, I love my 800.

And, gotta say, HOLY VOLUME KNOB INTERACTION BATMAN!! Just pulled out my Strat and it was heaven, could clean it up with a little twist when the amp was full out!! :eek:

I've never experienced such satisfaction with buying an amp.

• Members

And, gotta say, HOLY VOLUME KNOB INTERACTION BATMAN!! Just pulled out my Strat and it was heaven, could clean it up with a little twist when the amp was full out!!
:eek:

I've never experienced such satisfaction with buying an amp.

Try throwing a clean boost between that str a and the amp. ;)

• Members

Just noticed my speaker in there is 15 Ohm, and the selector is for 8 Ohm. I know this is OK since higher impedance doesn't overload the amp. Now... if I hookup an extension cab with a 16 Ohm speaker in it, I get a little less than 8 Ohms... should I run the selector at 4 Ohms? Can I safely run at the 16 Ohm setting right now?

I typically try to run at the correct setting always, so this 15 Ohm speaker is throwing me off. Advice?

FYI: I can run 4, 8, 16 Ohms off the amp with the selector.

PS - the reverb is tube drive, gonna replace that tube and see how it responds.

Archived